Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

Gear or Transmission noise

45K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  Hitt 
#1 ·
I started out thinking it was my axle knocking but turns out it wasnt. In low and high gear i have a constant knocking noise and it gets louder the more load i put on the vehicle especially going up hill. I have checked the rear end, the axles, and the u-joints and they are all fine. The noise seems to be coming from where the rear drive shaft goes into the back of the motors or its in the transmission. Either way its not good. Anyone else have this problem or know what it could be. I removed the drive shafts and put it in gear and it still makes the noise so i know it is internal. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 ·
X2 on belt, let us know what u find

#4 ·
I had the exact same noise, and the bad news is that it is a fairly expensive fix. Mine ended up being the bevel drive gears. The dealer where I live wanted $600 bucks for the two gears but I ended up getting them off of the internet for around two hundred. I did the work myself and it took quite awhile because some of the bolts are really hard to get at. To see if its your problem you have to disconnect the back drive shaft and undo the four bolts around the shaft that is sticking out of the motor. Once those are off you can see the two gears. If they look a bit worn then that is your problem. Mine had a couple of chunks missing out of them. I changed the gears and the problem was solved. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

#5 ·
Always check the simple things first. Does it go away the fast you go? If its the belt, its from slipping it from a heavy load when the clutch first engages. It puts an indention on both sides of the belt. When you get going as the belt comes around it hits those indentions and cause the clutch and the weights to clatter. I have done it, thought I tore up the tranny, its a hell of a noise and the sound bounces around under the bed and its hard to pin point it. The thing with this at faster speeds it goes away cause the belt rides up the sheave and alot more of the belt is contacting the sheave.

#6 ·
I've got this same problem that I noticed on a ride yesterday. Makes the noise in 2 wheel and 4 wheel, slow speeds and higher speeds until engine and exhause noise take over. Kinds sounds like a chain rattleing noise. Any other input will help, thanks.

#8 ·
I've got mine tore down and up on blocks, and have a hard time duplicating the noise, took the front shaft off and ran it, then the rear.

I did notice that my front shaft has a lot of play in it, is this comon?

#10 ·
Mine is making a popping noise that from what I can tell is coming from the transmission. I doesn't do it all the time and I've only heard it when is low gear coming up a hill or with a load on the vehicle of some kind. Could this still be the belt? I'm gonna check either ways but I'm just wondering? You guys with the bevel gear issues, did yours make the popping noise consistenly. I can't get mine to reproduce it but it's not a good sound and startles me when it happens. It almost sounds like a rock being slung real hard into the bottom of the bad right behind the seat. Kinda sounds like its on the driver's side as well. Thanks for any input.

#16 · (Edited)
Hey guys im new to this site and I just bought a 09 teryx le and it started clattering in the belt box slash rear motor area any help wd be helpfull.i have been told bevel gears but it only has 24 hrs on it surely not that HELP PLEASE

Ive got same problem but checked bevel gears and they are good any ideas wd be helpfull dnt know how I wd adjust the shift linkage I took it loose and run it and it does the same

#19 ·
All,
I get that it's normal gear chatter that makes the all famous clunking sound but has anyone ever had really intense clunking when the rear wheels are slipping (no traction)? On a few seperate occasions I have had my 2013 Teryx 4 out on sand or mud hills and every once in awhile when the rear wheels are slipping the clunking gets extremely intensified. I can't imagine it's normal, just wondering if anyone else get the clunking much more severely when the back end is trying to get traction. Nearest dealer is 5 hours away, really don't want to take it all the way down there for him to tell me it's "normal". Anyone else having this issue?

#20 ·
My first thought would be bevel gears. I just got done replacing mine(pulled my motor) and I had major slipping and very loud noise when in any gear. It would slip about every 50 feet or so and pop real loud. I would check them first. Or the belt, you never know with belts.

Sent from the random thoughts processed through my fingers.

#21 ·
Skidz,
Thanks for the reply. With only 25 hours and 400km's on the machine it would have to be a factory defect. I do not ride the machine hard and for the most part a 3 and 5 year old have been my passengers. I noticed the banging pretty much since new. I guess I'll have to call Kawi and see what they have to say. Thanks so much for the reply. You guys are great!!

#22 ·
Ok everyone who has had loud popping or banging noises under load....does it only do this in two wheel drive ? Mine did this and i tore it down and checked everything i could but everything always checked out good. It wasn't till i raised the rear wheels off the ground with a floor jack and put it in two wheel drive to try and isolate if it was the rear end or not. Motor running i put it in gear to run it up only to realize that the machine was moving forward even tho it said it was in two wheel drive (front wheels were still locked in four wheel drive). I adjusted the 2wd/4wd cable down on the right side of the diff so that when it says its in 2wd on the dash it actually is in 2wd , same goes for the 4wd . takes a little playing with to get it right . Noise gone and runs good ever since. same thing happened on my quad a 700 Prairie popping bad under load like giving it shit through deep snow or something (thought my front diff was going to explode ) just adjusted the shift rod so that it went into gear just a little bit more and again problem solved ! Hope this post helps someone with their issues !

#24 ·
You also may want to take the cable off and clean it out/ get a new one also. It will get dirt and everything else in there and cause it to stick in one position if you notice it's not switching. Just some more food for thought.

Sent from the random thoughts processed through my fingers.

#27 ·
I have the same problem and thought it was wet brake but today I think I solved the problem. After going over it several times I notice the axle on left behind drive side . Look like it was out of differential about a 1/4 inch so I jack back up of ground and work wheels back and forth while pushing axle inward and it slip all the way in.
Took it for a test drive and that cracking sound was gone. So somehow that axle had slip out which it wasn't hitting inside gear and was slipping on it. Which I believe thar the position tracking gear. You might want to check that before spending money on other repairs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.