Kawasaki Teryx Forum Header Left   Kawasaki Teryx Forum Header Right

How can we make sidexsides legal in other states

This is a discussion on How can we make sidexsides legal in other states within the General Teryx Discussion forums, part of the Kawsaki Teryx Forum General Teryx category; Like say Missouri. We allow dune buggies and trikes. Now some trikes are god awful and I have even seen one made from wood! So ...


Go Back   Kawasaki Teryx Forum > General Teryx > General Teryx Discussion

General Teryx Discussion For General Teryx talk. If it's about Teryx's and does not fall into another category, it belongs here!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 04:41 AM
jaketruck's Avatar  
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Branson Missouri
Posts: 444
How can we make sidexsides legal in other states

Like say Missouri. We allow dune buggies and trikes. Now some trikes are god awful and I have even seen one made from wood! So what the hell would be the difference in allowing a utv on the street, given it was properly setup. It seems like the atv Manufacturers would put effort into the legalization of said vehicles to boost sells. Alot of the UTV's are now 15k and even more. More people would consider that if they could make use of them as a runaround rig too! I think anyway.
__________________
08,fst 840,triple x seat package,pds k2 cage,k2 48" bed,fusion head unit with 8" rockford speakers, muzzy pro exhaust. DASA/FUEL LONG TRAVEL
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
TeryxForums.net is the premier Kawasaki Teryx Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
   
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:04 AM
Murarik35's Avatar  
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houtzdale, PA
Posts: 489
Insurance... Turn signals.. and DOT tires i believe... might have to get it registered or somethign also.. Im in pa and thinking about doin it also.
__________________
09 LE Green - Monster Edition Rims, Homemade +5 LT kit w/ XP Fox Podiums, Fender Flares
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:07 AM
efajeep's Avatar  
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,269
No go in Ca we have to many smog control issues
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:19 AM
jaketruck's Avatar  
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Branson Missouri
Posts: 444
Missouri specifically states that buggies less than 63 inches will not be legal. Only for specific farm use. Mine with wide travel will be wider than that so I don't know.
__________________
08,fst 840,triple x seat package,pds k2 cage,k2 48" bed,fusion head unit with 8" rockford speakers, muzzy pro exhaust. DASA/FUEL LONG TRAVEL
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:25 AM
chad59's Avatar
Das Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by efajeep View Post
No go in Ca we have to many smog control issues
Get Dr Evil to cause a Humongous Earthquake and slide CA into the ocean West of Glamis (Giving the good guys advance notice to assemble in Glamis) and the Pelosi Posse would hopefully be gone and VoilaStreet legal. AZ its horn, dot tires, turn signal (hands work) light for license plate, insurance,
__________________
2 Be 1 Ask 1
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:53 AM
raftcavehike's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boone North Carolina
Posts: 56
In NC golf carts are good to go but no utvs. I think that it is some what based on speed given a golf cart only goes 20 mph or so. It seems like every one has a golf cart down at the beach. They have turn singles, horns, lights, insurance and of course license plates. I drive my golf cart down there with none of the above and have had no problem. It would be great to have utv legal though. I guess we are missing the wild wild west view on life (boring).
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:33 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Philly
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murarik35 View Post
Insurance... Turn signals.. and DOT tires i believe... might have to get it registered or somethign also.. Im in pa and thinking about doin it also.
Im in PA also. Keep me updated if u find anything out!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 09:53 AM
sconym's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vegas!!!
Posts: 4,070
i got mine street legal in az... sooo easy to do...they didnt even inspect the vehicle. they also told me that i checked the wrong box... saved me about 500 bucks!
__________________
2012 Blue T4 - LTI Long Travel with Kings - LTI cage - UTV Inc switches - FuelUTV switch panel - FuelUTV air filter - Rigid SR50 - Diablo beadlocks with SKAT paddles - 14" MSA Diesels with 29" Bighorns - Pro Armor 5pt harnesses - thats enough for now....
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Ali Baba's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Alpine , Ca
Posts: 3,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad59 View Post
Get Dr Evil to cause a Humongous Earthquake and slide CA into the ocean West of Glamis (Giving the good guys advance notice to assemble in Glamis) and the Pelosi Posse would hopefully be gone and VoilaStreet legal. AZ its horn, dot tires, turn signal (hands work) light for license plate, insurance,
well if you're going to do that, let me know cause i happen to live way west of Glamis....
__________________
09 Sport, Muzzy Pros, MSD, Dasa Intake, Dasa Impeller, Dasa OD Clutch Cap, Dasa Guage Pod, Black Rhino Guages, Painless Fuse Block, K2 Concepts Carbon Fiber, K2 Concepts Bed Delete, Four seat cage, Crow 5 Points, Neri Style Rear Seat, PRP Front Seats, Induced Fabrication doors, Billet King Steering Rack, Billet King Master Cylinder Guard, HID Conversion Kit, Baja Designs 6"Pre Runner HID's, HCR +6LT Kit, Fox 2.0 Shocks, G-Force Trilobite Tires, Scat Track tires, Sand Star Tires, Douglas Diablo Wheels, Full Fiber Skinz Skid Plates and way too much money!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 12:22 PM
GlamisBoy's Avatar
Work blows, I wanna ride !!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by efajeep View Post
No go in Ca we have to many smog control issues
I bet it has more to do with the libtards than smog. I'm surprised they don't allow it, imagine how much more they could charge for DMV fees
__________________
2009 Teryx Sport,SDR Bed delete Cage & Full Doors , LTi +5 Long Travel,T/S Aggressor Seats (Heated & Lumbar), Vision X Dome's, ITP SS212 tires W/ Baja Cross, MSD, Muzzy's Exh., DASA airfilter & Impeller, VFJ III Clutch, K2 Siphon Break, 4500 Viperwinch, ViAir 280c on board air, Livewire LED Whip (x2), KBrown Customs HID Headlights, Rugged Radio Intercom (thanks Endi ) with Car-2-Car, K2 Customs carbon fiber headlite buckets, Sirius !!, Speed Ind. Wheel W/ Joe's Racing Q/D, One11 Ink Roof Wrap, Garmin Oregon 450 gps
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Deviant_Illusion's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Grantsville, Utah
Posts: 2,187
In Utah you can plate them with things like signals horn mirrors etc.. But you can only drive them in certain counties. Basically it is so you dont have to trailer it every where in small towns. In Salt Lake County where I live its a no go for street use plate or not.
__________________
Bonneville Off Road Racing
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 02:09 PM
GlamisBoy's Avatar
Work blows, I wanna ride !!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant_Illusion View Post
In Utah you can plate them with things like signals horn mirrors etc.. But you can only drive them in certain counties. Basically it is so you dont have to trailer it every where in small towns. In Salt Lake County where I live its a no go for street use plate or not.
Thats the way it should be here in Cali, but our legislators are not smart enough to write any vehicle code like that. In rural areas & certain roads it should be legal.

Plus they wouldn't want to discourage people from trailering their SxS because then less trailers would be needed, thus cutting into dmv fee's they acquire.

It's all a scam here.
__________________
2009 Teryx Sport,SDR Bed delete Cage & Full Doors , LTi +5 Long Travel,T/S Aggressor Seats (Heated & Lumbar), Vision X Dome's, ITP SS212 tires W/ Baja Cross, MSD, Muzzy's Exh., DASA airfilter & Impeller, VFJ III Clutch, K2 Siphon Break, 4500 Viperwinch, ViAir 280c on board air, Livewire LED Whip (x2), KBrown Customs HID Headlights, Rugged Radio Intercom (thanks Endi ) with Car-2-Car, K2 Customs carbon fiber headlite buckets, Sirius !!, Speed Ind. Wheel W/ Joe's Racing Q/D, One11 Ink Roof Wrap, Garmin Oregon 450 gps
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 06:06 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Coxsackie, NY
Posts: 73
We lived in England for a few years and you can get ATVs and UTVs on the road legally. They need a reg plate, insurance, high/low beam lights, break lights and directionals and your good to go. Have to wear helmets like a motorbike though.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2011, 02:14 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 37
Street legal

You can get any car street legal for any state except Calf. The trick is to change the tittle from UTV to another type like truck or convertible. I live in Indiana and the only UTV that the state has said no to is the Polaris Razor, to short overall to small. Go to Youtube and type in "street legal Indy 500 cars" and see them for yourself posted from many states. I had to have a rear view mirror, TOD tires, turn signals and a horn. Had the tittle changed from UTV to convertible, I could have done truck as well but had to pay tax's on trucks. I would not want to take mine on the main highways, but around the country it's fine. They are doing the same thing to golf carts now and even the city police dept are getting UTV and converting them. I have been stopped a few times, but they were more interested on knowing what I had then giving tickets.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2011, 02:24 PM
jaketruck's Avatar  
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Branson Missouri
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by livy View Post
You can get any car street legal for any state except Calf. The trick is to change the tittle from UTV to another type like truck or convertible. I live in Indiana and the only UTV that the state has said no to is the Polaris Razor, to short overall to small. Go to Youtube and type in "street legal Indy 500 cars" and see them for yourself posted from many states. I had to have a rear view mirror, TOD tires, turn signals and a horn. Had the tittle changed from UTV to convertible, I could have done truck as well but had to pay tax's on trucks. I would not want to take mine on the main highways, but around the country it's fine. They are doing the same thing to golf carts now and even the city police dept are getting UTV and converting them. I have been stopped a few times, but they were more interested on knowing what I had then giving tickets.
Sounds encouraging.....but........In Missouri we don't title them or pay sales tax on a side by side because they are considered farm vehicles at this point. How do I get a title? Apply for a builder title?
__________________
08,fst 840,triple x seat package,pds k2 cage,k2 48" bed,fusion head unit with 8" rockford speakers, muzzy pro exhaust. DASA/FUEL LONG TRAVEL
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2011, 03:53 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 37
You might try for a self assembled title. If in your state you see, Cobra kit cars on the roads or sand rails, then you should be able to convert your Teryx to road legal.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2011, 03:55 PM
az_amsoil's Avatar
El Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 3,931
What I think is total BS, is my UTV is street legal in AZ. Has an MC plate and can be driven anywhere (except Interstate highways as I do not have DOT tires on it, but if I did, I could drive it on I-10). How can another state deny me vehicle from being driven on their roads?

Article IV, Section 1 of the United States Constitution, addresses the duties that states within the United States have to respect the "public acts, records, and judicial proceedings" of other states. Meaning my drivers license, issued in AZ, must be recognized by the other 49 states AND US territories/possesions (Also includes marriages, adoptions, legal decisions, ect...) So why is it not the case when a vehicle license plate is issued in one state, it must recognized as legal and valid for travel in all states, territories and possesions?

Discuss...
__________________
All AMSOIL Fluids, LSR +5 XTR Suspension (Elka Elites), Rigid RAD4 Cage; Dually & 10" Amber, BS Sand Seats, Rigid HID, Lots of UTV Inc,, Dynatec CDI, Hunterworks Carb Kit, DJ Safety Belts, Fuel Gauge, Quick Light 6" Fiber Whip (red), Rugged Intercom, Monster Edition Rims, Maxxis Cerros, Lowrance HDS-5, DFR Steering Rack & Yoshimura Exhaust, Heads ported/polish by Action Powersports in Chandler,AZ
az_amsoil@cox.net
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2011, 04:00 PM
jaketruck's Avatar  
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Branson Missouri
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_amsoil View Post
What I think is total BS, is my UTV is street legal in AZ. Has an MC plate and can be driven anywhere (except Interstate highways as I do not have DOT tires on it, but if I did, I could drive it on I-10). How can another state deny me vehicle from being driven on their roads?

Article IV, Section 1 of the United States Constitution, addresses the duties that states within the United States have to respect the "public acts, records, and judicial proceedings" of other states. Meaning my drivers license, issued in AZ, must be recognized by the other 49 states AND US territories/possesions (Also includes marriages, adoptions, legal decisions, ect...) So why is it not the case when a vehicle license plate is issued in one state, it must recognized as legal and valid for travel in all states, territories and possesions?

Discuss...
Don't know but it might be similar to helmet laws. I can ride ten minutes to Arkansas and don't need a helmet but do here.
__________________
08,fst 840,triple x seat package,pds k2 cage,k2 48" bed,fusion head unit with 8" rockford speakers, muzzy pro exhaust. DASA/FUEL LONG TRAVEL
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2011, 04:04 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 37
I believe you are correct. If I can get a licenses plate for my UTV in Indiana, than It should hold up in any other state. That was the reason snow birds who was able to haul there Polaris Razor to Arz. Was so mad when the state of Ind pulled back their Indiana plates. Now they can't ride them in Arz on the roads with Ind plates.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2011, 04:24 PM
az_amsoil's Avatar
El Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 3,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketruck View Post
Don't know but it might be similar to helmet laws. I can ride ten minutes to Arkansas and don't need a helmet but do here.
But a helmet isn't issued by the state(s). We're talking about license plates on vehicles. You can be ticketed for not wearing a seat belt too, but that doesn't invalidate your vehicel from being driven on any road (because you choose not to buckle up or put on a helmet).
__________________
All AMSOIL Fluids, LSR +5 XTR Suspension (Elka Elites), Rigid RAD4 Cage; Dually & 10" Amber, BS Sand Seats, Rigid HID, Lots of UTV Inc,, Dynatec CDI, Hunterworks Carb Kit, DJ Safety Belts, Fuel Gauge, Quick Light 6" Fiber Whip (red), Rugged Intercom, Monster Edition Rims, Maxxis Cerros, Lowrance HDS-5, DFR Steering Rack & Yoshimura Exhaust, Heads ported/polish by Action Powersports in Chandler,AZ
az_amsoil@cox.net
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2011, 05:10 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Coxsackie, NY
Posts: 73
Since the Teryx comes with seatbelts/harness, you would have to wear it. But since your sitting inside a vehicle surrounded by a roll cage, and with 4 wheels can't be considered a motorcycle, they would have a tough time making you wear helmets. I always thought it was funny, you get a ticket in NY for no helmet while riding a motorcycle, but if you wear it in your car you gay a ticket for obstructed vision and hearing
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki Teryx Forum > General Teryx > General Teryx Discussion


Search tags for this page
can you make a side by side street legal in pa
,
how to make a street legal utv in pa
,
how to make a utv street legal
,
how to make a utv street legal in pa
,
how to make utv street legal
,
missouri street legal utv
,
rzr street legal in pa
,
street legal side by side missouri
,
utv laws in pa
,
utv street legal illinois
,
utv street legal missouri
,

utv street legal states

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.teryxforums.net/general-teryx-discussion/12147-how-can-we-make-sidexsides-legal-other-states.html
Posted By For Type Date
Make Atv Street Legal This thread Refback 06-18-2013 07:33 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44 PM.