Kawasaki Teryx Forum Header Left   Kawasaki Teryx Forum Header Right

TERYX4 Recall

This is a discussion on TERYX4 Recall within the Teryx4 forums, part of the Kawsaki Teryx Forum General Teryx category; Originally Posted by info@lti we are working on a fix for the rack. We have taken apart a couple racks to see what is going ...


Go Back   Kawasaki Teryx Forum > General Teryx > Teryx4

Teryx4 Dedicated discussions for the Kawasaki Teryx4 (Teryx4 Forum)

Like Tree14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2012, 04:24 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by info@lti View Post
we are working on a fix for the rack. We have taken apart a couple racks to see what is going on with them and I believe it's an assembly issue but cannot be 100% sure until we get a few more units to disassemble to determine the cause exactly. we are going to try and have a inexpensive fix that will not affect your Kawasaki warranty
What about the front brake caliper part of the recall? According to the recall notice there are 2 issues, loss of steering and loss of brakes. Are those related? The way I read it makes it seem like they are separate issues.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
TeryxForums.net is the premier Kawasaki Teryx Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
   
  #77 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2012, 06:57 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cody wyoming
Posts: 3
New to the forum. Just picked up my new t4 three weeks ago and just got my recall notice in the mail. Uhg. This blows. To top it off I called Kawi today and no end in sight right now. Also asked about riding at my own risk and they told me that they sent me a letter and now verbally told me so if something breaks sorry Charlie no warranty since I was riding when told not to operate. Makes a pretty sweet lawn ornament on the plus side.
Reply With Quote
  #78 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2012, 04:05 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPL33 View Post
I talked to my dealer today. Since the recall just came out today, they said it may be next week before they can even check to see if the parts are being thought of. Then they have to wait and see if they can fix it with parts they have on hand (bolts, cotter pins, etc) or if Kawasaki will be sending parts. I'm feeling this could take a while!
I agree about being taken. $15,000 cash for a machine and accessories that are now gathering dust in my garage. Free storage for Kawasaki! I've talked to corporate as well as my local dealer. Corporate says they have to machine repair parts but they haven't fully identified what parts they need to machine! Extending the warranty 6 months from whenever it gets repaired doesn't bring back the lost summer. I bought this in March...then my son and I planned the summer around the Teryx, but it's almost mid-July. How much summer is left??? I think they should offer a loaner to all of us who bought this unit until they figure out what to do to make this machine safe. Maybe it would encourage them to speed up the fix!
Reply With Quote
  #79 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2012, 04:13 PM
SD90's Avatar  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 645
Excellent idea! If this were a car, with a recall that did not allow you to drive it, they would give you a loaner. Either that or fix the damn thing right away! This is absolutely ridiculous to be told to not drive it and we don't know when replacement parts will be available! I've spent $21000 CDN on my machine including accessories and after market parts to have it sit in my garage!
__________________
We don't stop playing because we grow old...
We grow old BECAUSE we stop playing!

2012 Blue EPS Teryx4
27.5" Pitbull Growlers on 14" MSA Crusher rims, Warn 4000 RT, FUTV UHMW skids, Highlifter 2" lift, Kawasaki aluminum roof, full windshield, cargo box, headlight & tail light guards, rear bumper and no decals.
Reply With Quote
  #80 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2012, 06:01 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 52
I have to agree also. What about someone like me, who put $3,000 down, and is waiting to pick up his machine for the first time? My 6 month warranty hasn't even started, so what there offering doesn't do jackcrap for me once it's fixed. Yet I can't pick up something that I paid for for what looks like is going to be at least a month. I also have trips planned with this new machine-two in the next month and a half. SUCKS!!!
Reply With Quote
  #81 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 PM
jdenton's Avatar  
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Longview,TX
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCToasters View Post
I have to agree also. What about someone like me, who put $3,000 down, and is waiting to pick up his machine for the first time? My 6 month warranty hasn't even started, so what there offering doesn't do jackcrap for me once it's fixed. Yet I can't pick up something that I paid for for what looks like is going to be at least a month. I also have trips planned with this new machine-two in the next month and a half. SUCKS!!!
I don't know if they would do it or not but in your case and other cases similar they should extend it to a year.
bluet4 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #82 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2012, 09:35 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: gilbert, az
Posts: 42
I would agree it should be six months tacked to the end of the warranty, I just got mine like 3 weeks ago so it won't do me much either. Those that are out of warranty now are going to luck out good.
Reply With Quote
  #83 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2012, 10:04 PM
chasmyer's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Elko Nevada
Posts: 76
NV

I was thinking about parking mine in the front yard with a sign on it or a big picture of a lemon.....this really bites having a machine like this sit with no parts in sight....
Reply With Quote
  #84 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cody wyoming
Posts: 3
That would really suck to have put that money down and not be able to pick it up. I agree that they should give everyone an extra six months warranty on their machines. I like the lemon idea but doubt Kawasaki would care. Maybe if we all got together and parked them on there corporate lawn. It's a lot of money to have invested in something and then have them tell you so sorry can't ride it now. They got there money guess that's all that matters. Can't even trade it cuz dealership doesn't want a machine they can't sell. I love my t4 and really wouldn't want to trade it but like other people on here have a couple of trips planned. Think I will just ride it anyway and roll the dice
Reply With Quote
  #85 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2012, 04:29 AM
mrwvsportsman's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: WV
Posts: 758
When I bought my machine, I kinda expected stuff like this being the first year of production. I agree, it sucks, blows, I paid alot of $$ for it to just sit and collect dust, yadda, yadda, yadda. But seriously, you have to expect bugs in a first year machine. Nothing is perfect the first time around. Shoot look at the RZR and how long it has been around . I am sure Kawi is doing everything they can to get us back up and running ASAP. It would be nice to have a little more info, but such is life. It also stinks cause the aftermarket isn't that great yet to have a fix available. And when one does become avail, only a select few will be lucky enough to get it probably. Just hang in there!! It sucks, but it's still an awesome machine!
__________________

Ridin' for the Big Guy!
Reply With Quote
  #86 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:39 AM
tomanytoysnotnuftime's Avatar  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,997
What he said ^^^ this is probably not a first year machine issue, it's a supplier problem. Whoever builds the steering rack for kawi dropped the ball and has caused a major inconvenience for a lot of people, but doesn't hardly put the T4 in the lemon/RZR category. I am continuing to ride mine regardless and just hoping for the best. There will be a repair for it soon and when it comes out I'm sure it will only actually be required on a few machines and the rest will be given a clean bill of health. They are probably just being cautious and have everyone's safety in mind, dead people don't make for good return customers! At least they recognize the problem and are working for a solution, and for the guys that are looking to sell/trade their T4's what are you going to buy? A gayzor4??
__________________
2012 VIBRANT blue Teryx 4, Muzzy's, ECU reflash, custom cage & roof & windshield, machined clutch, 14" STI HD Beadlocks with 32" Roctanes/Tatou 4S Tracks, Warn XT40 winches front & rear, bedlift 2" Highlifter kit, snorkeled to 6ft, Rigid Duallys

2010 black, FST 840 stage II cams, DASA intake & injectors, BF throttle bodies, Msd, Muzzy Pro`s, Snorkeled, Warn XT40, 14" STI HD Beadlocks with 30x10x14 EFX Motoclaws, Custom rear Radiator, Unisteer
Reply With Quote
  #87 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2012, 09:00 AM
instigator's Avatar  
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: tustin,ca
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanytoysnotnuftime View Post
What he said ^^^ this is probably not a first year machine issue, it's a supplier problem. Whoever builds the steering rack for kawi dropped the ball and has caused a major inconvenience for a lot of people, but doesn't hardly put the T4 in the lemon/RZR category. I am continuing to ride mine regardless and just hoping for the best. There will be a repair for it soon and when it comes out I'm sure it will only actually be required on a few machines and the rest will be given a clean bill of health. They are probably just being cautious and have everyone's safety in mind, dead people don't make for good return customers! At least they recognize the problem and are working for a solution, and for the guys that are looking to sell/trade their T4's what are you going to buy? A gayzor4??
You are correct it is a supplier problem. The problem is before kawasaki will release that they have a repair for this, they must be sure that they have enough parts to handle every unit that was sold and also the ones that are still sitting on the dealer floors. Because once they do the flood gates are gonna open.
Reply With Quote
  #88 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 AM
TearIcks's Avatar
Like a Boss
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 86
The good news is that I received today from Kawasaki a 2012 Teryx4 Accessories Catalog. Glad they are interested in getting more money out of me so it can look sweet as hell while it sits in my garage.

I have a Grand Canyon trip planned later this week, and come hell or high water, I'm riding it down there...
Reply With Quote
  #89 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Teryx_Driver's Avatar
Jose Sanabria
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 421
I been watching these comments about the recall and is not making any happier to all of the kawasaki riders with their units getting dust.
No wonder I did not see any T4's out there this past weekend...
Reply With Quote
  #90 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2012, 11:04 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Avondale, AZ
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwvsportsman View Post
When I bought my machine, I kinda expected stuff like this being the first year of production. I agree, it sucks, blows, I paid alot of $$ for it to just sit and collect dust, yadda, yadda, yadda. But seriously, you have to expect bugs in a first year machine. Nothing is perfect the first time around. Shoot look at the RZR and how long it has been around . I am sure Kawi is doing everything they can to get us back up and running ASAP. It would be nice to have a little more info, but such is life. It also stinks cause the aftermarket isn't that great yet to have a fix available. And when one does become avail, only a select few will be lucky enough to get it probably. Just hang in there!! It sucks, but it's still an awesome machine!
That's all true, but, the RZR and Rhino never had a major component failure like this. Not one that forced their owners to completely park them. Yes, the Rhino had a recall for roll overs, but how much of that was knuckleheads rolling them that didn't know how to drive them? I've owned a Rhino for 4 years and never came close to rolling it. Yet, the lawsuits made Yamaha take all sorts of action trying to figure out why they were rolling over. You would think that Kawasaki would have put the T4, a brand new machine/design, through months, if not years, of testing to make sure everything was right. had they done that, they would have figured out the steering debacle. With this type of failure, it's pretty clear they rushed to get it out without much thought put into design, engineering, and testing!
It's a clear and total rip off to the consumer, us!


And, sure we expect some things to go wrong with a vehicle of this type, but steering and brakes? How about if the engine didn't start or run right after you bought it?

Last edited by TPL33; 07-10-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Reply With Quote
  #91 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2012, 12:09 PM
instigator's Avatar  
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: tustin,ca
Posts: 329
I know for a 100% fact that kawasaki put the t4 through 3 years of entensive testing before it was ever released to the public. Although they did this there is absolutely no way to reproduce every single situation that the customer is going to put it through. This is the rack and pinon manufacturers problem not a kawasaki flaw. Yes kawi's name is on the machine but the parts were made by someone else hince the t2's aren't having the issue. When the machines are ready for production Kawisaki gets people to produce the parts. So the only problem I see is the rack manufacturer said they could build the parts correctly and obviously they couldn't and now Kawi is taking the wrath of it.
I understand that people are pissed off and want to use their t4's that they paid alot of money for as do I. Mine has been sitting in my garage and I look at it every day but I also think we should give them a chance to make it right and they will. Lets face it we all agree that they are great machines when you are able to drive them. just my .02 cents.
mrwvsportsman likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #92 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Huntsville TN
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPL33 View Post
That's all true, but, the RZR and Rhino never had a major component failure like this. Not one that forced their owners to completely park them. Yes, the Rhino had a recall for roll overs, but how much of that was knuckleheads rolling them that didn't know how to drive them? I've owned a Rhino for 4 years and never came close to rolling it. Yet, the lawsuits made Yamaha take all sorts of action trying to figure out why they were rolling over. You would think that Kawasaki would have put the T4, a brand new machine/design, through months, if not years, of testing to make sure everything was right. had they done that, they would have figured out the steering debacle. With this type of failure, it's pretty clear they rushed to get it out without much thought put into design, engineering, and testing!
It's a clear and total rip off to the consumer, us!


And, sure we expect some things to go wrong with a vehicle of this type, but steering and brakes? How about if the engine didn't start or run right after you bought it?
What if the supplier changed something after all the testing was complete and Kawasaki was unaware of the change, and only now they found out about it?
Reply With Quote
  #93 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2012, 12:42 PM
instigator's Avatar  
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: tustin,ca
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimstoneRep View Post
What if the supplier changed something after all the testing was complete and Kawasaki was unaware of the change, and only now they found out about it?
Before production everthing is a "prototype" part then when they feel everything is good they send the production out to a company. Not all the parts on any machine are produced "in house". This is why the time delay.
The supplier must figure out why it is failing, how to fix the problem and then manufacture the parts for the repair.
Reply With Quote
  #94 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2012, 12:58 PM
tomanytoysnotnuftime's Avatar  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,997
Exactly, kawasaki is paying the price for a mistake made by someone else. And the reactions of a few non understanding people jumping to conclusions, complaining and wanting to jump ship from an obviously inferior machine into something way better are not helping anything. Everyone needs to just accept the fact that there is an issue and deal with it like grown ups instead of having a temper tantrum and spreading ill will about Kawi and their product/service. I understand what a bummer it is not being able to ride your machine, therefore we are left with two options. Option 1 park it and wait patiently for a repair to come out, because complaining,slandering and selling/trading off isn't going to make any difference.
Option 2 continue to ride at your own risk, this is the option I am doing. I as well have over $20k invested into my T4 on top of $20k plus that I have in my T2 and I am going to continue riding both. But what I'm not going to do is complain about how long it takes to get it fixed or sell it off or trade for another brand, and most definitely in the event of a failure/accident I will not be looking for monetary compensation from Kawasaki. They are doing the best they can to fix the problem and have made it very clear that there is a risk involved by riding my machine and I have chosen to not heed their warning by continuing to drive it.
redryder likes this.
__________________
2012 VIBRANT blue Teryx 4, Muzzy's, ECU reflash, custom cage & roof & windshield, machined clutch, 14" STI HD Beadlocks with 32" Roctanes/Tatou 4S Tracks, Warn XT40 winches front & rear, bedlift 2" Highlifter kit, snorkeled to 6ft, Rigid Duallys

2010 black, FST 840 stage II cams, DASA intake & injectors, BF throttle bodies, Msd, Muzzy Pro`s, Snorkeled, Warn XT40, 14" STI HD Beadlocks with 30x10x14 EFX Motoclaws, Custom rear Radiator, Unisteer
Reply With Quote
  #95 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2012, 01:09 PM
instigator's Avatar  
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: tustin,ca
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanytoysnotnuftime View Post
Exactly, kawasaki is paying the price for a mistake made by someone else. And the reactions of a few non understanding people jumping to conclusions, complaining and wanting to jump ship from an obviously inferior machine into something way better are not helping anything. Everyone needs to just accept the fact that there is an issue and deal with it like grown ups instead of having a temper tantrum and spreading ill will about Kawi and their product/service. I understand what a bummer it is not being able to ride your machine, therefore we are left with two options. Option 1 park it and wait patiently for a repair to come out, because complaining,slandering and selling/trading off isn't going to make any difference.
Option 2 continue to ride at your own risk, this is the option I am doing. I as well have over $20k invested into my T4 on top of $20k plus that I have in my T2 and I am going to continue riding both. But what I'm not going to do is complain about how long it takes to get it fixed or sell it off or trade for another brand, and most definitely in the event of a failure/accident I will not be looking for monetary compensation from Kawasaki. They are doing the best they can to fix the problem and have made it very clear that there is a risk involved by riding my machine and I have chosen to not heed their warning by continuing to drive it.
very well said!! and the part I am looking forward to is the YEARS of driving my machine with my family and friends once this set back is resolved.
Reply With Quote
  #96 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2012, 06:51 PM
chasmyer's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Elko Nevada
Posts: 76
NV

Sorry I don't agree. One expects issues NOONE expects their machine to sit for a couple of months waiting on a solution, then shipment of parts and then getting scheduled in a shop for the repair. I paid hard earned money for a machine to use. I sold a Rhino that I never had one day of problems out of so I could take the entire family out riding.
I stopped by the dealer today and ask about any updates----NOTHING.
It could be mid to late August before parts are made, tested and prepped to ship......to me that's just unacceptable. Do I love this machine, a resounding yes but I love it when I can ride it not when it's collect dust. Your cars are made from many different sub-contractor parts, but I guarentee you if it breaks down while under warranty you don't blame the sub-contractor...you blame the dealer/manufacturer.
Reply With Quote
  #97 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 PM
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 17
I sold my Polaris Ranger XP and bought the T4 in order to take the whole family. At this moment, I just wish I had my Ranger back so we could ride this summer. I've already cancelled one trip and don't expect to be scheduling anymore. It's hard to explain to the kids why we sold one that worked great for years and bought a brand new one that doesn't work.
Reply With Quote
  #99 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 AM
instigator's Avatar  
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: tustin,ca
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyer View Post
Sorry I don't agree. One expects issues NOONE expects their machine to sit for a couple of months waiting on a solution, then shipment of parts and then getting scheduled in a shop for the repair. I paid hard earned money for a machine to use. I sold a Rhino that I never had one day of problems out of so I could take the entire family out riding.
I stopped by the dealer today and ask about any updates----NOTHING.
It could be mid to late August before parts are made, tested and prepped to ship......to me that's just unacceptable. Do I love this machine, a resounding yes but I love it when I can ride it not when it's collect dust. Your cars are made from many different sub-contractor parts, but I guarentee you if it breaks down while under warranty you don't blame the sub-contractor...you blame the dealer/manufacturer.
There is a huge differance between a car that takes you to work for your" hard earned money" and a toy. I am pretty sure we all paid about the same amount of money for our machines. This is a real bummer but it could be a whole lot worse.(i.e people hurt, your machine damaged, etc..) Hey look I understand everyone's frustration here and I am just trying to stay optimistic about this. Hell I got a new cage on mine, long travel suspension, new belts and other things and I haven't been able to take it out either so I understand.
But bitchin' about it isn't going to speed up the process.
Reply With Quote
  #100 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2012, 09:38 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: illinois
Posts: 13
i think everyone wants to know the progress that kaw. is making on this recall,well i do anyway. If they have isolated the problem and have a fix for it and the time frame we are looking at. It would be nice to have frequent updates on how they are progressing. It is alot of money just to have sitting around but it is a safety issue that could mean life or death to you and you family. Hope they resolve this soon though..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki Teryx Forum > General Teryx > Teryx4


Search tags for this page
2012 teryx4 recall
,

kawasaki teryx 4 recall

,
kawasaki teryx 4 recall on 2013 models
,
kawasaki teryx 4 recalls
,
kawasaki teryx recall
,
kawasaki teryx recalls
,
kawasaki teryx4 recall
,
teryx 4 floor recall
,

teryx 4 recall

,
teryx 4 recalls
,
teryx recall
,

teryx4 recall

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:56 AM.