Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

Check engine light when in 4x4

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  longball 
#1 ·
I recently put 2 inch wheel spacers on a 2018 Teryx 4. When switched to 4x4, the check engine light came on and the 4x4 indicator did not change.

I switched the knob back to 4x2 and the check engine light did not turn off. I shut the machine off, then back on and the check engine light stayed off.

Thoughts/Ideas?

#3 ·
Is it eps. Low voltage? full charge batt and try?

#5 ·
No, not any more than normal. SOmetimes its a PIA and have to play with it to diff lock unlock. I am bad about stopping first to engage. Key off rarely to reset it to work. I have had eps light stuff on old trex and it turned out to be weak battery. Spacers do slow up the EPS but never been a problem in any way running spacers except more mud flying. Being 65 wide helps on sidehills and corners and wheeling rough big stuff.

#6 ·
The wheel spacers should have absolutely nothing to do with an issue switching to 4wd or the check engine light. The check engine light can come on if you try to switch between 2wd, 4wd, and diff lock but it doesn't actually change modes. What are the details around trying to put it in 4wd but it not engaging? Were you just sitting still the entire time? Were you driving/moving after switching to 4wd? How long was it between switching to 4wd and the engine light coming on?

#7 ·
6.2~~
I tried switching standing still then moving, the CE light came on right away, 4x4 indicator stayed on 4x2.
Moving between 5-10 mph, CE light came on right away, 4x4 indicator stayed on 4x2.
Moving 5-10 mph, moving the steering wheel left and right, CE light came on right away, 4x4 indicator stayed on 4x2.

Thanks for helping with this everyone!

#8 ·
I would check the connectors and wires at the front diff. Again, the wheel spacers should have zero effect to the system but maybe some of the wiring got bumped somehow when you were doing the work. Go in on the drivers side and look at the rear of the front diff. There are several wires that connect to the diff. Check to make sure the connectors are not loose or have fallen off, or if any of the wires are broken.

Also may not hurt to make sure the battery is fully charged....never heard of it causing this type of issue especially if it starts okay, but never hurts to make sure the voltage is correct.

#9 ·
Also don't sit there and switch the dial back and forth repeatedly. If the engine light comes on turn off the key, turn the 4wd dial back to the position it showed it was in (indicator says 2wd then switch dial back to 4wd), then turn the key back on and try again. Mine will regularly freak out if you turn the dial back and forth quickly. For example I was in 2wd and meant to switch it to 4wd but turned it into diff lock on accident....immediately rotated the dial back from diff lock to 4wd and it will freak out 75% of the time. Obviously avoid that situation and only move the dial one position at a time now.

#11 ·
Well fellow trailblazers! I have spent the weekend reading and troubleshooting. The manual says if the 4x4 does not work, it is either the EPS, Actuator or battery not connected. It was the actuator.
I took the actuator off and it has a black connector with three wires that does not disconnect. Right next to the wires is a little white button. A breaker maybe? An internal fuse or something?
Anyways, I pushed it in with a screwdriver. Before I bolted the actuator back on, I cranked the Teryx and moved the selector to 4x4 and the actuator worked!! I turned the selector back to 4x2, shut down and bolted the actuator back in place.
There was some dry mud and debris in-between the actuator housing, maybe this tripped the “breaker”.

I wonder how much the dealership would have charged me for such a simple fix?

Thanks guys for your help. I hope I saved another Teryx owner from an unnecessary expense......

#12 ·
I hade a similar issue just this afternoon. I was using 4x4 and when I stopped at the top of a hill I switched it back to 2x4. The indicator on the dash didn’t change or even blink, then the check engine light came on. I shut it off then put the switch back into 4x4. Restarted (no check engine light), then switched it to 2x4. Rode for another 2 hours and the light never came back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.