Less than 1 mile and blows coolant - Kawasaki Teryx Forum
Engine and Drivetrain For discussion of drive train and engine performance and maintenance

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 18
Less than 1 mile and blows coolant

After searching Craigslist and ATVTrader for several months trying to find a T4 with decent miles, at a decent price, I pulled the trigger last week on a new T4 LE for $12,800. My wife and I decided to go with the lime green color. The dealership delivered it to me yesterday and the wife and I took off down the road for a quick spin. I'm a paraplegic and have to get hand controls installed in the near future in order for me to drive it. Less than 1/8 miles down the road we started seeing smoke coming up through the steering wheel area and console. We did a quick turnaround and went back home. When we parked it, steam was coming up good. My son took the driver's seat off and the cover to see the motor area. It was then he noticed a lot of coolant on the skid pan and in the area around the engine. It was then he saw the water pump hose had blown completely off the inlet. The dealership is either coming out to fix the problem or haul it back to their garage and fix it there. No warning lights came on, so I'm hoping no damage was done. Not a good way to start out.
T4onthego is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 09:48 AM
 
Halfchrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 20
I've seen quite a few people say that that hose wasn't tightened down on their new machines however most see small drips. I'd venture to say your fine if no lights came on. You're likely the unlucky 1 in 200 that seem to have a guy that can't tighten down the coolant tubes. I'd make sure they go over everything while they're at it- My roll cage had a couple loose bolts on it(dealer installed). Good Luck!
Halfchrome is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 02:59 PM
 
Barefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,174
What halfchrome said. There have been several people with hoses not on there completely tight. First Iíve heard of one coming off. But if I had to guess I would say it just wasnít put on correctly. Donít sweat it to much. These are great machines.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barefoot is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 10:02 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 866
As mentioned above there have been several reports of coolant drips originating from this area because of loose hose clamps (including my '15 when it was two days old), but this is the first I have heard of the hose completely blowing off.
6.2Blazer is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 11:09 AM
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4onthego View Post
After searching Craigslist and ATVTrader for several months trying to find a T4 with decent miles, at a decent price, I pulled the trigger last week on a new T4 LE for $12,800. My wife and I decided to go with the lime green color. The dealership delivered it to me yesterday and the wife and I took off down the road for a quick spin. I'm a paraplegic and have to get hand controls installed in the near future in order for me to drive it. Less than 1/8 miles down the road we started seeing smoke coming up through the steering wheel area and console. We did a quick turnaround and went back home. When we parked it, steam was coming up good. My son took the driver's seat off and the cover to see the motor area. It was then he noticed a lot of coolant on the skid pan and in the area around the engine. It was then he saw the water pump hose had blown completely off the inlet. The dealership is either coming out to fix the problem or haul it back to their garage and fix it there. No warning lights came on, so I'm hoping no damage was done. Not a good way to start out.


Off topic but Iím curious where you got one for 12,800? Cheapest I can find is 13,800.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oli6578 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli6578 View Post
Off topic but Iím curious where you got one for 12,800? Cheapest I can find is 13,800.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got mine at Shake and Bake Motor Sports in Middlesboro, KY
T4onthego is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 12:27 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 21
CHECK the fan Connection My buddy bought his brand new as well and it kept over heating and we found the connection for fan kept coming loose so it wasn't kicking on and no lights were visible until we touched the connector and it kicked on and off we clipped it tight and fixed our issues hope this helps this was a brand new 2018 teryx 4 le blue seems to be happening alot
TexasT4pearland is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 12:31 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 21
Mainland cycle in La marque TX has them listed for $12999 not a bad deal
TexasT4pearland is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 09:29 PM
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasT4pearland View Post
Mainland cycle in La marque TX has them listed for $12999 not a bad deal


Yeah those are 13800 OTD with tax exemption ID.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oli6578 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 10:09 PM
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 3
Kawasaki hose clamps are defective

My brand new Teryx 4 went 4-5 miles before it heated up so hot I could not touch it till the next morning. Hose was off, service man said the factory told him they have had several of these. He put a hose clamp on it rather than the factory spring clamp, kawasaki needs to fix this.
mlcarlile is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcarlile View Post
My brand new Teryx 4 went 4-5 miles before it heated up so hot I could not touch it till the next morning. Hose was off, service man said the factory told him they have had several of these. He put a hose clamp on it rather than the factory spring clamp, kawasaki needs to fix this.
The spring clamps would work if they get the hose ALL the way over the inlet/outlet and set the clamp accordingly. I got mine Teryx4 back yesterday, and using a 4ft piece of 2x2 to work the gas and brake, I drove it about a 1/2 mile down the lane and it seemed to be working fine. There is an annoying vibration between 5-10 mph that I hope will go away during the break in period. They did replace the spring clamp with a hose clamp.
T4onthego is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 01:30 PM
 
twins221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UTAH
Posts: 40
Had the exact same problem. I had 2.8 miles if i remember correctly. The good news is. I Now have 200 miles and its been flawless. Really happy with my machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inkedsignal-2018-03-09-165935_LI.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	3.75 MB
ID:	49313  

2018 Teryx4 LE Team Green
PRP 3 Person Bench Seat and Harnesses
2.5" Highlifter lift kit
28x10 Tensor Regulator Tires and MSA Diesel Wheels
SuperATV 3,500lb winch
SuperATV Rear Trunk/Cooler
Custom Hi-Fi Shop Audio System
Street Legal Kit

Last edited by twins221; 06-28-2018 at 01:38 PM.
twins221 is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 05:18 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 6
Did yours not have any coolant in it at all? Mine ended up dumping all of its coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcarlile View Post
My brand new Teryx 4 went 4-5 miles before it heated up so hot I could not touch it till the next morning. Hose was off, service man said the factory told him they have had several of these. He put a hose clamp on it rather than the factory spring clamp, kawasaki needs to fix this.
Did yours end up not having any coolant at all? Mine brand new Teryx4 ended up dumping all of its coolant yesterday with two miles on the odometer about a mile from the house and I had to drive it back to the road as per the dealer so they could pick it up.

Wondering if your engine was damaged and if so what did they do to fix it or *if not* were there any issues running it so long without coolant and how's it running today - thanks.

Last edited by srsm; 01-15-2019 at 05:39 AM.
srsm is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 02:06 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 3
Bought my Teryx 4 brand new in 2015, it leaked coolant on radiator hose by the dip stick. The hose clamp was probably over torqued when assemble. The clamp was broken. I replaced it with a good quality marine stainless steel clamp, has not leaked since.
Triplet200 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Teryx Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome