4 adults in a t4 - Kawasaki Teryx Forum
General Teryx Discussion For General Teryx talk. If it's about Teryx's and does not fall into another category, it belongs here!

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

4 adults in a t4

So can anyone tell me whats it like running trails with for adults in the t4? Is it sluggish tippy bottom out alot .im heading out this weekend for a run and my wife invited 2 of our friends i bought the 4 seater so i can take my 2 kids. But i feel it might be underpowered for 4 adults. What do you guys think .
rocksoffroad and axemurder911 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:26 PM
ROCKSOFFROAD

I'll have to find my pics wife & I took 2 of her co-workers up to the top of a steep ridge and down power in 4 lock climbing and reliable brakes going down
Another time up to 11000 ft Mnt looking down at Brighton ski resort with 3 adults & a moose side dog I'll probably never go up again but they handle it even where you don't want to go 😄
axemurder911 likes this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info . Just dont want to get out and loose power or agility. But i feel i wont even notice the extra weight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 03:26 PM

You notice at high speed the hp is down but trails and hills not much change. I noticed power loss 1 time in my 2015 and that was 5000ft 4 people climbing in 2ft snow.

2018 Teryx 4 Camo. Bandits, 4500 winch, Flipper windshield, Boss stereo rocks, 2" spacers, VForce tuned! Sportsman SP850 Camo for fast times, MAGA!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

That's not bad. Its mostly trail riding we will be doing. But some dirt roads so on the hills on the dirt roads i will see a loss in power going up them?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:01 PM

You will notice but it's not enough to worry about. I run down trails and dirt roads with my wife and my two kids while pulling a full bottom boat with a 40hp electric start electric tiller in high gear with no issues. So again you will feel a minimal amount of power lose but nothing to even waste a second worrying about.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:37 PM
USA

I transport 3 or 4 adults during hunting season - all of us between 180lb & 225lb. We climb granite or volcanic rock slide areas that run 45deg at 12,000' w/o a single issue. The handling characteristics change quite a bit at W.O.T. with more weight for the obvious reasons. I run such low air pressure which makes the tires tend to roll over a bit and reduce cornering ability. I didn't buy a T4 for the fastest ride around. I bought it for stability and reliability. Any loss of speed due to loading (sluggishness) is acceptable for my needs. The T4 doesn't throw in the towel.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses guys.now i know what to expect. Wich wont be a noticeable difference. I will let you know how it went.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA View Post
I transport 3 or 4 adults during hunting season - all of us between 180lb & 225lb. We climb granite or volcanic rock slide areas that run 45deg at 12,000' w/o a single issue. The handling characteristics change quite a bit at W.O.T. with more weight for the obvious reasons. I run such low air pressure which makes the tires tend to roll over a bit and reduce cornering ability. I didn't buy a T4 for the fastest ride around. I bought it for stability and reliability. Any loss of speed due to loading (sluggishness) is acceptable for my needs. The T4 doesn't throw in the towel.

"The T4 doesnt throw in the towel"

I couldnt have said it better
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:28 AM

I've ran my T4 with 2 adults in front, hunting gear for days in the back, loaded up with an entire quartered up Moose and a fullsize polaris ranger in TOW behind it with its 260 lb owner sitting inside to steer. pulled it 9 miles out up through some pretty sketchy hill climbs, water holes, and mud holes. My T4 never even got overheated and pulled it like a champion all the way out saving the day, everyone involved was pretty impressed at what my machine did. All this on 30" tires and only springs and weights for clutching.

In short OF COARSE the T4 will slow down with 400-500 extra LBS in it but it wont stop if thats what you"re asking.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:18 AM

You're going to lose performance and agility, there's no way around it. You're adding several hundred lbs of weight. It is noticeable. Does it turn the T4 into a turd? No, but it is certainly noticeable.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:22 PM
Premium Member

Garage
V-twin torque!
USA likes this.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:59 AM

Garage
I run 4 all the time. You won’t win a drag race. Up the hills no problem. Running high speeds across a field or flats it will take you longer to go from 30 to 50. But off the hole it will still pull hard. 🙂

Over the years from what I can still remember YZ80 - TC125 - Blaster - Seca II 600 - GSXR750 - LTZ400 - and now 2019 Teryx LE 4 With age comes a cage!
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:00 PM

more importantly who gives a shi*?. I know you're just asking an innocent question but if the other adults you are hauling around want to poke fun at your machine for slowing down and not ripping every hill then you could advise them to get their own damn machine!! Im sure they will not care!. have fun, sip on a good beverage, enjoy the scenery!
axemurder911 likes this.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:05 PM

Garage
and when your adults are enjoying a good beverage who the heck wants to go a million miles an hour. 95% of the time is under 30 anyhow. Getting up to 30 is still pretty dang quick. The 800 is no dog down low. I really can't tell a difference with 2 vs. 4 in the cab under 30.

Over the years from what I can still remember YZ80 - TC125 - Blaster - Seca II 600 - GSXR750 - LTZ400 - and now 2019 Teryx LE 4 With age comes a cage!
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:05 PM

Garage
Man, I hauled 3 HEAVY A$$ pipeline inspectors up and down the right of way with NO problem. Make sure your tires have the right amount of air in them or you balance the passenger load. Power will be plenty if you still have the 50 mph governor in place.
USA likes this.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:38 PM

I have ran in the mud, up fairly steep rocky and muddy trails and on hard pack as well as deep sand with four adults. No complaints here. The two adult guests in the back looked like they had just gotten off a steel rollercoaster at an amusement park. You know, that stupid grin that says Holy $h*t did that just happen? 😂
USA and MORex like this.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:13 PM

Garage
That's funny. I got more people wanting to ride in the back than shotgun. Same stupid grin seen in the rear view mirror.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:58 PM
Premium Member

I am at 13,100 miles on my Teryx4. I have ridden with 123 passenger plus Gear plus accessories often , the OEM shocks with four people in spirited driving will likely bottom out and/or just be rough I would recommend a set of rear bandit shocks with the heavyset springs ask for the heavies if you find yourself having full load full weight or seats full often They will make a huge difference If you’re running out of power or big down too much when climbing either high friction or low friction hills when you have a full load I would recommend a clutch kit makes a big difference. You have 2 main choices for a clutch kits some adjustable some not I had 8000 miles on mine before I went to a clutch kit and I will never go back it climbs so much better and sand gravel mud whatever it keeps the engine revving instead of bogging down.
USA likes this.

2012 T4 LE HL 2" LIFT 26.5 X 12 SKINNY/WIDE COMBO PITBULL ROCKER XOR UBER ROCKER TIRES ON STEEL OEM WHEELS, KAWI HALF WINDSHIELD, FULL 1/2" FACTORY UTV UHMW SKIDS, SUPERWINCH TERRA 45 WINCH, VISION X LIGHTS, GARAGE PRODUCTS FULL BUSHING KIT KAWI REAR BOX, KAWI A ARM GUARDS,KAWI REAR BUMPER, DAYSTAR JEEP SWITCH PANEL WITH UTV INC SWITCHES
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Ok so i made the run with 4 adults. The power difference i found was noticeable on the dirt roads when going up the hills. But in the trails it wasn't noticeable at all. The only thing i noticed was the rear of the buggy would bottem out alot and that is with a 2 inch lift.so maybe i need to adjust the preload on the rear .but i dont really want the rear sitting any higher then it already is compared to the front.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:07 PM

Try upping compression setting some?

2018 Teryx 4 Camo. Bandits, 4500 winch, Flipper windshield, Boss stereo rocks, 2" spacers, VForce tuned! Sportsman SP850 Camo for fast times, MAGA!
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

So you think that will stop it from sagging so much in the rear from the weight?
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:20 PM

No, preload will help but may slow down bottom outs? Buy Bandits for a permanent solution, work perfect for me. Just did a full load run and back was great, lil soft, so I will adjust tiny bit. Front was lil stiff might leave it for better feel and performance?

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Oh and another thing i noticed was i was running a dirt road with a couple hills for about 15 min and when i stopped at a 4 corners to wait while sitting their bike running for about 5 min then i started to pull away i could smell rubber burning then it went away very quickly. So the belt must of got to hot sitting and idling.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
Oh and another thing i noticed was i was running a dirt road with a couple hills for about 15 min and when i stopped at a 4 corners to wait while sitting their bike running for about 5 min then i started to pull away i could smell rubber burning then it went away very quickly. So the belt must of got to hot sitting and idling.
There's no cooling for the belt i'm aware of. I doubt the idling is what caused the belt to overheat. More likely is the 15 minutes of hill climb is what caused the heat and you didn't smell it until after you stopped which allowed the burnt rubber fumes to accumulate enough for you to smell it.

As far as the ride height with adults in the back seat, adjusting preload will increase the height, more so when there's no one back there so the only way to achieve what you want would be less weight or different shocks/springs. If you're only bottoming out on compression of the rear suspension, you could increase the shock firmness a few clicks and see if that helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Teryx Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode