2” lift issues - Kawasaki Teryx Forum
General Teryx Discussion For General Teryx talk. If it's about Teryx's and does not fall into another category, it belongs here!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
2” lift issues

I talked to my dealer about adding a 2” lift to my teryx 4. I was just making sure it wouldn’t affect warranty. He said it wouldn’t but a 2” lift would throw axles in different angle and wear splines early.

Has anyone ran into this??
bjscott418 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:41 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 797
A lift will increase the angle the axle shaft CV joints operate at. The greater the angle then the greater the wear on the joints, and the greater the stress on them. I'm not saying they will explode and kill a bus full of nuns if you put a 2" lift on, or that most people will even notice the increased wear over the life of the vehicle, but it is there. Lots and lots of people run lifts on their Teryx ....some go thousands of miles without issues and some break shafts regularly. A lot depends on how you ride. But in general I would not be concerned with the lift.

For the warranty, technically Kawasaki can deny warranty coverage on certain parts if the failure may have been caused by the modification. Legally a manufacturer can't void the complete warranty on the machine because of one aftermarket part. For example they could easily deny warranty coverage on a broken axle because you had a lift, but there is no reason they would deny warranty coverage on something like the throttle cable breaking since it is not related to the lift in anyway. With that said, they won't automatically deny warranty claims even if they are related. I broke a front axle CV joint last year and Kawasaki agreed to replace it even knowing I had a lift on it. Also, if the dealer installs the parts on a new machine and then sells it to you then most likely you won't have warranty issues...if you take it back to that same dealer if you have an issue. Why? Because Kawasaki relies on the dealer to evaluate the warranty claim and provide information in order to make the decision. Either the dealer will leave out the part about how they installed a bunch of modifications before selling the machine, or Kawasaki is more generous in approving claims if they are dealer installed parts.
6.2Blazer is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
6.2Blazer, thanks for the quick response. I've decided to add a 2" lift, just need to decide best route. Ive seen most add a spacer at the A-arm, but the one at SuperAtv adds at the top of the shock, is one better then the other?
bjscott418 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:09 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjscott418 View Post
6.2Blazer, thanks for the quick response. I've decided to add a 2" lift, just need to decide best route. Ive seen most add a spacer at the A-arm, but the one at SuperAtv adds at the top of the shock, is one better then the other?
I ran the Highlifter kit, which has the brackets at the a-arms, for years with no problems. Only removed it because they were not needed anymore after installing Bandit shocks. The Brute Performance are also brackets at the a-arms but change the geometry some for what is reported as a slightly better ride....probably would have went with that one but it wasn't on the market yet when I purchased the HL version. Don't think there is anything wrong with the SuperATV version and a lot of people run it. About the only thing to consider is if you want to go to the SuperATV offset/high clearance a-arms in the future either the HL or BP lifts are not direct bolt on with those arms. Highlifter arms have the optional lift with them so it's not a big deal.

Last edited by 6.2Blazer; 06-07-2019 at 11:32 AM.
6.2Blazer is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:06 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 110
The dealer and Blazer are correct. There is more stress on the axles with a lift. In fact, I'll bet if you go for a spirited run on the stock setup, take a heat gun to the shaft, then do the same run (with the same ambient temps) after the lift, and take a temp reading, it will be appreciably higher.

Kind of like using universal joints on a ratchet. As the angle increases, torsional stress and friction increase, and a universal joint used at more extreme angles is going to fail sooner than one used at far shallower angles.

Also along those same lines is your steering angle. While you may not be able to control the ride heigh axis of the CV joints, more often than not you can control the steering angle. Making a conscious effort to not give it too much torque (the skinny pedal) when your wheel is locked full left or right will go a long way to preserve your CV joints. How aggressive you are in tackling a hill climb is yet another factor. If your front wheels pop off the ground and land while you're on the gas, you're far more likely to snap them.

I have the BP lift and got it knowing I'll likely have to replace CV joints earlier than I would need to otherwise. The trade-off is worth it for me, I bought the Teryx as an adventure vehicle to take places I'm unwilling (due to potential damage) or unable (due to size) to take my truck to. I check the boots for tears and surrounding areas for any grease that may have leaked out and make sure the shaft itself doesn't have any excessive play after each outing.
Jabroni619 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:25 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 86
6.2 Blazer hit it right as did Jabroni. Ive ran the 2" highlifter lift since almost Day 1 and now with 1800 miles its still driving/performing great with zero issues or breakages. To me the extra height is worth it. I didnt buy this machine necessarily to get 20,000 miles out of it. I bought it to perform great and be reliable when I need it in the field. I also run 30" tires.
Spencer is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Spencer, with just the 2" lift was there any problems with tire rub, or did you change anything else?
bjscott418 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:31 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjscott418 View Post
Spencer, with just the 2" lift was there any problems with tire rub, or did you change anything else?
Yes. to Run the 30's I removed my metal recall plates. I also heated up the plastic knub on the drivers side and gently pushed it in. Now it will only rub if Im turned full lock and trying to cross a deep ditch, even then it barely touches and causes no binding, but under normal trail riding its totally fine. With my machine loaded up with 500 lbs in the back the rear tires have rubbed the paint off the rear cage, but once again only under a heavy load and only over very rough terrain that causes the suspension to fully compress, nothing binds, just literally makes the cage shiny in one spot. Some guys find that unacceptable but for me it works awesome. I have not gone with aftermarket A-Arms because of some strength issues with them. I see LOTS more posts of Super ATV Arched Arms failing than I do factory A-Arms. Im in Alaska and frequently take my machine 20-40 miles into the backcountry where a major failure makes for a bad day so reliability are top priority for me.
Spencer is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:42 PM
Official Site Vendor
 
SuperATV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Yes. to Run the 30's I removed my metal recall plates. I also heated up the plastic knub on the drivers side and gently pushed it in. Now it will only rub if Im turned full lock and trying to cross a deep ditch, even then it barely touches and causes no binding, but under normal trail riding its totally fine. With my machine loaded up with 500 lbs in the back the rear tires have rubbed the paint off the rear cage, but once again only under a heavy load and only over very rough terrain that causes the suspension to fully compress, nothing binds, just literally makes the cage shiny in one spot. Some guys find that unacceptable but for me it works awesome. I have not gone with aftermarket A-Arms because of some strength issues with them. I see LOTS more posts of Super ATV Arched Arms failing than I do factory A-Arms. Im in Alaska and frequently take my machine 20-40 miles into the backcountry where a major failure makes for a bad day so reliability are top priority for me.
I promise you, if our arms are failing....there's some serious damage going on. Lol! They're as good as it gets. Plus...lifetime warranty. I saw a couple rears break a few years ago, but they're still waaay stronger than stock, and they've been beefed up even more.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Follow us on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
SuperATV is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:59 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: so zona
Posts: 235
Just installed my super atv arms. My frame and mounts are definitely failing long before these a-arms.
phelpsaz is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:43 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperATV View Post
I promise you, if our arms are failing....there's some serious damage going on. Lol! They're as good as it gets. Plus...lifetime warranty. I saw a couple rears break a few years ago, but they're still waaay stronger than stock, and they've been beefed up even more.

Im sure the new ones are great. All im saying is that I rarely see people mention stock Arms breaking or failing and Ive seen plenty about SuperATV arms, Thats all
Spencer is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:40 PM
Premium Member
 
brokennosescotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 15 miles north of the home of the Teryx!
Posts: 574
Garage
I would be willing to wager the stock arms went through waaay more testing than yours. Just sayin.
brokennosescotty is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:47 PM
 
Barefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,149
2Ē lift issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperATV View Post
I promise you, if our arms are failing....there's some serious damage going on. Lol! They're as good as it gets. Plus...lifetime warranty. I saw a couple rears break a few years ago, but they're still waaay stronger than stock, and they've been beefed up even more.


The pivot blocks is where I see most of the issues with SuperAtv arms. I couldnít keep my back ones from bending. Also seen several pull out from the a arm on several different brand machines. On the front I never had a issue except where the sway bar mounts to. I ended up disconnecting the sway bar permanently anyways. Water is also able to get inside the a arms. Poured water out of mine when I went to change the pivot blocks. Iím back on stock a arms now. Didnít want to chance breaking one out on the trail. I will say this though, your customer service is top notch. Never had a issue getting one replaced and shipping is fast.
2” lift issues-img_3425.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barefoot is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:30 AM
Official Site Vendor
 
SuperATV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
The pivot blocks is where I see most of the issues with SuperAtv arms. I couldnít keep my back ones from bending. Also seen several pull out from the a arm on several different brand machines. On the front I never had a issue except where the sway bar mounts to. I ended up disconnecting the sway bar permanently anyways. Water is also able to get inside the a arms. Poured water out of mine when I went to change the pivot blocks. Iím back on stock a arms now. Didnít want to chance breaking one out on the trail. I will say this though, your customer service is top notch. Never had a issue getting one replaced and shipping is fast.
Attachment 52895


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Barefoot! And yeah, all of that has been changed to chromoly over the last few years. I remember a few years ago. Anything in the past year or two that's gone out has been the chromoly.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Follow us on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
SuperATV is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Teryx Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome