Changing belt question - Kawasaki Teryx Forum
How - To For Modifications, Bolt-Ons, Maintenance and Troubleshooting How-To's - Pictures make it better!

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jones_Mahoney
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 152
Changing belt question

Think Iím going to change my belt. 2000 mi on the machine and the belt slipped the other day when I tried to go. I put it in neutral and revíd the engine for a sec then put it back in gear and then it went just fine. But the machine never did that before, so now Iím paranoid about the belt.

Question is do I need to order the seal for the clutch cover also or is it like a o ring that is reusable?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jones_Mahoney is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 06:40 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oak Ridge TN
Posts: 72
I replaced the Belt on my 2017 T2 yesterday and used the same rubber seal,
Danno is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 04:38 PM
 
Barefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,158
Just be careful with it while removing everything and you can reuse it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barefoot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 152
So I changed the belt today. What a treat. I donít this could reasonably be done in the field so Iím glad I did. I have just under 2k miles on the machine. I bought it used and I have run it hard for the last 500 miles that I put on the machine. Pretty big pain in the ass to change this. Saw a video of the older ones where the sheeves were smaller and you donít have to pull them and the clutch. That is better than the current situation. So after disassembling all the plastic and pulling the gas tank (Which has was full) I got the cover off. Even with my impact I could not get the nut off the clutch(I have a very powerful impact gun and yes I looked at the arrow direction to remove the nut). The nut on the sheeve came right off and after putting 2 m8x50 bolts in it to spread it I was able to slide it off and get the old belt off and the new belt on without taking off the clutch. So I would not recommend taking off the clutch to change the belt. Hit the belts with the calipers. New belt was 29.5mm. Old belt was 29.1mm. Got all back together and took it for a test ride. Went great and there was a noticeable increase in acceleration that I didnít expect.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jones_Mahoney is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:25 AM
 
Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Summer way up north winter North of Barrie ON
Posts: 147
Garage
OEM Belt or aftermarket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones_Mahoney View Post
So I changed the belt today. What a treat. I donít this could reasonably be done in the field so Iím glad I did. I have just under 2k miles on the machine. I bought it used and I have run it hard for the last 500 miles that I put on the machine. Pretty big pain in the ass to change this. Saw a video of the older ones where the sheeves were smaller and you donít have to pull them and the clutch. That is better than the current situation. So after disassembling all the plastic and pulling the gas tank (Which has was full) I got the cover off. Even with my impact I could not get the nut off the clutch(I have a very powerful impact gun and yes I looked at the arrow direction to remove the nut). The nut on the sheeve came right off and after putting 2 m8x50 bolts in it to spread it I was able to slide it off and get the old belt off and the new belt on without taking off the clutch. So I would not recommend taking off the clutch to change the belt. Hit the belts with the calipers. New belt was 29.5mm. Old belt was 29.1mm. Got all back together and took it for a test ride. Went great and there was a noticeable increase in acceleration that I didnít expect.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just bought a spare belt from Dealer his list was over CAD 174.00 plus tax Royal distributing sells their best belt for substantially less I found. What did you use? I dont see much differences in the belts.
The other question is at what time or mileage do you guys change the belts for preventative maintenance to be safe?

ITS BETTER DO DO NOTHING AND MAKE NO MONEY THEN BUSTING YOUR ASS AND MAKE NO MONEY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Wolf is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I just bought a spare belt from Dealer his list was over CAD 174.00 plus tax Royal distributing sells their best belt for substantially less I found. What did you use? I dont see much differences in the belts.

The other question is at what time or mileage do you guys change the belts for preventative maintenance to be safe?


Kawasakipartswarehouse.com Has the factory belts for $137. I used the factory belt. I think most people change the belt around 2000-2500 mi. To be safe. I think Kawasaki says 2500 mi I have read about guys going 3000 mi on their belts. After 2k mi my belt looked very good still. But if I did the work to open it up, Iím changing it. I will say the machine accelerates a little faster and smoother with the new belt.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wolf likes this.
Jones_Mahoney is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:16 AM
 
Ghmpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Wickenburg, AZ and Ely, NV
Posts: 73
I have a question. Some people that change their belts say to use 2 M 8 45 mm bolts. Above says to use M 8 50 mm bolts. Is the length not a big issue? I am at 2400 miles and want to purchase the bolts to have them when needed. Thanks for any insight. And yes I will use an OEM belt but the :
Kawasakipartswarehouse.com link does not work just saying.

Glenn
Wickenburg, AZ and
Ely, NV
Fuel vent mod
2017 Teryx4 LE



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Ghmpm is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:49 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 95
It is a pain in the ass to change belts on these I would agree. Thank god they dont chew belts very often. I also voluntarily changed my belt after 1600 hard miles after I squealed it a couple times doing stupid stuff. Id rather change it in my garage than in the field being eaten by mosquito's, in the dark, or with the machine covered in Mud. I wish Kawi made it easier honestly. Taking the fuel cell out?...............really Kawi LOL. The worst part however is that you literally need a portable impact gun to get the clutch nuts off. I went a spent $250 on a 20 VOLT impact gun just to carry in my machine JUST to change abelt in the field if needed. With most machines its a 20 minute beer and piss break and the belts changed out and you"re back riding, not with our machines unless you are super super practiced up haha
Spencer is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghmpm View Post
I have a question. Some people that change their belts say to use 2 M 8 45 mm bolts. Above says to use M 8 50 mm bolts. Is the length not a big issue? I am at 2400 miles and want to purchase the bolts to have them when needed. Thanks for any insight. And yes I will use an OEM belt but the :

Kawasakipartswarehouse.com link does not work just saying.


I would get the m8 50. I used most of the threads on them to compress the sheeve. If you donít need all the length they can just stick out. No big deal.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jones_Mahoney is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:54 AM
 
Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Summer way up north winter North of Barrie ON
Posts: 147
Garage
Jones: do you have the size of the socket needed for the clutch nut?

ITS BETTER DO DO NOTHING AND MAKE NO MONEY THEN BUSTING YOUR ASS AND MAKE NO MONEY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Wolf is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:56 AM
 
Baddazzbigblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Podunk Utah
Posts: 329
Garage
Just ordered a new belt for my '18 with 2400 miles.....

$109 shipped from RMATV in Payson Utah

Will have my mech buddy change mine...along with plugs

As I've mentioned...low range is your friend...use more than you think........

Baddazzbigblue is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:38 PM
USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones_Mahoney View Post
So I changed the belt today. What a treat. I donít this could reasonably be done in the field so Iím glad I did. I have just under 2k miles on the machine. I bought it used and I have run it hard for the last 500 miles that I put on the machine. Pretty big pain in the ass to change this. Saw a video of the older ones where the sheeves were smaller and you donít have to pull them and the clutch. That is better than the current situation. So after disassembling all the plastic and pulling the gas tank (Which has was full) I got the cover off. Even with my impact I could not get the nut off the clutch(I have a very powerful impact gun and yes I looked at the arrow direction to remove the nut). The nut on the sheeve came right off and after putting 2 m8x50 bolts in it to spread it I was able to slide it off and get the old belt off and the new belt on without taking off the clutch. So I would not recommend taking off the clutch to change the belt. Hit the belts with the calipers. New belt was 29.5mm. Old belt was 29.1mm. Got all back together and took it for a test ride. Went great and there was a noticeable increase in acceleration that I didnít expect.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IIRC, 28.6 is minimum spec? You should have had plenty bite unless you found glazed/heated transition surface. Glad you got it done nonetheless.
USA is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:15 AM
 
Ghmpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Wickenburg, AZ and Ely, NV
Posts: 73
I just had Kawasaki dealer change my belt at 2386 miles. They charged $138 for the OEM belt and that is the best price I could find online. I don't have enough tools at our summer place so they got the nod. Going to do some heavy booney riding so wanted to get it taken care of, interesting thing is I had them keep the old belt for a spare and it appears new... Amazing shape, I don't have a way to measure but it looks good. In addition they said my battery was toast (50% capacity) so I picked one up at NAPA and installed it! Should be good to go for a while.

Glenn
Wickenburg, AZ and
Ely, NV
Fuel vent mod
2017 Teryx4 LE



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Ghmpm is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Teryx Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome