Fuel Question for 2011 T2 - Kawasaki Teryx Forum
Intake and Fuel Anything Air/Fuel related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Fuel Question for 2011 T2

Two times this summer I’ve went on a small ride and I’ll stop and it won’t start back. Like it can’t get fuel. The next day it has started up both times. It is efi. Is the pump about to go bad or could it be something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:15 AM

There are 2 fuel filters - one is placed on the bottom of the pump assembly. And the other is a small screen inside the pump assembly. One or both could be contaminated, resulting in lowered fuel pressure seeming to starve the engine of fuel. I believe then larger outside o is easily replaced, but to replace the inside smaller one you have to buy the whole pump assembly. There are other threads here that detail a work around that breaks this filter screen.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:33 AM
DILLIGAF

Garage
But what is causing it to start later?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:37 AM
DILLIGAF

Garage
What about coil getting hot? Just wild guess.

How can you tell the difference between not getting fuel, vs spark? Have you done more than just crank it over?

You hear stories about fuel vent issues. Never experienced one. That might be something that cools down.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

I drove it about 3 miles up the highway and picked a girl up (it sat for about 4-5 minutes waiting on her) then drove about another 3 miles up the highway to get to the dirt trail. I might have went 2-3 miles at 15-20mph around the hill before I stopped to gauge all 4 of my tires. This is when it wouldn’t restart. I unhooked the fuel line to drain any fuel and wanted to see would it pull fuel back into the line after I cranked it a few times. I took my center console plastic off and pecked around and unplugged the fuel pump sensor and replugged it. I was going to change my spark plug and replace the fuel pump. I’m about afraid just to replace the 1 filter since I’m going riding with some old high school buddies this memorial weekend and don’t want to get on the trail and this happen again. Lol I’d be more aggravation than I’m worth if it wouldn’t start back then 😂
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:31 PM
DILLIGAF

Garage
I wouldn't go on a ride. Even with a spare seat in buddy's machine, you got to tow it out.

I had a truck that wouldn't start warm, that had a bad fuel pressure regulator.

Have you unhooked the fuel line, when cold to compare how much fuel came out?

The question is why does it not work when warm? If the pump, why is it ok when cold? Maybe reason, I dunno.

You need to make this happen at home, so can go through spark and put fuel pressure gauge on.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

I haven’t unhooked the line when it was cold to check how much fuel it was pulling. I guess I might better just go ahead and let the dealer check it out so I don’t think I might have fixed it and then end up in the same situation as this weekend. Thank you all for all the possible recommendations to try and help. I appreciate it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:06 PM
DILLIGAF

Garage
Let us know what dealer finds. Might help the next guy. Plus I am curious.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

I will let you know the Verdict.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:19 AM
DILLIGAF

Garage
Sounds like the pressure regulator in my truck. Would run fine and start cold fine. I don't know what these engines have. Though reminds me a coil too. They can ohm fine,but have perodic issues. Enough spark when running, but idle or starting can be issues.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Today I decided since the filter at the bottom of the pump has never been changed and if the pump pulls all drugs from the bottom up to the filter that possibly it is taking awhile for the drug particles to free back up from the filter since the pump is pulling it up in that direction. Figured I’d start with the $15 dollar OEM filter exchange and then drive it up and down the road some and shut it off in my yard to see if it will keep starting back. The dealer told me it would be hard to gauge what the issue exactly is without it acting up when they had it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:15 PM
DILLIGAF

Garage
Good to start with cheap stuff. Doesn't hurt. I am kinda skeptical, but I really don't know. Reminds me I should change filter, never have.

Sounds like fuel or spark. Which sure doesn't narrow it down. If does it at home, can check spark. But hate to say, I have never even seen the plugs on this thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Teryx Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode