perspective on the KRX 1000 - Kawasaki Teryx Forum
KRX 1000 Dedicated discussions for the Kawasaki Teryx KRX 1000

84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

perspective on the KRX 1000

I have seen posts about the KRX being non competitive from a sales standpoint, underpowered, and overpriced. My thoughts on this are as follows. Kawasaki has done well enough with the teryx and teryx4 to keep making and selling them with a MSRP of up to $17200. I believe that this is because of the proven reliability of Kawasaki's side by sides. They make a sport version of the teryx with features and specs that appear to me at least, to make it potentially the most reliable sport sxs on the market. Beefy suspension and driveline components, centrifugal clutch before the cvt (to save the cvt and other driveline components from hard torque stress's) belt temp gauge (improve belt reliability) crawl power mode (so you don't accidentally give it too much gas in a tight spot causing undue driveline stress). These are all things that make me believe they are trying to mantain their reputation for reliability which as teryx owners we all love, which also inturn saves us money and keeps us on the trail stress free. I ask you all with the experience you have with the current teryx you own, do you regret your purchase? I also ask for those of us who have purchased a teryx with the MSRP of $17200 if the dealership you bought your machine from said for $3300 more we could give you 55 more hp, 2.5 times the suspension travel, and 31" tires on beadlocks, would you have done it? I will admit I am assuming that the KRX will be as reliable as the regular teryx (for the reasons mentioned previously it may be, at least in stock form) and the $17200 MSRP model has 4 seats but the premise is the same. The only thing that disappoints me is that they only have a 6 month warranty, but this is Kawasaki's first sport sxs and they can't assume every other manufacturer's quality is not good ( because all sport sxs's to date break parts). It wouldn't surprise me if Kawasaki would extend the factory warranty or discount the extended warranty if the KRX is as reliable as they seem to be trying to make it. My .02 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:45 PM

Good points but you are missing a few HUGE POI. First 6 month vs 3 year warranty. I shopped Teryx4 due to that 3 year warranty. So that puts me out based on past actions... 2nd is comparison price points to competition. KRX isn't a :Great" deal $ wise. This thing is SLOW compared to competitors. @1900lbs and 68mph it is grossly underpowered vs rzr or X3 or yxz or Talon or XX. No races won here. 3rd is size, 68" and 99"???? I don't understand strategy. Is width to gain suspension travel # past other 64"??? WHy so long if its for woods and trails as many keep claiming? Take RZR pro at same suspension travel #'s 181hp, lighter weights and 64: wide and 96" long and tell me how Kawa is seeing things cause I don't get it? I do like it a lot and am considering buying one soon but as I compare it is a poor comparison in many ways to some other brands. A new buyer who isn't knowledgable to Kawa durability is likely to pass it up for another machine. I did until I read warranty of 3 y back in 2015. Poor sales seem inevitable. I doubt centrif clutch will hold up to aftermarket turbos?? I feel KRX should have came in at $18K or and 120hp min. That said it is showing BIG #'s in torque so will have to wait n see. 1 other point which is a STUPID move from Kawa and grossly ignored is many states don't allow over 64" machines!!!! POOR SALES!!! Market it for west coast rocks and open contry at 69' then don't give it HP to compete??? Really makes no sense to me.

2018 Teryx 4 Camo. Bandits, 4500 winch, Flipper windshield, Boss stereo rocks, 2" spacers, VForce tuned! Sportsman SP850 Camo for fast times, MAGA!
post #3 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by familywheeler View Post
I have seen posts about the KRX being non competitive from a sales standpoint, underpowered, and overpriced. My thoughts on this are as follows. Kawasaki has done well enough with the teryx and teryx4 to keep making and selling them with a MSRP of up to $17200. I believe that this is because of the proven reliability of Kawasaki's side by sides. They make a sport version of the teryx with features and specs that appear to me at least, to make it potentially the most reliable sport sxs on the market. Beefy suspension and driveline components, centrifugal clutch before the cvt (to save the cvt and other driveline components from hard torque stress's) belt temp gauge (improve belt reliability) crawl power mode (so you don't accidentally give it too much gas in a tight spot causing undue driveline stress). These are all things that make me believe they are trying to mantain their reputation for reliability which as teryx owners we all love, which also inturn saves us money and keeps us on the trail stress free. I ask you all with the experience you have with the current teryx you own, do you regret your purchase? I also ask for those of us who have purchased a teryx with the MSRP of $17200 if the dealership you bought your machine from said for $3300 more we could give you 55 more hp, 2.5 times the suspension travel, and 31" tires on beadlocks, would you have done it? I will admit I am assuming that the KRX will be as reliable as the regular teryx (for the reasons mentioned previously it may be, at least in stock form) and the $17200 MSRP model has 4 seats but the premise is the same. The only thing that disappoints me is that they only have a 6 month warranty, but this is Kawasaki's first sport sxs and they can't assume every other manufacturer's quality is not good ( because all sport sxs's to date break parts). It wouldn't surprise me if Kawasaki would extend the factory warranty or discount the extended warranty if the KRX is as reliable as they seem to be trying to make it. My .02 cents.
FWIW I gave $13,000 for my Teryx LE when I bought it off the showroom floor. another $600 for an EXTRA 3yr of warrantee brought me to $13,600 OTD

Brett- bought 10-11-15

'15 TERYX T2 LE, stock tires/wheels-for trails, 29.5 Assassinators on STI HD3 wheels for mud, 1" wheel spacers, SATV high clearance front/rear A-arms VIPER Elite 5k winch, Snorkels, Half Windshield, Bubba Rope, CIPA Mirror, LED backup light, APEX Battery, Kawie Billet Shift Handle, VFJ clutch, PC5, MUZZY dual exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 03:31 PM

I would have paid the $3300 in a heart beat. This is my first side by side a 2017 teryx4 LE. I researched Polaris, Artic cat/Honda, Canam, Yamaha, and the off brands Odes or whatever and chose the Kawasaki because of the warranty, price, and from research big leap in reliability. What I immediately dislike though: Power/speed. I first road Three wheelers when I was a kid, then to motorcycles, then to atvs mostly Honda and kawasakis, then stopped riding for about 10 yrs (military/moving a lot). Moved back home in 2017 and took my Dads Polaris rzr 900sp out and wow I was hooked. But the price and warranty scared me. so After research went with Kawasaki and love it. But its not even on the same level speed/power wise as the other units. So for $3300 I would have waited if I knew anytime soon a 4 seater option would come. Its awesome having the reliability with 3 yr warranty but these are also toys (mostly) They make the Mules, and other brands/models specifically designed for utility and work already. I would have loved just a little more power for the 4 seaters.

Orange 17 Teryx4 LE, 4.5k winch, Full windshield, Roof, quadboss front rack, full size front spare tire/wheel
post #5 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 04:40 PM

Exactly. I pd $12900 camo teryx4 plus tax. I ALMOST bought Yamaha x4 with a cab. 2 reasons were more HP, quieter and enclosed cab options. Now I didn't buy X4 but that was because wife wanted Kawasaki due to reliability and warranty as we had Teryx before. I might have choose the Yamaha though, not sure. I do love it and happy she made up my mind. Now living up here in PNW a 68" machine might be an issue in the forest trails. 64" seems good. IF I could buy new KRX with the cab kit and 64" and some more hp I would have already ordered it. So ya sales are already down, from me at least. Honestly the new RZR pro is perfect except for the cab option. It is built MUCH tougher then previous RZR, sized correctly, fast as hell, ergos great, priced close to KRX. Hmm. Competitive.

2018 Teryx 4 Camo. Bandits, 4500 winch, Flipper windshield, Boss stereo rocks, 2" spacers, VForce tuned! Sportsman SP850 Camo for fast times, MAGA!
post #6 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormking View Post
Exactly. I pd $12900 camo teryx4 plus tax. I ALMOST bought Yamaha x4 with a cab. 2 reasons were more HP, quieter and enclosed cab options. Now I didn't buy X4 but that was because wife wanted Kawasaki due to reliability and warranty as we had Teryx before. I might have choose the Yamaha though, not sure. I do love it and happy she made up my mind. Now living up here in PNW a 68" machine might be an issue in the forest trails. 64" seems good. IF I could buy new KRX with the cab kit and 64" and some more hp I would have already ordered it. So ya sales are already down, from me at least. Honestly the new RZR pro is perfect except for the cab option. It is built MUCH tougher then previous RZR, sized correctly, fast as hell, ergos great, priced close to KRX. Hmm. Competitive.

My teryx4 reminds me of a mini version of my 1984 4runner. BulletProof and just wont quit but def. not anything impressive with power or temperature lol. She may never be first in a race but she'll always get you to the finish line hahaha. Even if just the noise was as quiet as the rzr I would be way happier. Im honestly ok with speed and the heat but the noise is just a tad more than I was hoping for. Again not a deal breaker but even the teryx4 makes my 7.3l sound super quiet hahaha.
Bashlin likes this.

Orange 17 Teryx4 LE, 4.5k winch, Full windshield, Roof, quadboss front rack, full size front spare tire/wheel
post #7 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:57 PM

I think Kawasaki missed the mark with the wide width, I live in a Wisconsin where 64 is the maximum width. I would like to see a upgraded teryx more based on the teryx Maybe the new motor In one
post #8 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Kawasaki probably doesn't believe they will make sales numbers like Polaris. Where I usually ride it is at least 10 to 1 Polaris sxs's to any other manufacturer's. Probably 25 or more to 1 teryx. Can am being about the same if not slightly better. If you are comparing sales numbers of Polaris to any other manufacturer I believe all of them will come up short. I agree with you on the price being high not compared to competition but it is high. the reason I brought up MSRP is that I would expect to see similar discounts on the KRX next year that most people see on teryx's now. So the 18000 mark seems more inline with actual sales price.
post #9 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

The reason I could think of for the width is they have the original teryx that is already 62" wide. Perhaps they have plans on making a slightly wider standard teryx to fill the 64" market like what Jkenosh said. I wouldn't think it would cost them very much to make 1"longer control arms and fit it with longer shocks to gain more suspension travel and ground clearance. It has been said that the standard teryx with it's meager 50 hp can easily keep up with higher hp machines in wooded trails.
post #10 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Just to make note for the apples to apples comparison the curb weight of the KRX is almost 1900 lbs. That includes fuel and oil levels filled. The dry weight of the rzr pro xp is 1736lbs doesn't include a full fuel tank and oil which for certain is more than 70lbs. So the KRX is less than 90 lbs more. The old saying in drag racing was 100lbs is equal to .1 of a second in the 1/4 mile.
post #11 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 05:45 AM

So we just got the new krx. Only took it on an hour ride yesterday. It is awesome. Nice smooth power. Nice suspension. Very comfortable seats. It is no rzr turbo. But everything seems great. Glad we got it. Very quiet in cab too.
Jones_Mahoney and Bane like this.
post #12 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexjeremy View Post
So we just got the new krx. Only took it on an hour ride yesterday. It is awesome. Nice smooth power. Nice suspension. Very comfortable seats. It is no rzr turbo. But everything seems great. Glad we got it. Very quiet in cab too.
Pic or it didn't happen (har har)!
justinooo9 likes this.
post #13 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:39 AM

Lol seriously though. I will take some pix when I get home and try a video too
post #14 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 10:09 AM
TERYXERISER

I haven't driven one yet but I did go look at one the only thing needed is a top and maybe the factory harnesses other than that I think Kawy did a great job! I was watching a video of some guys tooling through trees in one the passenger was filming and he had the speed clearly visible and they were reaching 55mph. That looked pretty dang fast dodging trees and stumps. Also when comparing its MSRP to MSRP and curb weight to curb weight and HP to HP anything else is just skewed results. Just my two pennies worth!!

'08 LIME GREEN HRT LONGTRAVEL
BADINFLUENCE CAGE DALTON COVER
VDI MUZZY POWDERTECH II FST STD BORE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #15 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:13 PM

I would hesitate to make some of these negative references until the machine has some time to get on the market and start competing with the other machines (grossly underpowered, SLOW, etc...). Maybe they will hold true but I come from a background where you would get fired from making statements like that without facts and data to support it. Say what you want about Kawasaki engineering and marketing but there are a lot of people with a ton of experience doing the research on these machines starting years ago. The KRX's are selling like hotcakes right and and will continue to for awhile. I stopped by our local dealership who is the largest Kawasaki dealer in our state (also sells Polaris, Yamaha, and Can-Am) to take a look at the KRX. The salesman basically told me it may be next spring before they actually had one sitting in the showroom because they are selling so fast. Their first one lasted one day before it was bought, and every one they are expecting for the next several months is already sold.

The size will be an issue for some people, but it wouldn't for me or anyplace I ride. I'm from the Midwest and ride places like Brimstone, Windrock, Black Mountain, etc... and 68" is not an issue for any of those places. There are a lot of 72" wide machines running around and a lot of originally 64" wide machines with wider or offset wheels and tires.

With that said, I won't disagree that the KRX is not the right machine for everybody. If speed and power numbers are the only thing you are interested in then go buy an X3 or RZR Pro, but for all-around use and trail riding I think it will be great.
post #16 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:20 PM

I agree with you 6.2 blazer. I took our on the trails behind our house that I take our teryx 4. And it took the trails better than the teryx4. A little adjusting. But the extra width is not an issue
post #17 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:52 PM

2 dealers I know of with a new Teryx here in Seattle to Portland metro. Both are still sitting there... Just saying. Can you buy a RZR or X or Talon in Wisconsin? Yup. 64". 2 dealers declined to sell KRX. Wonder where they are? Hmm. A better strategy would have helped sales for Kawa is what I am saying. Also Hasn't Polaris and Canam been leading industry in sales for many years??? Wonder why, it isn't quality, its Speed and badass'ness! Lol. Why is it "negative" to point out the bad and the good? Its a great utv which I like but has some questionable specs too. No ROSE colored glasses for me on anything in life.

post #18 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 05:06 PM

Garage
Stormking is just upset because he just realized that a "Perfect 10" doesn't exist.
LazyCat likes this.

2016 T2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan 1500
post #19 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 06:18 PM

Ya so true. My Wife is only exception. She choose teryx4 and me! LOL!

post #20 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 06:43 PM

There it is guys. Love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2A5A84B7-C1A5-4013-BBB8-773809B69A09_1571791366222.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	53771  
rocksoffroad and Bane like this.
post #21 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 07:21 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Jeremy, I think you bought a damn nice machine, makes me proud to be a former Kawasaki employee! I hope you have many trouble free years of riding.

Mike
post #22 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 07:37 PM

Well Scotty thank you. And we really have t done much riding yet. 20 miles. But the thing is a rock crawling beast. Low mode gives you 57% of the power. So you can just crawl up whatever it is you want to crawl up. And it is plenty fast for what we do. I hope we have many trouble free years too.
post #23 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 07:37 PM

Sorry mike
post #24 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 08:26 PM

KRXjeremy, thanks for the pic. Congrats on being the first on this board to get your hands on one!
post #25 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 08:28 PM

I have a little video climbing some rocks. I just don’t know how to upload a video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Teryx Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode