Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

Which accessories do you want?

13K views 50 replies 10 participants last post by  DiggerDan 
#1 ·
We need more threads here, so I'll start one... which accessories do you want for your KRX?

I got the Sport Roof yesterday when I picked up my KRX. It's $200 cheaper than the "premium" roof and doesn't have the (IMO) silly "sunroof" hole, which to me, defeats the purpose of having a roof. It's a decent-quality piece and took about a half hour to install.

Next payday I'm going to order the skid plate and suspension arm guards. After that, I will add the Rock Sliders and the Nerf Bars. Then it'll be time for bumpers. I'm tempted to wait on bumpers to see what the aftermarket comes up with.

I MIGHT even spring for (at some point in the future) the heater kit. I know I want the alternator upgrade, as I want to get some LED light bars for it. I'm not spending $500 on the Kawi light bar, though. I can get one on eBay for $60, and I may fab my own mount, or spend the $100 on the OEM mount that includes the switch.

At $1500+, I have no desire to get the audio system. Seems if you want something like that, you could save a small fortune by buying a marine head unit and speakers and installing all of it yourself. I'm fine streaming music into my helmet with my SENA SMH-10 that I also use on my motorcycle.

I also can't decide on a spare tire. I'm not really sure it's necessary. I'll carry a plug kit and an air compressor like I do on the quad, but a whole wheel and tire? That's 35-40 lbs of unnecessary weight and uses a lot of cargo space. Not to mention the cost of buying it. I'd be curious to hear thoughts on that.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
We ordered the heater we always wanted a full cab on our 2014 T4 also getting it street legal right from the start that was the priority this time
We wanted it all but had to choose what we could do without for now the t4 had full windshield but no upper door windows or wiper glad we could go for it this time
We also ordered front & rear bumpers
No stereo last time it was a waist to get it couldn't hear a thing past 20 mph $1000 is twice what we payed I love the tunes but maybe a wetbar Bluetooth or headphones or something ?

#3 ·
I want to get the heater too eventually.. maybe next year.. but I'm not sure if it'd get enough use to justify the cost. First I want the alternator so I can get the light bars and other electrical stuff setup.

I also don't see a point in the stereo... too costly and like you said, you can't hear it above certain speeds anyway, and I was raised to not make a nuisance of myself to others, so blaring a stereo on the trails doesn't work for me. I stream music into my helmet with my SENA SMH-10.

This weekend I'm picking up the half windshield. I'm considering the soft rear panel, since it can be unzipped and rolled up. Here in Arizona, our winters are VERY mild. Summers are too hot to ride (without A/C), so it gets parked from June through September.

I was going to get that tail box, but for $350 it's just not enough. It's little more than a "fat" tailgate with some storage space. And the tailgate is also a joke because it doesn't fold down like on a truck. I'm going to wait -- I bet the aftermarket will come up with a properly molded piece to fit the entire bed area for secured storage, and still have tie-down points on top.

As for bumpers, I have lots of scrap steel laying around, so I'm going to see about building my own bumpers. It'll be similar to the one Kawi sells, but won't have the big "headlight guard" thing on top and will be out of square tubing. If it works out, I'll build one for the rear too. Right now I have to decide if I'm going to buy a tubing bender or just cut it into small pieces for the angles.

Oh.. I'm going to get harnesses too, but not til somebody makes a harness bar for it. Not paying $540 for Kawi's when I can get others for $100 each.

#4 ·
Oh fur sure I always carried a spare I'll see what I can do to find one last time I bought an aftermrk Rocky Mnt Atv rim & 2.0 maxxis then I bought a set of take offs with factory alum rims so I used an oem front wheel I'll see where I can get a Oem beadlock
I have a 1/2 portable hammer driver and bottle jack I've seen the sissor jack goes good with the portable driver & socket I'll probably use a cheep tool box and cooler in the back I'm like you I'll wait on the tailgate the tire rack looked good though I can't remember how much they want for that

#5 ·
If I bought one I would want the cab kit with heater, Protection package, Alt. kit and winch. But I would want to see the prices on these "packages" vs individual parts vs aftermarket first. I think heater cab kit is a must for us though.

#6 ·
A winch would b nice only in the desert sometimes there's no ancor point
Suspension guards would help I bent them a couple times on the 2014 the metal skids looked like a war zone first couple of rides we need plastic skids no matter if you say you won't hit them too many rocks on road

#7 ·
There's an optional "Tow hook" for the front and rear, $20 each.. I have 'em on order because yeah, there's no other anchor point.

Re: spare tire. The Maxxis website doesn't even list the 31x10x15 like we have; it lists a 32" version. That means we'll have to go through the dealer for the tire (ugh). I'm guessing we're looking at $500-600 for a freakin' spare. Ugh.

I was watching a video last night from Ruthless Motorsports doing an install on that tail box. It's expensive at $350, but I'm liking it a bit more. Turns out it's lockable, which is a huge plus. Might just get it. Good place to store my air compressor and other tools I'd rather not have to load and unload every time I use the thing, since it lives outside.

#9 ·
Just got the tow hooks and installed them. I don't have the front and rear bumpers so I had to make spacers because the bolts are too long without the bumpers. After our first ride and with the full glass windshield, we found it would be a good idea to get the rear panel because of the dust swirling in. That may be the next purchase.

#10 ·
I am still waiting for cab kit. Ug. This sucks. I will need to order tow hooks and install a winch after.

#11 ·
I started with half windshield then a 2" lift it came with a winch . I built my own rear bumper and put tow hooks on it and bought the front add on bush guard . But i REALLY WANT THE OEM FULL SOFT CAB !!!!!!! But for now im going to order the rear soft windshield.

#13 ·
I called the dealer today he said got the Alt. Still waiting on the roof & rear panel
Did you see the Ruthless sports vid he's riding in the cold with only the windshield & heater on his review said it puts out Maybe hot feet & cold ears
We have a lot of snow now
One of our office workers said he rode his road bike past Panquitch UT at 18° and wasn't bad with heated pants gloves ect Maybe a snowmobile suit I'm about ready to RIDE!!

Last year with the T4 in the spring

Attachments

#16 ·
I have a like-new half-windshield I'll sell for $250 shipped (continental USA). Bought it... it's nice but I think I want a full windshield. Am considering making my own. Meanwhile, this one is sitting around without so much as a mark on it when it could be on somebody's machine.

My next accessories will be that "dash net" (so my extra gloves will stay put) and the Ryco street legal kit. I don't "need" that kit for Arizona, but Utah requires it, and I want to be fully legal when I'm up there. Got my AZ street legal plate yesterday ($25 plus the $25 OHV decal) so now I just need the kit.

#17 ·
Has anyone done a winch yet?? I will be soon but haven't decided what winch to buy yet? I see EMP has install plate/kit for under $100 so I will go with theirs. Badlands 5k or TSC 4500 will likely be what I choose as I have had good luck with both in past and under $200! Rob I am curious about those Sena Bluetooth helmets? Are they good? Can ya hear surroundings ok? Does radio fm/am work with em? Can ya communicate well with others in trees or only open country?

#18 ·
I'm going to do a winch soon... my next paycheck (12/20) will be winch time and maybe a few other things. I'm also liking that EMP (I think that's it) mount for $69. The winches I'm considering are either the SuperATV 5000 or the Viper Elite 5000. The latter is actually a little more money than Warn's 4500 synthetic, but I have a Viper Elite on my Sportsman 850 and it's a very nice unit. It has both cabled and wireless remotes. The Viper also has 65' of line instead of 40-50' like some others. They're on eBay.

Save your money on the Sena helmet; get whatever helmet you want and then add the Sena unit to it for about $150 extra (including mount). Mine works great; BUT, it's worth noting that at least on my older SMH10, the speakers are very "tinny" sounding, but with ear plugs, that cures that problem, and the music sounds great, even nailing whoops at 50 mph. :)

I've only used it to communicate a few times, and that was on motorcycles... they work pretty well. I would imagine that canyons, hills or tree cover will reduce range, but we've gotten at least a half mile or more in the open with it.

#19 ·
I did a little more reading today on my lunch break, and the winch I'm going to get is the SuperATV Black Ops 5000 for $399: https://www.superatv.com/5000-black-ops-utv-atv-synthetic-rope-winch

It appears to be every bit as good as the Viper Elite, but has a better gear ratio and operates faster. It "only" has 50' of cable compared to 65, but it's also $30 cheaper, and I carry extensions anyway.

Now if next payday will hurry up and come... :)

#20 ·
I ordered tow hooks and emp winch mount. Going to buy Badlands 5k on sale for $180??ish. After heater install done I will install winch. Should be good to go for now. I do want bumper as I tend to run over trees often. Maybe rock slider or nerfs? Dunno yet as I haven't ran it to see what is needed. Factory skids look pretty darn good to me? Are trailing arm skids important? Looks pretty tough already?

#21 ·
I have some pretty good scrapes on my A-arms and trailing arms, but they all look very superficial... that may sound contradictory, but what I mean is I've hit 'em all pretty hard, and from what I see, they look like minor scrapes meaning I think they're pretty darn beefy.

If you don't plan to do a lot of rock crawling, you probably don't need them. It's a lot of money for basically plastic covering. I'm still debating if I'll spend the money on them either and rocks are my favorite place to play.

#22 · (Edited)
Roof came in. Still waiting for back window. She at dealer getting heater installed now. Hoping to tear it apart and install ryco street kit and a Badland 5k ($160 coupon sale but switch sucks needs replaced with rocker) winch emp mount on Saturday! Should be not fun! It helps a guy get familiar with machine when ya gots too tear it apart to see how it works! Elect. is easy enough but slow and meticulous work. After done I have tow hooks and door kit to do. I will wait to install roof until electrical work done as roofs tend to block overhead lighting! I learned this hard way.

Reactions: rocksoffroad
#24 ·
Ok, got it back. Not rode it yet as I now will install winch ryco kit doors and roof. Windshield, wiper and heater done. I can say that heater kit is very nice. 6 vents, foot face and windshield. Elect controls, 3 position fan and temp control. It works very well and is a little loud. Windshield is also very nice. Rear windscreen is back ordered no est time yet.

#25 ·
Update. Winch install. Badlands 5k and EMP mount. The emp is garbage imop. Surprising as previous EMP products have been good. Where to start? Well 20% of powder coating has flaked bubbled and peeled off very easily. I don't think the metal was cleaned properly. The 4 holes in plate that winch bolts to do not line up very well with Kawa. The Fairlead bolt pattern is 1/2" too close on 2nd plate on this winch. Not saying that is EMP fault but seems weird to me? Had to drill em out and washer em which really sucks. I would like to know why EMP thinks ya need 4 3" bolts to bolt winch plate to machine? 1'1/2 plenty long? Am I missing something? Directions are not good and pics are impossible to see, small and dark. Oh there is a video for install! Pretty much says put it here bolt on see!! Sucks. I wonder if other winches will fit better but I doubt it as Badlands is pretty common universal sizing in my past experiences. KRX has pre installed conduit for route of winch to battery! NICE! Badlands wires fit but are to short imop. I mounted solenoid contactor under hood on plastic rad shroud. Good spot imop, protected and easy access. Badlands has stupid handlebar switch I am not using. I will install the remote in glove box and purchase a rocker switch later. Also the center hump interior plastics are an issue to remove if ya have heater installed! Hole drilled through them to allow heater hoses/coolant. So ya gots too disconnect and make coolant mess as heater drains or use some clamp/vice grip on hose but room and space is very tight in that region! I did not remove and this is why the conduit is great!! Winch motor seems to fit but only about 1/4" clearance to diff. I have not cycled a arms but I think it will be fine. $200 for Kawa winch mount is money well spent guys, I do not recommend EMP. Sorry EMP I am a fan of ya but this is terrible product. I had to spray paint it all over the place. With 3" flaking I could also see the inferior steel/cast metal.

Reactions: tym2brn
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.