Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Teryx4 LE
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up our ‘18 T4 LE...has stock wheels/tires in good shape at 74 hrs. No plans for lift or suspension at this point.

We will use the machine quite a bit in gravel country roads, and occasionally on TX off-road trails and such (at least that the plan for now).

My thinking is to keep the stock set for off-road riding, and getting an economy set of wheels and tires that I can use for the country roads.

Ideally it would be nice to find a set of take offs, but no luck yet.

Found these rims...

Any other suggestions on wheels/tires for the “road” that will be durable on wear?

I suppose the other option is to keep these for the roads, and get a better set of wheels and tires for off-road.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
379 Posts
I don't run them but have heard good things about the Tusk Terrabite tires for an affordable hardpack/gravel road tire, and they are DOT rated too. A lot of people run them when making a machine street legal because they are cheap compared to many other DOT tires.

·
Registered
2018 Teryx4 LE
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, as I scout out used sets, as long as I go with compatible size and 4/137 bolt pattern, the wheel can be Can Am, Polaris, etc, right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did a Tusk Terrabite 28x10 14r on my 2019 T2 LE. Same size all around so I can rotate to hopefully extend life of tire. Put them on some Tusk beadlocks. Happy so far. Only been on a month but a better ride. My stockers were getting some serious wear on the roads after a very short time.

Attachments

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
379 Posts
Also, as I scout out used sets, as long as I go with compatible size and 4/137 bolt pattern, the wheel can be Can Am, Polaris, etc, right?
You have to make sure it's a 4x137 12mm or it won't fit over the studs.
I believe some of the Kawi Mules, Honda Pioneer 1000's and Maverick X3 are 12mm, not sure about much else.

Reactions: Gkelm

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,480 Posts
Wheels: The Can-Am wheels do have a 4x137 bolt pattern, but the back spacing is different. I have Can-Am wheels on my bike (they are 14x7 bead lock) but I have to run spacers on the front to clear the tie rod end. I run spacers on the back too to put the wheel at maximum width without stick out past the roll cage. Its cheaper to buy wheels with the right backspacing, but I went with what i had. The other bikes you mentioned don't have the right bolt pattern. With the Can-Am wheels I run a 1" space up front and a 2" spacer in the rear.

Tires: As mentioned already, many people like the Tusk Terrabites. I run the Rock-a-Billy's from Sedona. Very similar to the tusk but slightly better on rock. Very good tire for hard pack, rock crawling and moderate mud. The SunF tires you mentioned are a lot better than I would have thought. A friend bought a set for his Prairie because they were similar to the BigHorns I had on my Brute. I laughed at first because they are harder compound and stiffer sidewall, but I must say I have been completely impressed with how well they actually do! The harder compound and stiffer sidewall should make them ideal for on-road use on your Teryx.

One last note, those rims you looked at have 10mm bolt holes for Kawasaki ATV. To make them fit your Teryx, all you need do is take a 1/2" drill bit and "enlarge" the holes. I have both a Teryx and a Brute Force ATV and I have done this to a couple of sets of rims so I can actually run the same wheels and tires on both bikes. The rims are "Hub-Centric", meaning the center hub is what keeps the wheel centered, not the lugs, so enlarging the holes is not a problem.

Welcome to the Forum! Enjoy your bike!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't run them but have heard good things about the Tusk Terrabite tires for an affordable hardpack/gravel road tire, and they are DOT rated too. A lot of people run them when making a machine street legal because they are cheap compared to many other DOT tires.
We have 4 2021 Teryx KRX 1000’s in our rental fleet and we run the Terrabites on 3 of the 4. We also moved to 32 x 10 x 15 tire size to lower some of the rpms at Highway speeds. Have had good luck with them. Tougher sidewalls for sure !! Check with Rocky Mountain ATV & MC for your pricing !!

·
Registered
2018 Teryx4 LE
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VirginiaHawk—very helpful info, thanks man! That opens up some wheel possibilities for sure.

Bob—I actually just placed a RMATVMC order today. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
One last note on running ATV wheels on your TERYX. Get four FRONT wheels or at least four wheels the same size. (y)

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have 4 2021 Teryx KRX 1000’s in our rental fleet and we run the Terrabites on 3 of the 4. We also moved to 32 x 10 x 15 tire size to lower some of the rpms at Highway speeds. Have had good luck with them. Tougher sidewalls for sure !! Check with Rocky Mountain ATV & MC for your pricing !!
Will these 32/10/15's fit without a lift or spacers? I'm wondering how much bigger/taller I can go before rubbing becomes an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
You like the Rock-a-Billy's? Contemplated those before sticking with my Ripsaws.
The Rock-a-Billy's have done very well for me. They provide great hard pack traction, which is mostly what I ride on. They do leave a little to be desired in the mud and snow, but otherwise do really well. I have about 3000 miles on this set and I still have about 50% tread left and that is even considering I also run a lot of pavement between trails. I run 7psi in mine and that seems to be the sweet spot for them. The most amazing thing to me, and it might just be good luck, none of my tires have any plugs in them and they've never been cut on a rock.

I had forgotten about the Ripsaws. I bought a set of those for my ATV before I got the Teryx and I didn't like them. I thought they were too stiff and hard for an ATV and I wasn't impressed with the traction they gave. But I thought even then that they would be far better suited for a heavy SxS than an ATV and I traded them back in. I figured with their hard compound and extra deep tread they would last forever. How many miles do you have on your's and what are your thoughts on them?

·
Registered
2017 Teryx4
393 Posts
I had forgotten about the Ripsaws.
How many miles do you have on your's and what are your thoughts on them?
Long story short, my front end wasn't aligned from the factory and I chewed up the first set of Maxxis and the first set of Ripsaws. We did lots of road riding the first couple years, which I initially blamed on my tread loss. Two sets of front tires lasted me about 3,500-4,000 miles. Fixed all that...

I put new Ripsaws all around again and I've avoided the roads as best as I can. 3,000 plus miles on this set and they look almost new. I like them. After a rain, we could have a top layer of slimy clay to ride on. The Ripsaw will take me everywhere. Their weakness is probably snow but we don't get much snow here. I've only been stuck in mud where I get high centered.

Locust trees, the thorny version, are well represented on our private riding area. My Maxxis tires had numerous plugs. My current set of Ripsaws has 1 plug. Frankly, I don't know what punctured that tire.

My wife would like to do more road riding. I don't want to buy another set of tires...

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Haywire. Truth be told, if your bike is properly aligned, I don't think riding on pavement is any harder on your tires than riding on hard packed dirt is. The trick is that you need to be properly aligned, not unlike your car which can go 60 or 70 thousand miles on pavement before needing tires. Our tires are a softer compound than you car tire, so they will never see that kind of miles no matter what, but just being on pavement I don't think is that big a deal.

·
Registered
2017 Teryx4
393 Posts
if your bike is properly aligned, I don't think riding on pavement is any harder on your tires than riding on hard packed dirt is.
Bingo! We aligned the front even while the old worn out set of Ripsaws were mounted and that stopped the wear. Wish I had made the adjustment earlier.

My FIL is in the process of replacing his original Maxxis on his '13 T4. A bit over 3k miles... I'm thinking I should easily get twice that or more out of the Ripsaws.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts