Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - quick question

Rundown:
Bought an 08 Teryx NRA - starts up fine, idles fine. There's no smoke on start up / idle. When I drive it after about 1-2 minutes, there is a consistent trail of blue smoke (not huge, but enough to see/worry) behind me. I'm going anywhere from 5-15 mph. Since this is the first UTV I've ever owned, I don't know how much heat is normal to be feeling from the center, but it seems kind of hot as well. The guy I bought it from said it had been sitting for a while as well.

What I Have/Haven't Checked:
I haven't done much investigating aside from checking the airbox for oil, which there is none. Checked the dip stick as well, hits the full line. It's been raining so I haven't checked the plugs or anything further.

I don't want to be sporadic and buy a rebuild kit for no reason. Anyone have suggestions of maybe the order of things I should check? I'm no expert on this so I apologize if there's any noob-ish writing in here :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
You pretty much have covered the bases with the first steps, but pulling/inspecting your spark plugs would be next, followed by a compression test. When was the last time the valves were inspected? May be due.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You pretty much have covered the bases with the first steps, but pulling/inspecting your spark plugs would be next, followed by a compression test. When was the last time the valves were inspected? May be due.
Thanks for the advice. I'll do that next. I'm not sure on the valves...when the weather clears up I'll be able to do more. I did check the dipstick today (bought this 2 days ago, rode it maybe 1mi 15mph tops) and it burned quite a bit of oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When you say it burned oil, is that a conclusion from the smoke puffs, or a drop of the oil level in the crankcase? If oil is being consumed, that could be bad bad.

Elsewhere I have been warned against K&N filters. They breathe more, but they also pass on more dirt. Good for competition and performance, but not so good for longevity.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Heat in the center is normal for these rigs; really sucks in the summer, but nice during the winter. There are several threads on people trying to mitigate for the heat/noise on here.

Did you ever pull the spark plugs or check your valves? I was always told that smoke on acceleration was rings, smoke on deceleration was valves. I bring it up because the stock OEM filter (and the K&N filter) were known to pass dirt/dust; OEM’s due to seal failure and K&N’s through the actual filters (Whole threads on it. I am no expert on filters, just passing along the info/debates.). You may have dusted your rings. How much oil was burned off?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very interesting. I run a stock Wix in my 2006 dodge cummins. I am surprised at how fast it plugs and I don't drive off road, just use it to tow my 5th wheel. I've worked on small engines for at least 30 years and the K&N air filter has made me the most money!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts