Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 Teryx4 le with 20 hours on it has a problem with12V accessory outlets are showing 5.4v.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021 TOTM Winner
2020 Teryx4 LE
677 Posts
That's odd. Is the inside of the cig outlet rusty? Or do you have anything connected to the cig power wire like a winch switch? Crusty fuse block? Those are my shot in the dark random internet guesses I have atm.

It shouldn't be too hard to finger out unless you have a half cut wire somewhere that you can't see. I guess rats eating wiring is a thing for some people.
If you don't already have one, here have a service manual. 2016 teryx4 LE - service manual

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Andy. No rust in the sockets. Both front and rear outlets are running low voltage. Not sure if I should tear into this thing or turn it into a warranty thing.

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021 TOTM Winner
2020 Teryx4 LE
677 Posts
Tough call. I hate my local dealer so I would figure it out lol.
I looked up a few schematics, hopefully they aren't blurry..

Edit: They're blurry...But if you're on a confuser, I just right clicked on them, open in new window then I was able to zoom in and they looked less crappy.
Schematic Rectangle Font Parallel Engineering
Rectangle Schematic Font Slope Parallel

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I haven't looked at the diagram but assume both are being fed from the same power source and fuse location. Trace down the wiring and see where the 5 volts starts out, with the easiest probably going back to the fuse itself and see what it reads. On the voltage readings it's usually correct or it's zero especially if there is no load on the circuit, as it's unusual to see something like half voltage. A full wire or one that is half way cut still deliver 12 volts, with the difference being in how many amps it can deliver. For example, both a big 0 gauge battery cable or a little 18 gauge wire going to an LED marker light will both read 12 volts. It's just the amount of load they carry as the battery cable in a truck may be sending 600-700 amps to the starter but the LED marker light only requires 0.5 amps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the inputs. Found the problem a few minutes ago. Lose nut operating tools. Yep twas me all along.
Boneyead award for using a power adapter that had a voltage reducer in line to reduced 12v to 5v.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts