Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a good deal on the msa pilot wheels a while back, they are 4+3 I believe. Funds have replenished and I am thinking either rocktane 28-10-14 or bighorn 30-10-14(as bighorn measures a bit small and rocktane is in the large side I believe?). This machine is 100% stock beside some led light bars so I am wondering if anyone has run the 30" bighorns on this type of wheel? Also the bighorn is a 6ply and rocktane is an 8 ply, t4 is heavy don't know if it matters. I am really leaning towards the bighorn because they wear really well and I do a lot of trail / road but also want a capable tough mud tire as we have a lot of tree roots hiding in the mud up here in canada :) my 10 rzr a had bighorns and they just didn't wear out, also were very capable. I do absolutely no rock climbing so that is not an issue so what direction should I go in ? Rocktane 28s are about $180 cheaper than. 30" bighorns for a set. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had the same dilemma when I was looking and ultimately went with the 28" roctanes because they were so much cheaper and I have no regrets. I think they are both good tires and you will be happy either way. The roctanes are a little heavier because of the 8 ply construction but my 2012 T4 750 turns them easily with no motor or clutch mods. I can still easily hit the 50 mph speed limiter. I also carry a lot of extra weight on my machine so the additional load capacity the roctanes offer gives me a little extra peace of mind because these things are heavy!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Y'all know I'm a big fan of the roctanes, but, my new wildcat came with itp black water evolution tires. I REALLY like them. They are a similar tread pattern to the roctane only the lugs are prolly a lil deeper and the side of the tire says made in USA instead of china........

Reactions: nitzge

·
Registered
219 Posts
If money were not a consideration I would have purchased 30" black water evo's. Theyre are everything I was looking for in a tire. Unfortunately, they're about $60 more each. I carry a matching spare so I decided to save $300 and just get the roctanes. The bw evo look awesome tho. I think they would be an excellent choice.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Another vote for the Roctanes. The first time that we all actually went for a trail ride, we punctured a BH 2.0 so bad that it had to be replaced.

I have put my Roctanes thru the ringer and they still have no plugs or punctures. I have never had to add air to them, except to air up after I deflated them. Lots of asphalt miles and they have hardly any wear

·
Registered
275 Posts
My tanes are beat . Less then 200 miles 1 needs a tube in it. 1 has slime and the other one has plugs and still leaks empty after 3 days. All damage on the sidewalls.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
My tanes are beat . Less then 200 miles 1 needs a tube in it. 1 has slime and the other one has plugs and still leaks empty after 3 days. All damage on the sidewalls.
I have to ask, "WHY?" Mine have been on for 800 miles, and you can ask Foxy, I don't show them any mercy. Granted, I don't run wide open down the rocky trails I ride on, but I ride in some sharp, nasty shale and rocks.

What do you ride in or how is it that yours are toast already?

Just curious....:icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I ride sharp rocks, crushed red bricks, rail roads. T4 4 adults. Heavy load, probably 1000 lbs of people. I .attempted to run them at 10 psi. I'll take some pics. Looks like they peeled at the bead separating rubber layers.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Similar riding, it sounds like. You have a little more load, since I have two children in the back. Weird that you have such problems. Maybe yours were the first run that they had problems with? I got mine this past June. I run about 8psi on the real rough stuff and about 11 around the yard and in town on the asphalt.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Roctane tires are awesome! Get them on beadlock wheels like sti HD5 and you can run them with very low air. I like 7psi in my roctane tires. Sti Customer service is the best!!!

Reactions: ar15a2

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input on this, I went against the grain a bit and ordered the bighorns. I have wanted them in the 30" since they came out lol, it sounds like the rocktanes are an awesome tire also. I ride a lot of gravel roads and blacktop ( time for a pcv and johns clutching I think) and my rzr s had bh on it and they wore so well. I hope I don't regret it but I see that the the 28 and 30s have a little deeper lug than other bighorns so that should help out a bit in muddy situations. I will post how I like them once I get them on.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The original bighorns r a great tire too

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did end up going with the 30" bighorns last fall and just found this thread and thought I would post an update. They work very well with my machine being totally stock, the only thing I did was heat and push the little nub in on the drivers side. I even left my shocks in the stock locations and only rub on the back under full compression .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Clipper how are the bighorns wearing? I rack up a ton of kms here in New Brunswick every year and I hate to get a tire that I will need to replace halfway through the season. I was worried about rubbing issues if i go with a 30" but I have a 2" lift and 1.5" spacers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They rub a little when I am loaded down with 4 adults, on the rear bars. Just enough to take a bit of paint off of the bars. I only have 300 km on them as of right now, a lot of gravel roads and some pavement in there mixed with dirt trails. They still look like new yet. The 30" have a deeper lug then the regular og bighorn tires too so that helps a bit with the wear you will be putting on them. I think they will wear really well, I have buddies with rzrs that have 5000 miles on theirs and they are showing some pretty good wear now but that's a lot of miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ok thanks for the info! Mine is a T2 so now worries of passengers weighing me down. I put over 7000 kms on last year so I do a lot of riding. I'm just worried that the 6 ply bighorns won't be as tough as my 8 ply black waters were

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.