Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Teryx FI and the fuel pump is bad but do not want to pay 450+ for a replacement when all i need is the fuel pump. I see muzzy has a fuel tank adapter. Has anyone tried this and what fuel pump did you use and where did you locate it. Pics would be ideal but just part numbers would be a great help. I see few thread with people looking for just the pump not the assembly with no luck. I have looked and i cant find any either. Does not make sense to no sell the fuel pump seperate that the assembly. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Pump

Muzzy sells the pump with some of their kits so you might try them. I have one for my 916 but not sure of the brand. You'll need to put a pressure regulator in the fuel line since the stock pump is self regulated if you go with an aftermarket pump.

The stock assy is just that, the whole pump, filter, housing etc. The pump is only a really small piece of the whole assy. The is a similar system used on every other FI machine they make. For every model they are sold as assy's. I have never seen one go bad to be honest with you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
they go out alot....im searching for a cheaper way myself

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just replaced one on a 2008 Bute Force. So its stateing to be a regular occurance on the FI it seems

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just replaced one on a 2008 Bute Force. So its stateing to be a regular occurance on the FI it seems

yep...kawi fuel pumps suck

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
What's the trick...my assembly breaks often but I have extended warranty so they take care of it... but for future id like to know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My English is not so good but i`ll give it a try.
You have to take apart the whole fuel pump assembly. You`ll get 4 plastic pieces. With upper part you don`t have to do a thing, but the second one which is welded together (you`ll see the melted plastic around it) so that`s is the guilty part of the whole assembly.
You can check that second filter, try to blow air with your mouth.... you`ll feel that the filter is clogged.
From bottom there is a 3mm inlet hole and you have to reach in with a thin curved sharp nail and destroy as much as you can the metal filter, but a few (3-4) holes will do it. You can`t see the filter because is parallel with the inlet hole`s direction, that`s why you need the curved nail. After that blow it with compressed air if some ripped metal filter piece remained there that will enter in to the fuel pressure regulator.
Next take it out the pressure regulator and blow with air. Be careful with O rings. Pull down the first filter and take out the fuel pump, check the filter and the fuel pump inlet hole. Dry it out the filter and hit it a few times with a pencil ... you`ll see some dust will come out, then use compressed air, then wash it with break cleaner, then compressed air.
Then start to put together ( O rings O rings!!!!!!) Another trick is that you need to apply silicone to the O rings because once it`s taken apart the plastic wont hold it right, but maybe yes.... so a small amount of silicone to every O rings. Careful, not to enter silicone to inner side of O rings because may enter in to the pressure regulator as you ripped the second metal screen filter.
As you put it together wait until the silicone dries. Then install to the tank , remove the original fuel line, buy 1.2meter fuel hose with 6mm inner diameter, buy a a little inline automotive fuel filter, install somewhere where you have space and go!
You can check the fuel flow before and after. minimum 1.7 oz ( 50ml/3sec).
Before mine was 6.5ml/3sec, after 85ml/3sec.
Change fuel filter at every second oil change.

After you`r done try to blow with your mouth to the outlet pipe on top of the assambly and listen/feel if there is a pressure loss. If you applied silicon there should not be a problem.

Upload pictures
Upload pictures
Upload pictures
Upload pictures

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
If u can find a fuel pump assembly out of a suzuki gsx 750 motorcycle and get the pump assembly for xheap u can take it apart and get the actual pump out of it and put in ur assembly and punch out the small metal filter/sceen at the top of your assembly close to the regulator and u will be good to go.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

·
mobster38
17 Posts
negative0001 knows what he is talking about i did what he said bingo fixed mine i didnt cut the welded peice apart and i took a small set of allen wrenches used the smallest one bent the end and used it gives you something to hold on to thanks again negative0001:pepper1:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just put in a new filter old one was filthy can anyone tell me how to install a inline automotive filter. The fuel line is very small and feels hard or maybe has braided type line which may not be able to clamp to don't want to screw up a fuel line and have to pay Kawi a bunch of money for one. Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
My English is not so good but i`ll give it a try.
You have to take apart the whole fuel pump assembly. You`ll get 4 plastic pieces. With upper part you don`t have to do a thing, but the second one which is welded together (you`ll see the melted plastic around it) so that`s is the guilty part of the whole assembly.
You can check that second filter, try to blow air with your mouth.... you`ll feel that the filter is clogged.
From bottom there is a 3mm inlet hole and you have to reach in with a thin curved sharp nail and destroy as much as you can the metal filter, but a few (3-4) holes will do it. You can`t see the filter because is parallel with the inlet hole`s direction, that`s why you need the curved nail. After that blow it with compressed air if some ripped metal filter piece remained there that will enter in to the fuel pressure regulator.
Next take it out the pressure regulator and blow with air. Be careful with O rings. Pull down the first filter and take out the fuel pump, check the filter and the fuel pump inlet hole. Dry it out the filter and hit it a few times with a pencil ... you`ll see some dust will come out, then use compressed air, then wash it with break cleaner, then compressed air.
Then start to put together ( O rings O rings!!!!!!) Another trick is that you need to apply silicone to the O rings because once it`s taken apart the plastic wont hold it right, but maybe yes.... so a small amount of silicone to every O rings. Careful, not to enter silicone to inner side of O rings because may enter in to the pressure regulator as you ripped the second metal screen filter.
As you put it together wait until the silicone dries. Then install to the tank , remove the original fuel line, buy 1.2meter fuel hose with 6mm inner diameter, buy a a little inline automotive fuel filter, install somewhere where you have space and go!
You can check the fuel flow before and after. minimum 1.7 oz ( 50ml/3sec).
Before mine was 6.5ml/3sec, after 85ml/3sec.
Change fuel filter at every second oil change.

After you`r done try to blow with your mouth to the outlet pipe on top of the assambly and listen/feel if there is a pressure loss. If you applied silicon there should not be a problem.

Upload pictures
Upload pictures
Upload pictures
Upload pictures
I just want to say you are the best I've been pulling on my hair for over a week trying to figure out what is going on I put in a new fuel pump and everything and still had the same problem then I read your post and it solved all my headaches I love you so much I could kiss you right now thank you so much

1 - 14 of 14 Posts