Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the new 2009 Teryx is fuel injected after all! Just to be clear, the certification for the 2009 model with a carburetor was out a few months ago. But as of today, they are now listing it as SFI (sequential MFI) on CARB. In addition, looks like there is a new model coming out called a Sport. So you'll have the base 4x4, the LE, the Sport, and the Outdoors models to choose from.

The dealer show is in about 2 1/2 weeks so more info should be available very soon!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea. Just posted what models they have listed and Sport is a new one never seen before. It does have the same HP as the other models though, which is about .4 hp more than the carburetor version.

Maybe this new Sport is Kawis response to the Polaris RZR S or the Cat XTZ?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
:yahoo:
Fuel injection, sport model and hopefully in Kawi Green.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm happy that the new Teryx is Injected but at the same time I'm not real thrilled about Kawasaki making my less than one year old side by side outdated.

·
Team Incognito ******
14 Posts
Yamaha basically did the same thing, the 05-07 are similar, but not completely compatible, and also going to a 700 motor, leaving a bunch of us in the dark, not the same, but similar

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
The CARB document also lists the 2009 Teryx as having two 3 way catalysts. So, a plus for the EFI and a negative for the catalysts in regards to performance.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
How does a 3 way catalysts hurt performance??? What does it do?

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Catalyst is short for catalytic convertor. They are usually a honey comb like block of material coated with various precious metals like Platinum. When the exhaust flows through the catalyst, a chemical reaction takes place converting some of the exhaust emissions to harmless byproducts. Notice I said flow through, this is inline in the exhaust system and is a restriction, especially for modified engines. Many new motorcycles now have catalysts as standard equipment.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Thanks for the info Chris.
So would an aftermarket exhaust such as a Muzzy eliminate it (for race use only:icon_rolleyes:)? I heard the Kawi EFI registers its settings before combustion not after.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Once they have gone this far they may as well add a couple of O2 sensors to the mix as well.I am sure that will be the next step in atv and utv fuel injection systems.It's just a matter of who will be the first to bring it to market.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts