Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just signed up on here for my dad because he's having trouble with his Teryx. Just this winter it has started loosing antifreeze and oil all at the same time. The bike runs fine but he has to add antifreeze and oil weekly. Anybody had this happen before? Possible head gaskets need replacing? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Sounds like a head gasket...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's really what I think too. Anybody have a service manual for a 2009? I'd like to change it myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No smoke?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
No but I forgot to mention that it is spitting oil out the exhaust. Had a trailer hooked to it for firewood and when reached down to unhook it, it was oil all over the toung right under the exhaust.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Oil is not overfull is it? If you overfill, it will puke oil into the plenum. It will smoke though a whitish blueish color. Coolant smoke will be cottony white. Have you made sure it is not overheating? If it runs warm it will leak out of the overflow. If it were a head gasket I would think it would smoke unless it is leaking to the outside of the cylinder instead of in the cylinder. Have you taken the engine cover off and checked for leaks?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not but will check for leaks this weekend. Also it has overheated occasionally since all of this started it will get hot and boil all the coolant out. We thought it was due to a pluged radiator. Clean it out after riding in some thick red mud and no more overheating untill in the mud again.

Oil is not overfill either we watch it close and often times it will not even be on the dipstick.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
How many miles? Mud on the radiator will make it overheat like crazy. You have to clean it religiously and thoroughly. Water hose won't get it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I know about the mud but maybe I can get the fan shroud off and double check it this weekend. 2800 miles

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can get ahold of one. What should it be? What will I be able to determine? I do all of the maintenance on the bike as well as a Commander but never done any real work on an engine. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
I can get ahold of one. What should it be? What will I be able to determine? I do all of the maintenance on the bike as well as a Commander but never done any real work on an engine. Thanks for all the help.
You will be checking the condition of your rings. Not sure of the acceptable range but I think it is 30something to 60 something. Warm up engine. Shut off, hook up compression gauge, hold throttle wide open and crank over until gauge stops rising. Should be within acceptable range. If it isn't squirt oil in the cylinder(not a bunch just enough to seal the rings. Repeat above steps and see if compression rises. If it does you have worn rings. If it doesn't you have valve or head gasket issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks gonna pull it apart this weekend and see what I can figure out.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Also look at the front and rear output shaft seals, they are well known for leaking. That would explain the lose of oil without smoke. As for the coolant GTGF said it best keep the radiator clean, I always spray mine out and have never had an issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well im at a loss right now. Pulled everything apart yesterday afternoon and did not find any major leaks. Just wet spots around the "freeze plugs" on the side of each cylinder head. (antifreeze) Ran the compression test today and found the compression to be high. One head tested 74psi and the other 85psi. I got the specs from a 2008 service manual and it says it should be between 36 and 66 psi?? Cant find a 2009 manual. Any thoughts on what my problem is? Its loosing oil and coolant.

·
Zippo Nadda Racing
6 Posts
Any black flakes floating around in the coolant? Head gasket material or it could be the coatings they used on the metal cooling lines between the engine and radiator.

The 08/09's had cooling issues under heavy loads which is why Kawi redesigned the cooling system in the 2010 and newer years.

When I added the 840 bigbore kit, I blew the head gaskets first trip out at the dunes. And that with with a CSR radiator and fan. What ultimately resolved my overheat issues was installing the 2010 cooling upgrade kit. Larger diameter cooling lines, and pump housing. I added a muzzy impeller too. I kept the CSR radiator, just changed to the larger hose connection. Huge difference!

Anyway, I blew the gaskets without any signs of smoke white or blue at all. Oil consumption was small but I did notice a loss in level, and of course the coolant was boiling over. Compression testing was inconclusive. Removing heads, obvious gasket failures.

Had to machine the heads, install new gaskets and back in business. Fortunately I caught the overheat problem before I blew them up again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info! We have been running the bike and just keeping an eye on the fluids. Like you said it's not a lot of usage but the oil and antifreeze is going somewhere. I'm just gonna keep watching it and once it gets a little worse I will pull it apart and fix the problem

1 - 20 of 22 Posts