Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the group......have read lots of posts over the years to help fix my ride so thought I'd better join in on the fun

anyway, replaced a rear cv boot over the weekend and axle goes back into the diff nicely but when I try to line the swing arms back up into the knuckle or axle hub the bolt holes are not lining up......I need about 3/16 to get my bolts in. the axle just seems to be bottoming out somewhere and won't budge.......

took axle out, opened up the inner CV, replaced all the grease, everything is good. Axle is all the way into the diff as there is little space between the CV housing and the diff

really frustrated......are the swing arms and hub that tight to get back in? swing arms at frame are loose.....spent all weekend on what should be a couple hour job. am I missing something.....or do I just need to find a stronger neighbour??

thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Are you sure you got the CV joint back together correctly? I just changed axles on my 08 this weekend and everything went back together very easily. Yours should to. Sounds like your axle is longer than it should be , not letting everything go back together. Did you just replace the CV boot or the entire CV joint?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks foxy......Yeah I didn't do anything fancy. My outer boot was torn so I removed the axle (took a bit to release the hub from the swing arms) and needed to pound a skinnier bolt through to get the bolts out so there was some tightness in it all. Anyway, removed the axle, cut open the boot, popped the cv out, cleaned re-greased put a new boot on and good to go......put the axle back in and having a bitch of a time lining the swing arms back into place on the hub.

I can just see the holes but if I try hammering you can hear the axle bottoming out and hitting something hard. Like I said the inner cv is all the way into the diff.

So I thought something was wrong with the inner cv, popped the axle out again, removed and kept the cv bands, slid the boot back and inspected the inner cv, everything looks good, released the big c clip, removed the balls, cleaned everything, re-greased, slid the boot back on, the inner cv moves freely in its housing....put the axle back in and it's doing the same thing

Tried straps to pull the knuckle in, loosened the swing arms, have tried moving arms up and down but no matter the pivot point the holes don't line up. The bike is out at our cabin 3 hrs away so hopefully with some pry bars and strong screw drivers I can suck the swing arms back into the frame next weekend to get a bolt on......it's strange b/c I didn't change anything.....it's almost like the diff has moved which must be impossible.

Funny thing is I can't even load it to get to a shop.....ha ha. I must not have drank enough beer on the weekend

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Did you put a spacer on the wrong side of the wheel bearing. There is about a 3/16 +/- spacer that goes on the axle before the actual hub goes on.once the knuckle is on. If you put it on the inside of the knuckle instead of outside that could be your problem . In that case maybe a few to many beers was involved. Lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear you, I thought of that too.......no the spacer is still off and sitting by the wheel hub. I think I just need to reef on it a bit more. Called one of the local shops in town and he figures it's just a bit tight. Strange to me it would be that tight but I'll have to find some pry bars that will help in the manipulation process.........or run a longer strap to the other side to get some pulling leverage. Hate to go to these measures

·
Registered
396 Posts
You can try unbolting an a-arm and getting the knuckle together. It may be easier to line up the arm than to fight the knuckle. Sometimes you just have to attack it from a different angle. It may even help to just unbolt the shock and move the arms to a different angle.Good luck!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Sounds like an issue i helar putting on my satv lift and it did the same thing when i had to adjust my camber. It ended up being a broken cage of the inner cvt. I pulled it out a couple times and it finally fell apart. Hop that helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
are you certain you don't have the knuckle upside down?

if it is right side up, unbolt your shock and see if you still have bottoming issues with the axle.. with no shock on there the a arm should bolt up like butter. once its bolted up move the arm through its entire range of motion and make sure there is no binding

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got this sorted out last weekend. After struggling with pry bars and ratchet straps I succumbed to something being way more wrong than I thought. Pulled the axle out again and the outside CV was just hanging by the boot......wtf? Open it up and I see that I had damaged my c clip where the CV slips onto the spline of the axle......that was the issue, I never got the clip on properly so it was getting jammed internally and the CV wasn't run all the way in to release the c-clip.......bad, very bad

So not feeling too good about my self, managed to save the threads and the c-clip, greased everything back up......GOT THE CV IN PROPERLY after some light taps to the housing and she popped in. good to go.

Put the axle back in and there was tons of room to spare and the knuckle floats in and out nicely, lots of room to hook the knuckle up to the swing arms.

Feel really stupid for letting that happen but, got it fixed in the end. Thanks to Renegade Motoworks in Invermere, BC for free CV boot straps........Mike is awesome.

Now onto some eagle eye LED lights this weekend, oil change, waiting for the snow to melt to get playing

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Good deal

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Hey man happens to best of us. Just be happy you was able to find out what I was wrong and fix it yourself. Glad we could help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts