Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just finished installing a 90w lightbar on my machine and I'm wondering if I may have overdone it on the stock stator. I've been out a few times and I haven't notice anything funky but I don't want to risk running my battery flat and getting stuck.

I haven't really found any clear information online about what the exact specifications are and what room I have available to add accessories.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
425 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about it. A winch draws more. The only time I've had an issue with killing a battery while driving was on a 99 Grizzly. The headlights fell off and I had a last minute night ride planned so strapped one of these https://www.truepowertools.com/prod...eable-portable-spotlight?variant=5353585091to the rack and plugged it in. It'd go dim when I let off the throttle, when I'd shut it off I'd have to pull start it as the battery was dead.
If in doubt you could pick up a volt gauge that plugs into the cig outlet. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0811PHW8S/ref=dp_cerb_2

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
A 90W light bar should only draw around 7 amps. Yes, as winch draws more........a LOT more....... but you typically don't run a winch for more than a few minutes at a time. Guarantee that if you bury a Teryx in deep mud and start using the winch you will have to stop every couple minutes and let the battery recharge or you will kill the machine. For example my Superwinch 4500 states it will pull 178 amps at full pull (meaning the winch is stalled out), however you are also rarely ever at full pull or amp draw on a winch. A quick way to check out how the system will handle the 90 watt light bar is to start the machine, turn on the light bar, and put a multi-meter on the battery and see what the voltage does. If the voltage starts continuously dropping that means the light bar is pulling more power than what the stator can put out. Also keep in mind that as you rev the engine the stator puts our more. Peform the above test with the engine at idle, then let the battery charge back and repeat the test with somebody applying some throttle to the engine and see what the voltage does.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts