Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 T four seater will not idle but will run. It is sluggish. I took it for a short ride and the exhaust system caught the axle boots, cargo and rear console on fire. I noticed the fire underneath after I started to turn around and got off of the side by side and realized there were flames underneath. I have already ordered two axles, cargo and cover rr console. How can I repair the idling problem and has anyone else experienced this situation? I checked the the spark arrestor which was clean and beat on the muffler with a rubber mallet and nothing came out. I don’t know why the exhaust system became so hot either. Help!

·
Jan & Jun 2021 TOTM Winner
548 Posts
Exhaust's do get hot. The only time I came close to a fire was when I had a ton of mud and grass all over my exhaust on my rzr. Pulled over for a break and could see smoldering crap all over the exhaust. Easy way to start a forest fire.

I'm having a hard time imaging how cv boots and the console managed to burn from the exhaust. Do you have tons of exhaust leaks or never wash the thing?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The issues you describe are generally caused by either poor spark or inadequate fuel. With the condition described the first thing I would look at is the spark plugs. Have you every changed them? One dead spark plug (or loose connections, bad coil, etc...that causes no spark) can cause hard starting, not wanting to idle, rough running, and poor performance.

For the fuel delivery there will probably be tons of people jump on here and start talking about partially plugged fuel filters and bad fuel pumps. Generally a partially plugged fuel filter will allow the machine to start and idle fine, but just have a lack of power on the upper end. If it's bad enough you could see the conditions listed above.

While I don't like throwing random parts and money at a machine hoping I get lucky and fix the problem, changing the fuel filter is about as cheap and easy as you can get and should be considered routine maintenance. New spark plugs are pretty cheap also and should be regular maintenance, and really not hard to do just a little time consuming on the Teryx because you have to tear the center console apart to get to them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exhaust's do get hot. The only time I came close to a fire was when I had a ton of mud and grass all over my exhaust on my rzr. Pulled over for a break and could see smoldering crap all over the exhaust. Easy way to start a forest fire.

I'm having a hard time imaging how cv boots and the console managed to burn from the exhaust. Do you have tons of exhaust leaks or never wash the thing?

Thanks for the info. The side by side was spotless. No mud or debris was present. Don’t have any exhaust leaks. I believe when the exhaust system got hot, the burning plastic fell on the the cv boots and caught fire.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The issues you describe are generally caused by either poor spark or inadequate fuel. With the condition described the first thing I would look at is the spark plugs. Have you every changed them? One dead spark plug (or loose connections, bad coil, etc...that causes no spark) can cause hard starting, not wanting to idle, rough running, and poor performance.

For the fuel delivery there will probably be tons of people jump on here and start talking about partially plugged fuel filters and bad fuel pumps. Generally a partially plugged fuel filter will allow the machine to start and idle fine, but just have a lack of power on the upper end. If it's bad enough you could see the conditions listed above.

While I don't like throwing random parts and money at a machine hoping I get lucky and fix the problem, changing the fuel filter is about as cheap and easy as you can get and should be considered routine maintenance. New spark plugs are pretty cheap also and should be regular maintenance, and really not hard to do just a little time consuming on the Teryx because you have to tear the center console apart to get to them.
Agree. Sounds like spark issue pumping fuel into the exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Jan & Jun 2021 TOTM Winner
548 Posts
Spark plugs, didn't see that one coming :LOL:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts