Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last time that we had the T4 out there were several times where the temp light came on and we had to stop and let it idle until the light went out. It seems like it was overheating more on the high speed driving, as there were rocky sections that we traversed with no issues. I don't think that the radiator was plugged with mud, although the fins did have a coating of mud on them from running through some deep puddles of dirty water. The radiator is full, as well as the overflow tank.

Any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
do you hear the fan kicking in?

Clean the fins regardless, can only help.

·
Registered
563 Posts
It happened to me only once when radiator was clogged up by mud on a 80deg night. Once mud was washed away, issue went away.

Make sure spark arrestor is not clogged up. Too much back pressure under high load may cause engine overheating.

Service manual recommends to replace antifreeze every 2 years. My 2014 Teryx4 is due for this service because it was built on 8/2013. Your unit may also be due for it. If I were you, I would replace antifreeze and if issue still occurs, then have the service department troubleshoot the issue. You may take a short video showing the issue and it could be presented to service department and Kawasaki tech support.

Let us know what the root cause of the issue was.

·
Administrator
4,271 Posts
Any mods like an exhaust system or programmer?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No mods. One other thing that might be relevant: The ride before I swamped it. I changed the fluids right away, but it was a couple of weeks before I was able to run it for a while and get it good and warmed up (There was rusty water coming out the tailpipe from the muffler packing). Is it possible that the cat could be plugged up?

·
Administrator
4,271 Posts
I'm inclined to think you're overheating issue is somehow related to the swamping. Definitely get into the exhaust and clean the spark arrestor and cat, if mud got that far. It may be difficult to the clean the cat though. I would probably cut it off if it's plugged up.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
The radiator is one of the hardest parts to clean. It may look clean but mud and dirt will pack in between the fins and u cant tell it. I've takin the grill off to clean mine before especially after a mud ride. U need a small jet and good pressure to loosen and blow that gunk out. Also I would not recommend a pressure washer as u can bend the fins closed. With care u can but be careful.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have the same problem on a regular basis. I use castrol purple cleaner. And a hose with spray nozzle. It may look clean but trust me it's not. It will take two maybe four good cleanings before it's really clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2wheels

·
Registered
176 Posts
The radiator is one of the hardest parts to clean. It may look clean but mud and dirt will pack in between the fins and u cant tell it. I've takin the grill off to clean mine before especially after a mud ride. U need a small jet and good pressure to loosen and blow that gunk out. Also I would not recommend a pressure washer as u can bend the fins closed. With care u can but be careful.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
I use an air compressor with an air chuck.....works great for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts