Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new rider, and just purchased a 2014 Teryx 2 Seater, and with the options I am adding, Frog Head Sound Bar, Warn 4500 Winch, and 2 42W LED Spot Lights, that I may need a better battery.

My question is that I see a lot of threads talking about the 4 Seater, and I am sure there is little to no difference between the two, but just want to make sure before I purchase anything.

What Batteries can be placed in the OE spot, I know I will have to get a new hold down, but that is not a big concern once I know the right battery.

I plan to also install a second battery in the next few weeks, but for time being might take a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Same machine and am in the middle of doing a duel system.

Odyssey 925 + Odyssey 925L (so + and - are on the same side)
FuelATV Odyssey 925 Duel Battery Mount in the factory location - he also sells a single battery version
Aux Battery is on the passenger side made wiring House cables easier for me.

I'm using a Blue Sea Systems ML-ACR 12V DC 500A Automatic Charging Relay with Manual Control but there are other options too.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
phillyd2 thanks for the advice, I had never heard of Odyssey Batteries, and I am in the auto repair business, so I was unsure of their quality, most of my customers that have off road vehicles use Optima Batteries.

Plus I can get them through my local parts store and get a discount.

At this point I am thinking that I may run one Odyssey under the hood and two Optima Batteries under the seat under the seat, if I can swing it.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts

FuelATV Odyssey 925 Duel Battery Mount in the factory location - he also sells a single battery version

I'm using a Blue Sea Systems ML-ACR 12V DC 500A Automatic Charging Relay with Manual Control but there are other options too.
perfect advise. look no further.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
optima you will always need to keep on a charger as the teryx charging system cannot fully charge them. fyi

·
Registered
252 Posts
At this point I am thinking that I may run one Odyssey under the hood and two Optima Batteries under the seat under the seat, if I can swing it.
Way overkill for these things. While I'm usually a big fan of overkill the stock system will not keep them charged. Just Two Optima Batteries is a bit of overkill too but would be more than enough. I did it because I do a lot of plowing and winching.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I usually do things in overkill.

I knew that the Optimas would never charge off the Teryx system, and when parked would need charged which is not a big deal for me, but I may go with the Odysseys for the moment and add one Optima later under the seat for emergencies, depending on how the Odysseys do.

So the question now is do you order the batteries offline? If so how does warranty work? As I think there is only one place within 30 miles that sales the Odyssey Batteries.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know what you mean, as I use it all the time, and I like the Relay you are using. So I am going to bite the bullet and order it all today.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well got the dual battery system installed.

For those that are doing the FuelATV system you will need a 12mm socket and wrench to remove the old hold down and 10mm to remove the bolts holding the cable.

Once you get the old one removed you will now need a 13mm socket and wrench to install the new battery tray. Once you get the tray tightened down you will need a 10mm to attach the top bracket.

Now the debate is what combination of batteries to use. I went with a 925 and 925L as this puts the Positive post on the same side. Just makes for a neater wiring job in my opinion.

The last picture is my Automatic Switch for charging the batteries and my fuse block.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
412 Posts

we sell the new blue sea mini ACR and switch its rated at 65 amps and in a little smaller package ...easier to mount, great product!!!!!

·
Vendor
1,121 Posts
I simply left the OEM battery in it's location and added a blue top Optima under the drivers seat. Ran the ground direct to the motor and the positive direct to the 12v+ buss bar I mounted under the hood.

I can play the stereo for ~8 hours at a modest level and not have an issue starting it up.

Main thing that helped the charging system is BETTER GROUND distribution. Ground everything you can!! especially the motor.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just got a new Teryx4 2014 and have similar issue about getting a winch and a 30 inch light bar. Thought about getting the dual battery tray and the Odyssey 925. Just wondering why I couldn't use the stock battery as the second battery. Is there anything wrong with that? Is the battery worth saving or should I just get a second battery. I don't want to be stranded miles away from my vehicle or camp.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@scuba2do

The stock battery would not work with the dual tray, as the batteries lay on there sides, odyssey batteries are made to be mounted in any position except inverted.

Plus there is a size difference I believe as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
So Mountain main you have the 925 and 925 L batteries in the dual tray. Are they on their side because they are too tall? If so how do you bolt them to the tray? Saw somebody mention getting a metal bar and bolts from auto zone.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In a previous post in this discussion are the pictures of the tray installed with batteries.

The tray that FuelATV makes replaces the factory with a hold down, and they fit on there side one facing out on drover side and one on the passenger side.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Will one Odyssey battery suffice for now based upon my electrical usage? Tuff Stuff 30 inch light bar used occasionally at night
and a super winch Amazon.com: Superwinch 1145230 Terra 45 4500lbs/2046kg single line pull with hawse, handlebar mnt toggle, handheld remote, and synthetic rope: Automotive
I doubt I will be adding a stereo to the unit since I probably won't be able to hear it :) . Just bought the Teryx4 along with all the riding gear for myself and family, trailer, etc. Trying to keep from bleeding anymore money for now. Just don't know if a 2 battery system is necessary if I just upgrade the one and trickle charge it at night if necessary. Thanks for the assistance.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My experience with the system so far with my dual system, is that I was able to listen to the radio for about 6 hours, run the extra LED's I have while driving, and just now had to charge it. As I have not yet connected the wires to the switch for the batteries.

So with my experience I would say that you should be okay if you trickle charge at night, to save from spending any funds. If you get the mount I am unsure about the battery staying secure, as it has a top bracket but uses the two batteries to keep from sliding around.

Depending on how much you are going to have accessories on while not running the teryx. If it is going to be little to no time then I would say just leave stock battery in and save to do the job all at one time, to save hassle.

If you are not going to add a stereo, then I would say then get one battery be it Odyssey or Optima and mount under the seat for accessories, and just trickle charge at night, would save money, doing it that way.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well Mountain Man I ordered the Odyssey 925L and a Blue Sea systems fuse block to have future and current expandability. I have heard of some folks saying that the Odyssey will fit on the current battery position but the top strap may not work. Could get another strap from auto zone or put a ratchet strap on it to snug it down. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes it will hit in the factory position as it is actually smaller than the factory battery, and I am sure that you can secure it with either an aftermarket hold down with a little work, or just wrap a ratchet strap and tighten it down that way, just be sure to check during breaks after rough terrain.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts