Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Teryx 800. I want to disable the engine brake but low and behold its no longer a mechanical brake on the clutch like the old ones on the Brutes and old Teryx models. Anyone know what/where it is now and how I can remove/disable it? I do a lot of slow speed crawling around and the engine brake is driving me nuts!

·
Registered
563 Posts
My understanding is that one-way wet clutch bearing plays role in engine braking. By removing an engine braking feature I would expect extra wear on brake pads and wet brake in rear diff. I do a lot of rock crawling at slow speeds and love an engine braking feature. I do not recommend removing it. If you really want to remove it, contact a shop that specializes in teryx clutch upgrades, they would be able to provide a correct way to do it.
From engineering point of view, one way bearing appears to provide support for wet clutch drum. So, removal of one-way bearing may destroy wet clutch drum ball bearing and drum itself. If one-way bearing was to be replaced with a ball bearing, it might have done the trick with removal of engine braking without sacrificing support of the wet clutch drum. Good luck.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Messenger why do you want to disable engine braking, is it the herky jerky from your foot bouncing on decell, if so try the throttlemax pedal you can order online it helps that so much. If not that I 'm curious as to why myself.

Reactions: FOXY

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ks for the replies. A couple of reasons for wanting to disable it, the least of which is personal preference, the more important is my wife gets carsick trying to use it for pulling a small implement. The slow sped is too hard to moderate and it becomes "jerky"

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Throttle max will help a bunch with the jerkiness you are getting

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rwnolan

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yea get a Throttlemax and takes 5 mins to install. The biggest learning curve with this pedal is to make sure to keep heel of foot off pedal and on reg floor and use toes to mash pedal to floor like pedal extension is on floor makes it so much more relaxing and easier to do evenly or softer. Hope this makes sense to you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wonder if a hand throttle / cruise control would help your wife out?
Would be really easy to keep it set at 1/4 throttle or whatever, for a constant speed. Not so great if she needs to stop and start often though, it'd be better for longer distance.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
You may get some pointers here, should be fairly similar to the older Teryx.

http://www.teryxforums.net/how/20594-kebc-delete.html
Not similar to the KBEC at all. KEBC was a servo controlled by the ECU that engaged the primary clutch to put tension on the drive belt. Current Teryx engine brake is purely mechanical, involving a one-way bearing on the centrifugal clutch shaft. I personally would not want to remove it for low speed crawling/climbing, At my very short "rock crawling class" at Moab, I was taught to use the brake and throttle simultaneously which as a side effect, seems to take a lot of the slop, jerkiness out of the driveline.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I looked. It appears to be a sprag clutch. Part #13194-0555. It sits in the wet clutch inside the tranny. That said, it would be possible to remove it, or maybe disable it. Worst case, you'd need two hardened spacers, best case, you could just remove it.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
It uses dogbones where the rollers would be and it is not meant to support a shaft. But I think you could replace it with a roller bearing instead of spacers. That would probably be easier and cheaper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts