Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search first before posting this but did not find much on a 2016 and up T2 chop, only found one with one pic. I am in the middle of ordering an enclosed trailer that will have an extended roof height of 84" but the door opening will only be 79" and my highest point on my roof is 79 1/2" therefore I am looking to chop the rear pillars 3 to 4 inches and the centers whatever it needs.
Is there any special instructions for chopping the 2016 T2 or pretty straight forward? Where is the best location for making the cuts on the rear and center pillars? What size pipe to use for the sleeves to fit inside the roll cage tubing?
Any pics would greatly be appreciated
A bit off my own topic but the trailer I am ordering only comes in 7' wide (78" inside width) and my sxs is 63" wide, is that enough room to get out of the rig and scoot by it? lol
Thanks in advance :)

· Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,716 Posts
I also have a 2016 T2 and want to do the same but I've never been brave enough to do it. I'm going to follow this thread though for inspiration :cool:

· Registered
1,470 Posts
For the C-pillar (rear) I would cut somewhere along that straight section where your finger is. Might suggest cutting it a littler higher up so it is above the plastic body line. It would be much easier to cut and weld by having full access around the tube and not against the body panels. For the B pillar (middle) I would cut the tube at the very top off of the bracket, trim the tube, and weld directly back to the bracket.
1.75" HREW or DOM tubing (1.75" outside diameter) that is commonly used for race car or off-road rig roll cages and bumpers fits perfectly inside the factory tubing. Call around to any metal shops or race car or off-road shops and see if they have any drops laying around. I had the sleeves as long as possible inside the factory tubes, then drilled holes and plug welded them on top of just welding where the cut was. Were you butt the two pieces of the factory tube together make sure to leave a little gap so you can see the sleeve under it. When you weld it you want to also get penetration from the factory tube to the sleeve.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the C-pillar (rear) I would cut somewhere along that straight section where your finger is. Might suggest cutting it a littler higher up so it is above the plastic body line. It would be much easier to cut and weld by having full access around the tube and not against the body panels. For the B pillar (middle) I would cut the tube at the very top off of the bracket, trim the tube, and weld directly back to the bracket.
1.75" HREW or DOM tubing (1.75" outside diameter) that is commonly used for race car or off-road rig roll cages and bumpers fits perfectly inside the factory tubing. Call around to any metal shops or race car or off-road shops and see if they have any drops laying around. I had the sleeves as long as possible inside the factory tubes, then drilled holes and plug welded them on top of just welding where the cut was. Were you butt the two pieces of the factory tube together make sure to leave a little gap so you can see the sleeve under it. When you weld it you want
Thanks for this detailed info 6.2Blazer! I replied earlier but maybe I didnt hit "post reply", lol! Anyway, I will cut them where you suggested, "C", just below the bend and "B" where mounted to the bracket and to which I will measure after cutting and repositioning that "C" pillar. Is it necessary to disconnect the battery when welding on the machine? Thanks once again, much appreciated :) Oh and I am a bit confused on the pipe insert size, you mentioned 1.75 outside diameter, isnt the pipe it is going into 1.75 outside diameter? I didnt measure but when I bought the windshield it said that it fit 1.75" roll bars. Thanks!!!

· Registered
1,470 Posts
In regards to the cut location on the C pillar to cut, just make sure you are far enough below the bend so you have at least a couple inches of straight section to insert the sleeve up into.

You can verify the diameter of the factory tube but on my '15 and from all the responses I have seen the outer diameter is bigger. Mine is probably around 1.8" OD and pretty thin wall....I know that 1.75" OD tubing slips right in. I used 0.090" wall and that was quite a bit thicker than factory. 0.120" wall is pretty common when building custom cages on fullsize vehicles, so figure 0.090" was plenty thick. I actually replaced my entire A pillar with the 1.75" 0.090" wall tubing after I kinked both sides on trees and roots.

· Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
651 Posts
You can verify the diameter of the factory tube but on my '15 and from all the responses I have seen the outer diameter is bigger. Mine is probably around 1.8" OD and pretty thin wall....I know that 1.75" OD tubing slips right in. I used 0.090" wall and that was quite a bit thicker than factory. 0.120" wall is pretty common when building custom cages on fullsize vehicles, so figure 0.090" was plenty thick. I actually replaced my entire A pillar with the 1.75" 0.090" wall tubing after I kinked both sides on trees and roots.
Oh and I am a bit confused on the pipe insert size, you mentioned 1.75 outside diameter, isnt the pipe it is going into 1.75 outside diameter? I didnt measure but when I bought the windshield it said that it fit 1.75" roll bars. Thanks!!!
Blazer is right, the OEM perimeter cage pieces are actually 1.875" OD and the top cross pieces are 1.7". So being an incredibly thin walled tubing, the 1.75" OD fits inside.
UTV Rollcage Diameters

If you don't feel like sourcing the pieces, there is a guy named Mike LaFour from WTF Offroad that makes and sells machined couplers designed for the Teryx. Just search WTF Offroad on Facebook.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In regards to the cut location on the C pillar to cut, just make sure you are far enough below the bend so you have at least a couple inches of straight section to insert the sleeve up into.

Thanks for the clarification, I will go steel tube shopping tomorrow :) Ya the stock cage is pretty flimsy but I am old and just pretty much stick to trails and such so should be ok for the riding I do, thanks again for the help

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Blazer is right, the OEM perimeter cage pieces are actually 1.875" OD and the top cross pieces are 1.7". So being an incredibly thin walled tubing, the 1.75" OD fits inside.
UTV Rollcage Diameters

If you don't feel like sourcing the pieces, there is a guy named Mike LaFour from WTF Offroad that makes and sells machined couplers designed for the Teryx. Just search WTF Offroad on Facebook.
Thanks much for the rollbar chart and for the help, much appreciated !!

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thank you very much 6.2Blazer and Huntertim214 for all your help with this cage chop, you were both also spot on with the 1.75" pipe diameter!! I had a hard time finding the right size pipe, plenty of 1 5/8" OD pipe but finally found a piece of 1.75....it had fricken thick walls, a tad overkill if you will, lol!! I did cut the "B" pillar at the top but there is a sideways gusset that is welded from the side and had to be cut out as well but the vertical cuts I made assisted in re-welding it back on the pillar. I measured the angle before cutting which made it easier getting the correct angle cut for the re-installation. I did the weld on pillar "C" a few inches above the mounting bracket which gave me the best access to do the work with the dump box lifted up. Cut 4" off "C" and cut right amount off "B" to fit.
I initially wanted to do the chop so the rig would fit in the carport and also fit in the enclosed trailer I am ordering , trailer has extended height of 12" but door height was still not enough at 79" , sxs was 80". I didn't even consider doing this for asthetics but now that I see it, damn, I think it actually does look better then before!!! :)

Attachments

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Could only download ten per post so here are couple more, lol
"sensitive content, not recommended to those under 18" ......it was a picture of the sxs roll cage pipe, not my pipe, hahahaha

Attachments

· Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,716 Posts
It went really well, took my time and made sure I didnt make any mistakes. If you decide to do your cage feel free to ask me anything, glad to help :)
Thanks! I must say, the look is significantly better! I'm running out of excuses! :ROFLMAO:

Did you paint your rear quarter panels? Mine are all white and yours are half black. That looks pretty cool to. (takes notes)

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! I must say, the look is significantly better! I'm running out of excuses! :ROFLMAO:

Did you paint your rear quarter panels? Mine are all white and yours are half black. That looks pretty cool to. (takes notes)
Thanks!!!! The black rear panels are left over vinyl wrap I had and tried two years ago, they are still holding up nicely, lol! I also put some on the hood

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
for the width, park beside a wall 13 inchs from the side. Then see if you can get out. The 2 inches extra are so you are not rubbing the tires on the right
I took your advise and parked 13" away from a wall, was able to open the door enough to get in/out and slide between the sxs and the wall to get out. A little tight but not bad at all.

· Premium Member
2016 Teryx4 LE
115 Posts
"It went really well, took my time and made sure I didnt make any mistakes. If you decide to do your cage feel free to ask me anything, glad to help :)"
I have a question for you Rio, will you come here and do mine now?
That looks great! I've been thinking about a chop, just to make it look better.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"It went really well, took my time and made sure I didnt make any mistakes. If you decide to do your cage feel free to ask me anything, glad to help :)"
I have a question for you Rio, will you come here and do mine now?
That looks great! I've been thinking about a chop, just to make it look better.
Might have considered it but you are over 1,200 miles from where I live 😳 honestly it was very straight forward to do as long as you can weld or know someone that can

1 - 19 of 19 Posts