Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I just returned from a weekend at the mud park with my 2016 Teryx4. Have a question about some shifting issues I encountered over the weekend. It was always somewhat hard to shift but yesterday it started idling higher than usual and then I couldn’t get the shifter moved unless I turn the engine off. So I rode in low 4wheel drive and if I hade to maneuver through a tight spot I turned my machine off -shift it in reverse, turn it back on, go backward, turn it off - shift into low and go. It shifts easy when engine is off but when engine is running there is no way to move the shifter. Also, if I start it in neutral it makes a loud screeching sound like it maybe in between gears. Lastly at times it would idle so high while at a stand still in low gear and the e-brake on, it would inch forward. Been reading some older posts for the past couple of hours and think it could may be a broken shifter cable but does that also result in the high idle? I wouldn’t consider myself an extreme mudder. Always do a deep clean when getting back home. Any thoughts of what it coul be or similar experiences? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
I have no idea but it sounds like it’s warranty work to me. I wouldn’t know where to start. But like you I’d read up on it but I’d have mine on the trailer on the way Kawasaki. Hopefully someone will chime in with some tips.

Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
If that thing is under warranty id take it to the dealer for sure. It does sound like your idle being high could be engaging the centrifugal clutch and that's causing your shifting issues. Not sure but maybe you have some throttle return issues or some mud in the engine compartment causing some headaches for you.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The high idling is a very probable root cause of the shifting issue. Probably best to have the idle check out under warranty as mentioned all ready. You may have some dirt clogging up the fuel pump and it is running lean and high idling...

·
Registered
955 Posts
It is not a broken shift cable. If it was you wouldn't be able to shift at all regardless of if the engine is running or not, and has nothing to do with the idle.

I would inspect the machine for mud caked around any of the throttle linkages. I would also pull out the air cleaner and make sure it's not packed with mud or anything.

·
Registered
509 Posts
and has nothing to do with the idle.
The high idle will want to start to have the clutches engage and make shifting difficult to say the least, maybe impossible depending on how high the idle RPM is.

Reactions: NeedAWD

·
Registered
955 Posts
The high idle will want to start to have the clutches engage and make shifting difficult to say the least, maybe impossible depending on how high the idle RPM is.
I specifically stated it was not a broken shift cable, and a broken shift cable has nothing to do with the high idle. I completely agree with your statement that the high idle will cause difficulties in shifting.....but again the shifting issues and/or high idle has absolutely zero to do with a broken shift cable.

It is not a broken shift cable. If it was you wouldn't be able to shift at all regardless of if the engine is running or not, and has nothing to do with the idle.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I specifically stated it was not a broken shift cable, and a broken shift cable has nothing to do with the high idle. I completely agree with your statement that the high idle will cause difficulties in shifting.....but again the shifting issues and/or high idle has absolutely zero to do with a broken shift cable.
Sorry about that as I wasn't interpreting correctly your statement. You were saying a broken cable has nothing to do with the high idle and I was thinking you were saying the high idle has nothing to do with shifting capability :pint:

If the high idle is addressed the shift issues go away most likely because it has been identified the shifter and everything involved there works fine with the motor off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts