Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so the location of the battery is ridiculous! I’ve got a dead battery I’m trying to replace and I’m a big guy (6’3/230), any secrets on get back behind the radiator/under the air box to get it out? I can’t even get the bolt off the battery cover on the driver side out.

Any tips?

·
TOTM Winner Sep '21
750 Posts
I know some people remove the airbox to gain access to the battery. I've never removed the battery as our 2018 stock battery is still working fine.

I checked the service manual, it does not say to remove any other parts in order to get the battery out. Just gives instructions for removing battery clamps, cables, etc. No help at all on access procedure.

·
Registered
2017 Teryx4
393 Posts
What year are you dealing with? I've pulled the battery out of a '13. It's a pain to come out the passenger side but not horrific. The battery looks to come out of my '17 the same way. My size, 6' 4"/300, does not pose a particularly unique obstacle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Okay, so the location of the battery is ridiculous! I’ve got a dead battery I’m trying to replace and I’m a big guy (6’3/230), any secrets on get back behind the radiator/under the air box to get it out? I can’t even get the bolt off the battery cover on the driver side out.

Any tips?
I feel your pain Brother! I have a 2014 and had to remove the old and put in the new. I'm 6'04" 250 and it was a complete beast! I didn't remove anything. It didn't appear it would have helped any due to frame arms and such. I thought about selling it, but I couldn't since it wouldn't start. I remember using ratchet extensions on the driver side. On the passenger side using a crescent wrench and and ratcheting crescent wrench with a lot of patience. If I remember correctly it took 2 and 1/2 days. Sorry, I remember I did take something off. Both front wheels. It helped a little. Sorry, that's all I got for you. I spent an hour or two at a time until I got aggravated - then I would walk away for a while; come back and try more. At the end of the day; I took some nerve medicine in a reasonable amount. It was Wild Turkey American Honey. Very smooth. A couple of drinks and the day goes away quietly. Good luck ! If you're close to Christiansburg Virginia; I would be happy to help.

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,480 Posts
I jacked up the front end and removed the front passenger tire. That allows me enough space to get the battery out, but yes, its a pain. I gave up trying to put the battery cover back on and just used the hold down instead. When you replace it, make sure you get a good Gel-Cell battery, not a lead-acid. Also, don't get the new Lythium-Ion battery either. They are light weight and powerful, but they don't take vibrations well. In these units, Gel Cell is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,480 Posts
If you're close to Christiansburg Virginia; I would be happy to help.
Dang dude! I drive through Christianburg all the time on my way to West Virginia. Heck, I'll be driving through again tomorrow. I'll waive as I go through (y)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dang dude! I drive through Christianburg all the time on my way to West Virginia. Heck, I'll be driving through again tomorrow. I'll waive as I go through (y)
Hey Butters,
Virginia is right. Leaving the cover off is the same thing I did. Just use the hold down bolts.
I don’t live right in Christiansburg about 15 miles south. I’ll wave back anyway.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'm not a master mechanic or anything but it only took me 15 minutes to swap batteries on mine without removing anything. My factory battery lasted 4-5 years and I just went to Rural King and picked out a matching battery and slapped it in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts