Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced no electrical power even after new battery replacement? No lights, no turnover... no anything!!!

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021 TOTM Winner
2020 Teryx4 LE
677 Posts
If it worked fine before replacing the battery you might want to try again, unless the new battery is doa.

·
Registered
2018 Teryx LE
11 Posts
Another obvious question....

Is the transmission clearly in neutral? I noticed on mine, if I don’t strongly push the shift into neutral, it will not start.

·
2020 Teryx4 LE
677 Posts
Or just press the brake pedal and it should start in any position. But not having it in neutral wouldn't prevent everything else from working. Starter-yes , lights-no :geek:

·
2020 Teryx4 LE
677 Posts
Has anyone else experienced no electrical power even after new battery replacement? No lights, no turnover... no anything!!!
Let's start over....Hi, I have a 2018 Teryx4 and it doesn't start even after replacing the battery.

Alright then, welcome to the forum. Great first post.
How long have you owned your Teryx? Just buy it from the dead row at auction? Owned it since new? A little background goes a long ways when people who try to help are thousands of miles away.

1. Is it safe to say you had no power and the thing wouldn't start so you bought a new battery stuck it in there and it didn't change a thing?
2.Or it was running fine but the battery was clearly weak and was time to replace it. After replacing it it doesn't start?

If you just had no power one day and still don't after replacing the battery check all your fuses, check the grounds. There was a post a while back that someone had the ground wires up on the passenger side firewall get rusty or come loose causing a no start. It might be worth checking out if all the fuses are good.

Otherwise, like everyone else, we could be throwing random guesses out for months like 'is there gas in it"?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let's start over....Hi, I have a 2018 Teryx4 and it doesn't start even after replacing the battery.

Alright then, welcome to the forum. Great first post.
How long have you owned your Teryx? Just buy it from the dead row at auction? Owned it since new? A little background goes a long ways when people who try to help are thousands of miles away.

1. Is it safe to say you had no power and the thing wouldn't start so you bought a new battery stuck it in there and it didn't change a thing?
2.Or it was running fine but the battery was clearly weak and was time to replace it. After replacing it it doesn't start?

If you just had no power one day and still don't after replacing the battery check all your fuses, check the grounds. There was a post a while back that someone had the ground wires up on the passenger side firewall get rusty or come loose causing a no start. It might be worth checking out if all the fuses are good.

Otherwise, like everyone else, we could be throwing random guesses out for months like 'is there gas in it"?
Sorry.... here we go:
I purchased the 2018 Teryx brand new, no hours in Sept. 2018. No issues other than the in and out of 4 wheel drive which apparently everyone else experiences.
I purchased a new battery because it wouldn't start and the old battery didn't seem to hold a charge. After replacing the battery, it still won't start. Connections have been checked, fuses have been checked, the battery is definitely good, but apparently there is something I'm missing.

·
2020 Teryx4 LE
677 Posts
So you have no power to anything, no lights, no dash, no winch, no cig outlet etc...?

·
2020 Teryx4 LE
677 Posts
Weird. Did anything light up or turn on before swapping out the battery? Either way, something is off. Effered/badly corroded ignition switch, blown main fuse, loose ground on frame? Just to eliminate a bad ground you could(theoretically) hook a booster cable from the battery ground to the frame(bare metal) or engine. If that doesn't do it, you'll have to start probing for power. You should have constant at the back of the ignition switch, unless these are wired way differently than any car I've worked on, but I doubt that. Do you have a winch? You should also have power and ground at the winch solenoid, if not go back to the battery and triple check the connections again. These things should have a starter solenoid I believe, up high on the firewall under the cowl? There should be power at one of the connectors on that too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently had a similar issue and was able to determine the problem with a volt meter. I measured the voltage at the main fuse, when the fuse was out I had 12.7 volts at the fuse. When I plugged the fuse in the voltage would drop. The issue I found was there is a plug on the positive battery terminal and it was corroded causing the voltage to drop with a load. The result was no power. I would recommend using a volt meter and testing the voltage. You can also check continuity to ground. I believe the main wire to the fuse is red and white. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground......take the ground off and sand it down to bare metal wherever it’s mounted. If that doesn’t work, test across the terminals at the battery. If it’s fully charged it should be around 13V. If that’s good then go to the fuse panel. Pull the main 30A fuse and check for voltage coming in.

Funny you mention this because I had the same issue recently but it was quite the odd scenario. I have a lot of accessories and all of a sudden lost power to everything. Even my radio which is wired directly to the battery through a rocker switch. I had a 4 gauge cable from the battery over to a bus bar with the majority of my accessories. Battery had 13.1 so I went to the main 30A fuse and checked it for continuity (sometimes the little window showing the fuse can be deceiving). That was good so I checked that I at least had voltage coming in. Nothing. Went back to the battery and moved the 4 gauge around. Everything turned on. Come to find out I completely fried the 4 gauge inside the insulation. There was a cut in it which allowed moisture and major oxidation.
I now have 1/0 power and ground connections with multiple grounds ran from the engine back up to the battery. Rock solid voltage now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem. It turned out to be a two wire connector under the front hood. I just turned on my stereo and just started moving wires around and the radio came on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also check the solenoid the ignition uses for starting. Located behind the steering wheel. The cowling on top between the hood and the steering wheel. I had same problem when someone stole mine and cut the Ignition wires and blew the solenoid. It’s only about $12 on amazon and easy to wire. Fired right up after acting completely dead. Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts