Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I figured I should start a thread listing what I do to my machine and some pics when I get a chance. Kawasaki was "giving away" a warn winch when I bought my Teryx a month ago, they also threw in a kfi winch mount. It came with synthetic cable.

Other than installing the winch I've only mounted a rear bump seat from utvma. It showed up within days of ordering it to my amazement.

A short list of things I'd like to do soon are

-dash mounted winch switch and usb charger
-usb outlet in glovebox
-windshield
-2" lift kit
-rear window
-side nets for rear passengers maybe front as well
-better cargo box(using plano sportsman trunk now)
-chainsaw mount
-Under driver seat storage

Attachments

Reactions: SuperATV and Lawdog

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ended up ordering
-Rayco glass winshield(frame) Kit pour pare-brise de verre / glass windshield kit, Teryx | entreprisesrayco
-Tusk soft back window Tusk UTV Rear Back Window Kawasaki Teryx4 800 2014-2020 Dust Snow Cold Wind | eBay ,
-winch switch and usb ports cheap on Amazon
- Perfex 2" lift PERFEX™ 2" Full Suspension Lift Kit | Kawasaki Teryx 800 & 800-4 (2012-19)
-rubbermaid trash can for under the seat.

I tore a outer cv boot on the first and only trip out so far. I bought a Dorman 614-001 cv boot. Install was easy, it stretched on without a cone or boot spreader. Just lathered the shaft with engine assembly grease and it slid on. I was able to tighten both clamps up enough that I couldn't spin the boot. Used some duckbill pliers to twist the band then folded it over.

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I got everything installed. Windshield looks good. Got a buddy to get me a piece of 1/4" laminated glass. I bought a chineseium manual wiper from amazon. It's a flimsy pos. I'll likely go find a rear wiper motor from a minivan like I originally planned lol. I doubt the cheapo electric utv wiper kits are gonna be much better.

The perfex 2" lift kit worked out. The brackets are thinner than the highlifter kit I have on my old 800 rzr but the tolerances seem tighter. I was missing a few bolts with the perfex kit and let them know. They were pretty apologetic and offered to rush some replacements ones out but I just got some from work for next to nothing.

The Tusk rear window fits alright, doesn't have a cutout for the flag mount(as expected) but I'll probably just cut that off anyways.

I found an old between the seat storage bag from my rzr in my garage and kinda mounted it to the drivers door by running the straps between the door and door skin. Looks pretty ghetto but good enough for now.

On Saturday I'm heading out to the mountains for a week with the family. I cannot wait to get away from the city with no cell coverage again!

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered some side nets from vetnets last night. I ordered a cheapo amazon rollbar organizer bag as well to keep gloves,snacks and shit tickets handy.

The plastics are taking a beating, both sides scratched up pretty good from spruce branches.

I'm really glad I bought a full windshield and rear window but need a better wiper setup and a washer reservoir. I also love how high the seat is and having doors. Though if it were any warmer out it would have been uncomfortable. I've never stayed so clean on a ride before, with the exception of our last day out. I tore off my rain gear as it was so warm out, hit a few mud holes harder than usual and got pretty muddy. Plugged the rad solid at the same time and had to pressure wash it in a swamp on the way back to camp. All the other days I didn't go as fast and the rad stayed pretty clean.

As others mentioned, these things are fairly good on fuel. I used low for the most part as there is 1-10km of road riding then the rest of the day is trails with hills, mud holes and river crossings and we rarely got over 30kph.

The only thing I have to fix before going out next is one of the front tires has a piece of tree wedged between the rim and tire. It didn't seam to lose any air though.

I now have 38hrs and 535km/332miles and so far no regrets.

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I'm too computer dumb to delete the duplicates.
E3AB7933-011C-408A-BEA3-B77C1019A3B8.jpeg
679EB31B-3210-460D-8CB7-23DC2D8BC314.jpeg

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got back from a trip yesterday with a list of things to do and buy for the Teryx.
-Need a better winch. the warn crapped out. sounds like gear broke inside
-need a rear winch as well
-spot lights, I don't normally ride in the dark but it happened. Setting up tents in the dark is retarded.
-heater with defrost, windshield fogs up bad when driving in cold rain
-spare tire, I didn't get a flat but would have had a 4 day hike out of the bush if I did
-Jack-all and wide boards. Having a way to lift the teryx up even a foot would have been a time saver.
-Second wiper
-snatch block
-Might mount a larger capacity truck battery under drivers seat
-Some hinged metal framed side windows would be nice to have in the cold narrow trails
-Extra tow straps
-Need a tow hook on the front for towing and to hook snatch block to.
-Diff lock speed limiter bypass. I hit the limiter few times when climbing some really long steep hills, not a good feeling.
-I'll have to inspect the belt and clutches, I hear the belt or clutches chirp once or twice. Will probably end up replacing the belt and keep old one as a spare.
-Should check the front brakes and try to find out wtf the brake pedal goes to the floor randomly.
-will be changing all the fluids again before going out again in the spring.

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't updated this in a while. I put on 1047 kms last summer, but it hasn't moved since early September...
I've got a trip planned for the end of this month in the mountains again.
I got a few things done over the winter.
-Built a cargo box with scrap plywood I had laying around
-Replaced front upper control arm bushings with some from Garage Products
-Replaced the belt, old one looked fine. I wanted a spare anyways. It's not as hard as people make it sound(if you have an impact). At least you can actually see the bolts that have to come off unlike on my rzr.
-Removed front sway bar
-Repaired the winch. Drum was broke. Probably caused by not having the spooled in properly. I had an extra one in my broken/spare rzr parts bin.
-Wired up a cheapo Amazon special wireless winch controller. It works, remotes automatically turn off.
-Checked front brakes, they still have lots of meat left. Surprisingly.
-Mounted up a boss blue tooth stereo I got for free. I didn't bother trying to hide the wires. Instead used some adhesive zip tie mounts along the roof. They'll probably fall off on the first ride and end up in the camp fire.
-Mounted a bigger car battery under the drivers seat. I've been lucky with the stock battery so far but I find I winch a lot and wanted some backup battery juice. And a way easier quick place to jump stuff from next time I smash the cig lighter plug off my air compressor.
-Mounted and wired up a winch relay/contactor at the rear for future rear winch
-I ran a longer vent hose for the rear diff, up by the lh rear seat.

I'm slowly trying to make a wiper transmission and motor from a rhd samurai(ebay) work with the windshield I have. So far it's just mounted to a chunk of cardboard. Getting forgot about. Would be nice to have working, 2 speed motor with auto park function would be better than the one crappy manual wiper I have now. Might be easier to just use a couple rear motors from a Ford Escape like I've seen on other sxs forums.

I'll take some pics one day.

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cobbled together a rear winch setup yesterday with 3 pieces of angle iron. Still gotta drill the pin hole larger. It just sits on top the hitch and will hold in place by the hitch pin.

I didn’t want to bolt it to the frame and didn’t want a ball mount style that sticks out a foot. Tried that on a different machine and bent the hell out of the hitch.
Used an old Rule 4200lb boat winch that was on an old sj410 I used to own. It tore the frame on the old Suzuki so should be good enough for what I need. I hope...

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here’s how I mounted a battery under the drivers seat.

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I almost got my wiper transmission setup fingered out. I used a rhd samurai eBay set up. Suzuki Samurai Gypsy Wiper Motor For Right Hand Drive+Rotary Link | eBay It was the cheapest, smallest, and simplest I could find.(at the time)
I still need to fab another bracket or two for the motor, run wires and a switch then find some decent wiper arms and blades. I just semi-temporarily bolted on the pos chinesium manual wiper arm
I got from Amazon last year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts