Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2021 Teryx threw a rod with 2300 miles and five months old. Anyone else had problems with the motor staying together ? Kawasaki is only building the one cylinder which is bull bologna and now says there is a shortage of parts. Been blown since May 1, 2021. Today is July 7.

·
Registered
2017 Teryx4
298 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Too bad it's under such circumstances. Is this an original Teryx or the KRX? Has the cause been diagnosed?

·
Jan & Jun 2021 TOTM Winner
548 Posts
That sucks!

What's the history on your machine? Often used as a submarine or in 100F + temps at constant wot, daily driver?

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
My 2021 Teryx threw a rod with 2300 miles and five months old. Anyone else had problems with the motor staying together ? Kawasaki is only building the one cylinder which is bull bologna and now says there is a shortage of parts. Been blown since May 1, 2021. Today is July 7.
What does Kawasaki is only building the one cylinder mean? And no, not a common occurrence, there have been a few issues during the V-twins use in the Teryx(bevel gears) but "throwing a rod" was not one of them. The first Gens. were known to lose rod bearings due to oil starvation if the oil level was not checked religiously.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. Too bad it's under such circumstances. Is this an original Teryx or the KRX? Has the cause been diagnosed?
It’s a 2021 KRX 1000 twin cylinder. Oil change regular with Kawasaki oil change kit ( I’m in maintenance at work ). And 53 years old. Instead of a new motor they are building the side that threw the rod. I’ve had 5 Kawasaki’s mainly badass atvs. This is a first blown motor. Just pissed it’s been in shop since May 1st Kawasaki seems to be in no hurry yet I’m still making the payment Still waiting on parts to build the cylinder. I hate mud so never under water. I’ve rode the hell
That sucks!

What's the history on your machine? Often used as a submarine or in 100F + temps at constant wot, daily driver?
out of it but the kicker is I was driving it home on the road through a neighborhood going 45 mph. Started rattling barely got it off the road before it blew It is bone stock. I’m scared to turn it up after I get it back now. Might have to go back to slow but dependable Honda’s

·
Registered
2017 Teryx4
298 Posts
I gotta believe your unit is the exception, not the rule. I know that's no consolation. It still stinks. We'll see if this becomes a more common occurrence for the '21 as they get some miles on them.

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
The twin cylinder in the KRX hasn't been around long enough to have a very long track record, it was designed specifically for the KRX. The V-Twin in the Teryx had already proven itself in ATVs before it was slightly modified for the Teryx in 2008. Hopefully the new KRX parallel twin will prove to be as reliable, and your unfortunate experience is the exception. Do a little undercover investigation to see if the parts are available, and to see if your dealer isn't B.Sing you, it does happen!

Good Luck! Mike

·
Administrator
God bless 🇺🇸
4,247 Posts
Thread moved to engine section.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It’s a 2021 KRX 1000 twin cylinder. Oil change regular with Kawasaki oil change kit ( I’m in maintenance at work ). And 53 years old. Instead of a new motor they are building the side that threw the rod. I’ve had 5 Kawasaki’s mainly badass atvs. This is a first blown motor. Just pissed it’s been in shop since May 1st Kawasaki seems to be in no hurry yet I’m still making the payment Still waiting on parts to build the cylinder. I hate mud so never under water. I’ve rode the hell

out of it but the kicker is I was driving it home on the road through a neighborhood going 45 mph. Started rattling barely got it off the road before it blew It is bone stock. I’m scared to turn it up after I get it back now. Might have to go back to slow but dependable Honda’s
That’s sad news !! We have 4 in our rental fleet and all have about 2600-3000 miles on them. We are in Sedona so it’s usually a hot day around 100 degrees. We change the oil at 75 hours not the 100 that is recommended due to ours usually going out 2 times a day for 4 hours. Average miles traveled per rental is around 60. Really have had great luck with the Kawis !!! ( except for the heat transfer from the cooling pipes to the gas tanks = fuel percolating !!) It’s the Can Ams that are a pain in our rump !! Would be perfectly happy if we just stuck with Polaris and Kawasaki !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts