Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 4wd actuator need broken in to work properly every time? My 2021 won't come out of 4wd diff lock without shutting it off and turning it back on, it just flashes 2wd/4wd on the dash.

I tried the moving wheels side to side and rolling back and forth method but it doesn't work for me. Right now, according to the dash it's in 4wd but the switch is in 2wd.

I'm doing the 120 hour service so it's still new and hasn't been used but a handful of times so I didn't know it if needs actuated more or if I need to take it the dealer for warranty work.

Thanks

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
446 Posts
Are you shifting from diff lock direct to 2wd? If so try one selection at a time.
I have to saw the steering wheel back and forth to get mine out of diff lock 90% of the time. Sometimes have to switch back and forth between diff lock and 4wd to get it unlocked. Usually coasting slowly will help it unlock too.

I just installed the sgroi 4wd switch/diff lock speed limiter bypass thing and noticed if you shift from diff lock to 2wd too quickly it will not shift. If you do it slowly and stop for a second in 4wd then go to 2wd it works fine every time. At least in the garage... I can't recall if the oem setup worked this way, probably.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I'm going from 4wd diff lock to 4wd and waiting, after about 30 seconds the 2wd/4wd starts flashing back and forth. Going from 4wd to 2wd isnt an issue, its 4wd dif lock to 4wd. I found some info on turning the wheels all the way to the left and right...I wasn't doing that, I was just turning them side to side while moving slow. I'll play with it more if it stops raining when i get off work. I didn't know these teryx's were so cantankerous coming out of diff lock.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Pretty common problem with it getting stuck in diff lock or at least delayed disengagement. To be honest I think the only reason it doesn't come up more is that a lot of people rarely if ever use diff lock. On mine it comes out of diff lock much easier now than when new. I use diff lock a lot...pretty much every real trail ride it gets used multiple times. As already mentioned I always go from diff lock to 4wd and wait for the diff lock to go off before trying to go to 2wd. Almost guaranteed to have the indicator flash at me if I try to go from diff lock directly to 2wd. Probably have more issues going from 4wd back to 2wd now. If I try to shift on the fly between 4wd and 2wd it will start flashing between 2wd/4wd. A little surprised that the OP's machine will flash between 2wd/4wd when just going from diff lock to 4wd.
There have been a few times where mine has gotten stuck in diff lock where if you try to switch it out the check engine light comes on.....tried all the tricks to get it to shift out of diff lock and nothing worked (trust me, there have been plenty of other times where it took a while to shift out of diff lock but it didn't trigger the light). Both times I had to remove the actuator from the diff, lay it up on the tire, and turn the key on and off a few times while moving the selector until it finally started moving. Just last week I did remove the actuator and pulled it apart. Cleaned it out around the potentiometer and applied light grease on the gears. Also found the output shaft wouldn't turn freely. Pulled it out and it has an o-ring that had a bunch of gunk down around the shaft. Cleaned and greased it so it moves freely. Haven't used it much but seems to shift a little faster but have only tried it a couple times.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same problem and if dead stop into reverse then neutral seems to work sometimes. We just have to play with it a bit but form time to time it takes a few minutes to get back to 2 WD without flashing😀!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I played with it last night switching back and forth through all the 4wd settings and turning the steering wheel back and forth and finally got the hang of what it needs for engagement.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I would recommend just cruising around the yard and slowly switching through the different positions.....switch to 4wd and let it engage, then back to 2wd, then 4wd, then diff lock, etc..... Again, I've had most problems when trying something like 2wd directly to diff lock, etc....

A little update on pulling the actuator apart to clean and re-grease. Drove it a few more times just around the neighborhood and it shifts much quicker between all positions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts