Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance! We run 20 rental machines nearly every day with an average of 50 miles/day. Standard trails with dust, mud, some standing water average six hour ride each day. Today, new machine Teryx4 800 2022, less that 500 miles yet loss of power like starving for fuel, worse than limp mode. Pulled the pump and checked fuel filter. A green goo is choking the filter material, looks like algae. Replaced filter and runs well again. Each machine with varying mileage needs this replacement. Asked Dealer for advice said they have no knowledge of this problem. Contacted a chemist within the fuel industry to try to determine a bulk supplier fuel contamination possibility. Anyone here have any perspective?

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
575 Posts
I have nothing to offer as far as help goes, but that is crazy. I believe you're right that it almost has to be something in the fuel that you are using. Please keep us updated on what any possible results are. Where are you located at?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the filter is left in the sun the green color nearly disappears, however, the material, gunk, remains with a small improvement in the ability of air to move through the material. Here, our cost per filter is $40 and the stock at the Dealer is very low. Chemist recommends absolutely no ethanol fuel, which is our requirement as well, yet Dealer approved use of ethanol fuel. Chemist suggested a biocide, but Dealer will void the warranties. We have two locations and each one uses different fuel stations, though Bulk Delivery obtains their fuel from often the same supplier. Dealer overnighted a fuel pump tester that is due in three days and all the fuel pumps will be pressure tested. Primary concern is the rental guest has unexpected fuel issues and, rightly so, gets grumpy. There are occasions when Staff recognizes a pressurization of the fuel tank, but unsure of a positive pressure or a negative pressure. Read on the Forum that some have experienced positive fuel tank pressure and got a fuel "wash." All fuel tanks are filled at the end of the day. All fuel tanks run premium, no ethanol. Temps drop about 50 degrees from the heat of the day to the overnight temp. Condensation or contamination or something else?

·
TOTM Winner May 2022
Empire slip on,Memphis sound bar, Tusk windshield, winch, light bar etc.
65 Posts
I have a 2021 s model that has positive pressure in the tank every time I remove the cap. I’ve never sunk the machine or got even close to it. It’s been like this for awhile now that I know of and zero issues. The buggy has 1200 miles on it. What is fuel wash?

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,589 Posts
Not an expert, but this certainly sounds like an ethanol problem. If you run ethanol in a non-injected engine that sits a lot (like your lawnmower for example) you will find that the inside of the carb bowl will start turning green and the carb will fail. This is in fact algae growth and has sent countless small engines to the junk yard early. (Not that it destroys the engine, just that the owner doesn't know how to fix it, or its cheaper just to buy a new one)

You said that you require non-ethanol fuels, but it may be possible that the fuel you are getting actually has more than 10% ethanol in it. It might even be E-85. You really need an engine designed for "Flex Fuel" to run more than 10% ethanol, and here could be the problem.

10% Ethanol is normally not an issue for a fuel injected machine like the Teryx, but they are not rated for more than that. If you want to know for sure, check out this goofy guys video on how to test if your gas has ethanol in it or not:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply.
If this is an ethanol problem, then the Fuel Station is mixing their fuel types in their own tanks, at both locations, two different businesses. We will investigate any fuel types. The fuel product offered at both Fuel Stations are marked No Ethanol as we have a slew of motorcycles that require this product. Since the growth of the microbes is evident, and the Dealer has no solution to suggest, and Chemist says to add a biocide product, any suggestions?

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021, Feb 2022 TOTM Winner
831 Posts
I have only seen stuff like that in an old diesel loader. We ended up getting rid of it after using something similar to this Bio Kleen Diesel Fuel Biocide - Power Service. Eventually it cleared up.
I haven't seen that green crap in a gas engine though. I run plain old 87 with 10%ethanol in my Teryx and haven't had an issue in 2 years or with any of my other quads or small engines unless they sit for over a year or two. Then the fuel seems to turn to sludge, smells like rotten ass and gums everything up.

I'd try a biocide, I don't get how/why dealer would attempt to "void your warranty" for trying something like that? Killem EPA Approved Biocide - Products - FPPF Chemical.

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
If this is an ethanol problem, then the Fuel Station is mixing their fuel types in their own tanks, at both locations, two different businesses. We will investigate any fuel types. The fuel product offered at both Fuel Stations are marked No Ethanol as we have a slew of motorcycles that require this product. Since the growth of the microbes is evident, and the Dealer has no solution to suggest, and Chemist says to add a biocide product, any suggestions?
I agree with Andy, running a Biocide should not have any impact to your warranty. I would suggest running it, but not tell them about it. Its highly unlikely they would detect it anyway. I don't see any way that this isn't a fuel problem. I would have it indenpendantly tested if for no other reason then for peace of mind.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would suspect Algae and it likely comes from Ethanol in the fuel separating water from the fuel. Your environment of cooler nights allows condensation to draw into the cooled gasoline on warm humid mornings if the tanks are not kept full overnight. When I owned my airplane, the religiously followed rule was to fill the tanks to full after a flight to avoid the deadly condensation draw that could draw water into the fuel tank. Could it be a supplier is trying to pass non-Ethanol gas as Ethanol free and pocketing the difference, or maybe accidently gave you the wrong gas by mistake? As for fuel filters I buy mine from Ebay for a couple bucks a piece. 5 Fuel Pump Strainer Filter For Kawasaki Teryx 750 800 Brute Force 750 Mule 4000 | eBay

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies. Beyond frustrated. A local Riders group in our area is posting complaints about the area's fuel supply that other riders are getting loss of power behaviors from all sorts of off-road rigs. Found the Killem and also a BIBOR product that is a biocide meant for all sorts of fuel types. Chemist from the fuel industry is the one to strongly suggest non-ethanol and an additive. Seems the "humbugs" live in the space of water below the fuel and the fuel level where they multiply in the water and live off the hydrocarbons. Hum bugs or hydrocarbon utilizing microbes like fuels, with moisture. Just today another two rigs went down on the trails with guests with loss of power, fuel starvation. Ordered filters but shipping is days out. Hopefully the $$$ fuel pump pressure tester comes today and that the fuel pumps are still in good working order.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All area Bulk Fuel Deliveries to the rural/small stations that surround us evidently purchase from various companies as supply and demand allows. We may be selecting and paying for the premium grade without knowing the actual product specifications. Will perform some tests and reach out to Chemist again with questions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would suspect Algae and it likely comes from Ethanol in the fuel separating water from the fuel. Your environment of cooler nights allows condensation to draw into the cooled gasoline on warm humid mornings if the tanks are not kept full overnight. When I owned my airplane, the religiously followed rule was to fill the tanks to full after a flight to avoid the deadly condensation draw that could draw water into the fuel tank. Could it be a supplier is trying to pass non-Ethanol gas as Ethanol free and pocketing the difference, or maybe accidently gave you the wrong gas by mistake? As for fuel filters I buy mine from Ebay for a couple bucks a piece. 5 Fuel Pump Strainer Filter For Kawasaki Teryx 750 800 Brute Force 750 Mule 4000 | eBay
Thanks for the link for the filters. Dealer has a few in stock with a $40 price tag, each. We normally have a very dry climate so very little humidity unless it is a day with a downpour. Read that the temperature variation can contribute to condensation thus keeping the fuel tank full we thought would reduce any chances. Bulk Deliverer uses the 'rare' word to describe the occurrence of gasoline contamination. Don't call this RARE in the least. Hesitate to place blame on anyone quite yet, only real concern is rental guests having a great riding experience and returning without troubles.

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
I think you are building a case for legal action against the fuel companies. I strongly suggest that you take a sample of fuel and send it off for professional analysis. Thats going to be one of the first things your lawyer will want to see.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think you are building a case for legal action against the fuel companies. I strongly suggest that you take a sample of fuel and send it off for professional analysis. Thats going to be one of the first things your lawyer will want to see.
Will contact Chemist for a suggestion as to how to collect, store, transport. Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts