Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
New to the forum. Bought 2021 Teryx4 base model. Looking for advise/expertise on things to do to the machine? Add ons? Must haves? What to know? Does/Don'ts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
New to the forum. Bought 2021 Teryx4 base model. Looking for advise/expertise on things to do to the machine? Add ons? Must haves? What to know? Does/Don'ts?

·
1,670 Posts
First off welcome to the forum. There are a ton of these same posts out there asking the same question and alot of great answers on them. Try searching fuel vent mod, Garage Products A arm bushings, shocks just to name a few. If you run alot of dirt roads, if you have a windshield uou will also want a back glass to keep from getting covered in dust. Have fun!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Christ is King
4,127 Posts
Reactions: mb0249

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you want to know?
Anything new from past years to this year. Looks like it is the same YoY just different paint. I did buy the base model (vibrant blue). I pick it up first week of Feb. Never rode Kawasaki before. Suzuki dirt bike and ski doo snowmobiles is all I've ever road. Just getting into kawasaki. Looks like a solid engine and chassis (probably why the same YoY, if it ain't broke don't fix it). Seems to be good for cruising the 2 tracks in Northern michigan. Almost got the wolverine x4 instead. Did ride that and thought it was great. But T4 seems to be similar?

·
Administrator
Christ is King
4,127 Posts
You made a good choice. Yamaha is good, but no one builds them tougher than Kawi. Not much has changed. Same engine and chassis. We discussed on the board the other day that the LED headlights were upgraded/changed. Other than that, nothing major that I’m aware of. You’ll enjoy the new machine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You made a good choice. Yamaha is good, but no one builds them tougher than Kawi. Not much has changed. Same engine and chassis. We discussed on the board the other day that the LED headlights were upgraded/changed. Other than that, nothing major that I’m aware of. You’ll enjoy the new machine.

That is great to hear! Was curious if there anything to expect or know when it comes to these machines and does/donts. But this machine has been around for awhile, without change, which was big.

One other question, so the base model only comes with the one set of headlights. Can I add a second pair where they are on the LE model?

I have not seen the machine in person (limited availability on teryx4 base models in Michigan after calling dealers, driving 2 hours to pick it up) so I have not seen the base model in person (have seen LE), but not sure if you can add a second set of headlights in that spot where the plastic is.

·
Administrator
Christ is King
4,127 Posts
That's one of the best things about the Teryx - nothing to really be concerned about it. I bought the first year model Teryx4, nearly 9 years ago, which is usually a risky move to buy a first year model. Never had a single issue with it before I sold it in 2016 with a little under 3,000 miles. I know guys with 3x that mileage and no issues. If I was in the market to buy a new one today, I would pick the Teryx.

Search for "fuel vent mod". I'm not sure if Kawi has upgraded their fuel tank vent, but in the past it was a little too low and there was a possibility of getting water in the fuel tank if you do a lot of water riding.

The headlights are upgradable. The base models usually come with halogens, so you'd do well to add a second pair. Definitely go with the LED headlights. I'm actually going to be reviewing a pair, hopefully in a few weeks, so you can watch out for that if you'd like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's one of the best things about the Teryx - nothing to really be concerned about it. I bought the first year model Teryx4, nearly 9 years ago, which is usually a risky move to buy a first year model. Never had a single issue with it before I sold it in 2016 with a little under 3,000 miles. I know guys with 3x that mileage and no issues. If I was in the market to buy a new one today, I would pick the Teryx.

Search for "fuel vent mod". I'm not sure if Kawi has upgraded their fuel tank vent, but in the past it was a little too low and there was a possibility of getting water in the fuel tank if you do a lot of water riding.

The headlights are upgradable. The base models usually come with halogens, so you'd do well to add a second pair. Definitely go with the LED headlights. I'm actually going to be reviewing a pair, hopefully in a few weeks, so you can watch out for that if you'd like.
I will definitely look at the fuel vent mod. Appreciate the insight there. I'll be adding some lights and a wench as well. Seems that you can get snow plows for these at a decent price as well.

Hopefully this machine can handle some work!

·
Administrator
Christ is King
4,127 Posts
That won’t be a problem! I referred to mine as a small tractor.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
107 Posts
You will enjoy the machine for the situations that you are describing. I run a plow on mine, although I just put it on this year and we haven't had much for snow this year in SE MI... I've only used it once for snow and once to grade the gravel driveway. As far as mods, a winch is a must in my opinion, and I went with a Super ATV winch and mount - I really like this mount because it sets the winch up higher so it is out of the water and mud and also a better angle for using the plow. Absolutely go with a synthetic rope winch if you can, it is very much worth the extra cost. For the vent mods, check out Brute Performance, they make a kit that is super cheap and will give you all the parts to vent the fuel tank, both differentials and the coolant tank - and the directions on the website make it super easy. IMO the rear diff vent is the most important if you will ever end up in water, as the stock one is very low. For windshields, the Super ATV flip up is a very popular choice for good reason. I like it a lot because it allows you to go from fully closed to vented, to fully open. The T4 does run pretty hot in the cab because of the mid engine, so you'll want the option to get some air flowing in there when it's hot outside. As far as riding in MI goes, it is a nice well rounded machine. I've had mine at Silver Lake and on some of the trail systems around St. Helen and Houghton Lake. You certainly won't win any races out on the dunes (or anywhere for that matter) but I was able to go anywhere I wanted to out there running about 6 psi in the stock tires. It also does pretty well on the Northern MI trails, although it has a hard time soaking up the washboard areas on some of the sandier trails - they can get pretty rough! Again, low PSI and compression adjustment on the shocks. Sometimes when I ride with all my buddies that have sport machines I do wish I went that route, but for the other 355-ish days of the year when I'm cruising with the family, hauling wood, working on the farm, hunting, plowing, etc. I really like my Teryx4.

Reactions: mrwvsportsman

·
Registered
9 Posts
That is great to hear! Was curious if there anything to expect or know when it comes to these machines and does/donts. But this machine has been around for awhile, without change, which was big.

One other question, so the base model only comes with the one set of headlights. Can I add a second pair where they are on the LE model?

I have not seen the machine in person (limited availability on teryx4 base models in Michigan after calling dealers, driving 2 hours to pick it up) so I have not seen the base model in person (have seen LE), but not sure if you can add a second set of headlights in that spot where the plastic is.
Save your money on the lights and install a light bar. I have a '20 base 2 seater. Added a 22" light bar to the front brush guard for around $50. Plenty of light for night trail riding. Do all you other mods first, then add lights if you still think you want to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You will enjoy the machine for the situations that you are describing. I run a plow on mine, although I just put it on this year and we haven't had much for snow this year in SE MI... I've only used it once for snow and once to grade the gravel driveway. As far as mods, a winch is a must in my opinion, and I went with a Super ATV winch and mount - I really like this mount because it sets the winch up higher so it is out of the water and mud and also a better angle for using the plow. Absolutely go with a synthetic rope winch if you can, it is very much worth the extra cost. For the vent mods, check out Brute Performance, they make a kit that is super cheap and will give you all the parts to vent the fuel tank, both differentials and the coolant tank - and the directions on the website make it super easy. IMO the rear diff vent is the most important if you will ever end up in water, as the stock one is very low. For windshields, the Super ATV flip up is a very popular choice for good reason. I like it a lot because it allows you to go from fully closed to vented, to fully open. The T4 does run pretty hot in the cab because of the mid engine, so you'll want the option to get some air flowing in there when it's hot outside. As far as riding in MI goes, it is a nice well rounded machine. I've had mine at Silver Lake and on some of the trail systems around St. Helen and Houghton Lake. You certainly won't win any races out on the dunes (or anywhere for that matter) but I was able to go anywhere I wanted to out there running about 6 psi in the stock tires. It also does pretty well on the Northern MI trails, although it has a hard time soaking up the washboard areas on some of the sandier trails - they can get pretty rough! Again, low PSI and compression adjustment on the shocks. Sometimes when I ride with all my buddies that have sport machines I do wish I went that route, but for the other 355-ish days of the year when I'm cruising with the family, hauling wood, working on the farm, hunting, plowing, etc. I really like my Teryx4.
I agree with the SuperATV windshield, but I have found one drawback. It will blind you when it is closed and riding directly into the sun. I've had a couple of times I wished I had a glass windshield when I couldn't see the trail. It can be quite the experience when approaching a change in the trail and you can't see it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts