Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

2022 KRX 1000 Wheels & Tires On a 2016 Teryx4 LE

5K views 36 replies 8 participants last post by  huntertim214 
#1 ·
I finally got the 2022 KRX 1000 beadlock wheels and 31 x 10 x 15 tires on my 2016 T4 LE
After Installing The High Lifter Offset A-Arms with 2 inch lift on Front & Rear, I was ready for bigger Tires
At 1st, I got the 1 inch thick wheel adapters, then discovered that the front wheel barely touched the end of the steering rod & would not let wheel spin.
So I used a 1.5 inch thick 4/137 to 4/156 wheel adapter, 108mm ID to 110mm OD hub centric rings, & Splined open ended lug nuts ( 12mm x 1.25mm ) to bolt adapter on, & 12mmx1.5 flanged nuts to bolt KRX Wheels onto adapter. The tires barely start to rub on body at almost full turn so for now, I just won't turn them that far, In the future I might remove the added recall part on the back side ( on front of body behind the front wheels ) so they clear
The holes on the adapters were too small for socket to fit, Then LiftedT4LE told me about splined nuts & socket, and that did the trick.!!
all the parts came from Amazon:
VLAOSCHI Black forged 4x137 to 4x156 ATV Wheel Adapters 1.5 Inch Thick with 12mm x 1.5mm studs
Hub Centric Ring Set 110mm Wheel Bore OD to 108mm Hub ID Compatible With Toyota Sequoia FJ Cruiser
Muteki 31885B Black 12mm x 1.25mm Open End Lightweight Spline Drive Lug Nut Set with Key ( set of 20 )
M12x1.5mm 304 Stainless Steel Fine Thread Flange Hex Nuts Lock Nuts

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

See less See more
#3 ·
i havent had time to go check yet, the nice people at Brute Performance told me i would lose a little bit of low end power, but not enough that i would need to have any clutch work done. and not to climb hills unless im in low gear, which i do already. they do sell a clutch spring kit that will get the power back and said its easy to install. I think its $75 to buy the kit. i'll probably buy the spring kit soon and put it in
I'll post again after i get a chance to take it down the road and find out.

Reactions: 303hunter
#4 ·
i havent had time to go check yet, the nice people at Brute Performance told me i would lose a little bit of low end power, but not enough that i would need to have any clutch work done. and not to climb hills unless im in low gear, which i do already. they do sell a clutch spring kit that will get the power back and said its easy to install. I think its $75 to buy the kit. i'll probably buy the spring kit soon and put it in
I'll post again after i get a chance to take it down the road and find out.
Do those highlifter a-arms not come with 2 shock mount options? I thought the rears did and assumed the front arms did too but it looks like you have a bracket lift bolted onto the front arms.

I'm interested in hearing about how that spring kit performs. Is it the EPI WE437577 ? The most info I could find on it was on the brute perfomance site. The reviews on the epi site are all good but it's the internet.

#5 ·
Hi Andy
That is the spring kit they told me about. the tool needed to install the spring kit is $80 but they told me you can make your own for around $10. if you look in some of their pics you can see it a little better. looks like some all thread and a flat piece of metal and a washer or two
And the rear a arms do have 2 position mounts for the shocks, The front a arms do not, but they come with that bracket you see in the pics.
and I did not describe the spring kit good enough, Brute performance told me that it almost brings all the power loss back. they also said 31x10 tires are the biggest you can go without needing clutch work, if i went with 32 in tires thats when clutch work is needed. I had to run right after I got the tires on yesterday and have been gone all day today
so I still havent got to drive it

Reactions: Andy>
#6 ·
303Hunter this might answer your question
I just took it down the street and back and dont notice any difference in low gear, I have a steep driveway and it ripped right up it
In high it is a little sluggish when 1st starting out but still hardly noticeable, and once you get it rolling it feels like the same power, i still plan on getting that epi clutch spring kit to help the clutch
ive had it for several months now and still havent done any trails, so i might not be the best person to ask about power loss. but i finally get to go on saturday, meeting LiftedT4le in disney oklahoma. I hope I get to tease some razors and can am's :)

#7 ·
303Hunter this might answer your question
I just took it down the street and back and dont notice any difference in low gear, I have a steep driveway and it ripped right up it
In high it is a little sluggish when 1st starting out but still hardly noticeable, and once you get it rolling it feels like the same power, i still plan on getting that epi clutch spring kit to help the clutch
ive had it for several months now and still havent done any trails, so i might not be the best person to ask about power loss. but i finally get to go on saturday, meeting LiftedT4le in disney oklahoma. I hope I get to tease some razors and can am's :)
I recently replaced the factory 27’s on my S model with 29’s and I can tell a tiny bit of difference taking off, but when the clutches engage fully it’s not even noticeable. The 29” Megabites feel like they weigh twice as much as the stock 27”, and I’m thinking that’s where the extra resistance comes in.

#8 ·
I just did my 1st trail ride in the T4, I met LiftedT4LE at Disney, Ok. and was amazed in how it climbed such steep trails! If LiftedT4le hadn't been there to show me what these things can do, I wouldn't have had the nerve to do some of the trails we did yesterday. I did have to go around some tall rocks that he had clearance for, his T4 has 25 inches of insane ground clearance vs my 16 inches. The new 31's made a huge difference, i wouldn't have been able to do the steep stuff with my factory 27's
It was great to finally meet him in person and I'm so glad he was there to teach me. I still didnt notice any power loss the t4 climbed everything. I even forgot to lock the front diff on 1 steep hill climb and still made it to the top (barely) I was almost at the top when I couldn't make it up a rock ledge. but I was able to get past it after some wheel spinning and hopping right up it. I had so much fun yesterday!!

#11 ·
Glad you had a great time,maybe next time you can stay longer. The Saturday night ride was Insane! I just arrived home now the real fun begins unloading all my things & washing my rig!

#9 ·
I am quite surprised you don't need some sort of noteworthy clutch mod to turn those wheels/tires. That a lot of extra load for the primary to manage. Was that outing trail riding as well. I see you doing some climbing/crawl which is typically slow moving.

#10 ·
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

It was a Fun Saturday Toddbluh & his Tyrex did well. If you ever get a chance to go to Disney Oklahoma do it, it will put the Tyrex4 thru some rugged terrain & wicked trails. We were the only 2 Tyrex4's at Disney this weekend. I did pull a guy up some steep trails in a Ranger as he had 20lbs of air in his tires luckily I keep a tire gauge. I aired him down to 8lbs I told him low air pressure here is key. After that his rig preformed better no more wheel spin. We also helped a rolled over Can Am. Both people or groups that was there was there 1st time at Disney neither were in the same group. Being I run 30%portals on 34"tires it gears me down below stock gearing lots of low end with low midrange so I can stay in High gear in 2wd & climb pretty anything unless it's straight up or rutted, then I'll throw it in 4x4 . If super bad or really steep low gear with diff lock on witch I ended up doing late last night. I met a bunch of guys on the trail & they had a sheet stretched out & nailed to trees with a projector & fire stick as well as 2 nice fires going as it was in the low 20's & they had the UFC fights on in the middle of no
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant

Wood Darkness Event Font Projector accessory

where on a hill they call Pantie Hill, lots of Undies nailed,tied or stapled to the trees Hence the name Pantie Hill.

#12 ·
CCC we did trails too. I was in high gear on those, but put it in low whenever climbing hills, so as not to be hard on the clutch. the T4 did amazing with the 31's on it. I will be installing that clutch spring kit from epi this winter just to be easier on the clutch and not have to worry about it. but it didn't feel like it needed it.

Reactions: CCC and LiftedT4Le
#14 ·
Toddbluh you did great for you're 1st time in you're Tyrex4 in Disney,I can't say so much for others on there 1st time.
Im glad you had a fun time,that's what it is all about. A great time & meeting others on the trail who may need help out or just to shoot the shizzle.. I'm one who stops to always make sure other riders & their rigs are good to go.

#13 ·
I think they call it panty hill because of the people who wet themselves going up that trail and have to remove them at the top. I didn't have that problem.... I almost sh*t my pants when I momentarily got stuck going up near the top because I forgot to lock my diff.:) thanks so much for showing me around and for showing me what these things can do
I was standing next to Lifted's T4 when he got the camera out, but moved next to mine so i wouldn't look like i was 4 feet tall. all of you would have been asking if Lifted photo shopped and old mans face on a kids body if I hadn't moved. pictures of his T4 don't give you the right perspective, it's taller than it looks in pics. He spent most of the day in 2wd high gear while I was in 4wd and low gear most of the time, and he made it look so easy which sucked because then I thought "that was easy" so I followed him instead of saying "Hell no, I'm not doing that" . early on, we went down panty hill I started thinking I'm following the wrong guy, maybe I should go hook up with some other beginners here. But he's a great teacher and I'm glad I kept following him and even gladder that I didn't have to go commando on my way back home :)
wish I could have stayed for the night ride, maybe next time.
It was a great day! i got to see a can am rolled on it's side, then I saw a razor owner struggle with trying to remove his busted axle out so he could put a new one on, while our T4's had no problems :) Heeheehee.... don't tell your razor friend I enjoyed seeing a broken razor. I'm so glad I bought the T4

Reactions: LiftedT4Le
#15 · (Edited)
I think they call it panty hill because of the people who wet themselves going up that trail and have to remove them at the top. I didn't have that problem.... I almost sh*t my pants when I momentarily got stuck going up near the top because I forgot to lock my diff.:) thanks so much for showing me around and for showing me what these things can do
I was standing next to Lifted's T4 when he got the camera out, but moved next to mine so i wouldn't look like i was 4 feet tall. all of you would have been asking if Lifted photo shopped and old mans face on a kids body if I hadn't moved. pictures of his T4 don't give you the right perspective, it's taller than it looks in pics. He spent most of the day in 2wd high gear while I was in 4wd and low gear most of the time, and he made it look so easy which sucked because then I thought "that was easy" so I followed him instead of saying "Hell no, I'm not doing that" . early on, we went down panty hill I started thinking I'm following the wrong guy, maybe I should go hook up with some other beginners here. But he's a great teacher and I'm glad I kept following him and even gladder that I didn't have to go commando on my way back home :)
wish I could have stayed for the night ride, maybe next time.
It was a great day! i got to see a can am rolled on it's side, then I saw a razor owner struggle with trying to remove his busted axle out so he could put a new one on, while our T4's had no problems :) Heeheehee.... don't tell your razor friend I enjoyed seeing a broken razor. I'm so glad I bought the T4
Lol, I think you are correct ToddBluh! I'm glad you didn't have to change you're Undies on sight & hang them from a tree either,not a sight I would have wanted to see nor the others who were up on top. Yeah you do look like a little kid in the pic. Lol Yes true with my portals geared @30% & running 34" tires vs 35"s it gives me more low end torque & mid range than a stock Tyrex so I can run in High gear & 2wd almost every where. WHO NEEDS TOP SPEED WHEN CRAWLING? Not me. Lol
I am glad you had a Great Time & I'd never put you in a position I didn't think you & you're rig couldn't handle. Yes, the Can Am driver that put his rig on its side, it was there 1st time to Disney. I'm glad he had friends with him but they should have taken the low road vs the high road,I'm glad his wife & child were ok as well, & he wasn't hurt as it could have been worse. We came in Entry Hill just at the right time to help. Just like the later that day I,or we helped others in need throughout the day. The day b4 I had to get out my jump box to get a Rzr started he left his whips on & he said it killed his battery,I'm thinking his battery was shot, he was an older gentleman with his wife & his buddy in another rig but I got him started & back on the trail. Yes next time maybe we can plan a longer trip & do a night ride as well. Other than you might not have wanted to follow me on some of the trails at night. Lol I won't say a word yo him, atleast they got the old axle out & the new axle in. Wish my Go Pro battery wouldn't have crapped out on me or I'd gotten some great video of our day. Glad you made it home safe & you didn't lose the Tyrex from my tie down job. Lol

#17 ·
they are hub centric, and the hub diameter is slightly bigger than the teryx hub so you will need hub centric rings to fill the gap. I got them at amazon. 110mm wheel bore O.D. to 108mm hub I.D.. Another thing I had to get was splined lugs & a splined socket, as the lug holes are too small to get a socket into to tighten them down. I'll add links to both so you can see.

Reactions: Jamo22Teryx
#19 ·
Always happy to help when I can.

#21 ·
Hi rsscoggins
The Teryx hub diameter is 108mm, and the factory teryx wheels inner bore is 108mm so they go right onto hub.
The KRX wheels are 110 mm inner hub bore, so I needed to put 108 to 110mm hub centric rings on to fill in the gap between the teryx hub and the KRX inner wheel hub diameter.
That way you know it's centered and in place when you put the KRX wheels on. I found that it was easier to put them on the wheels, then put the wheels on because they stay on the wheels better than on the hub of the teryx when installing the wheels.
I was just as lost as you and had never heard of hub centric rings before, I wasn't going to buy the wheels because of the larger bore than the teryx wheels, but my future son in law told me to get them and to get the hub centric rings and it would work and they do. the hub centric rings don't cost much, but you know they're centered and right where they are supposed to be. I hope that helps ya'

#22 ·
Thanks for the prompt response. Still a little fuzzy to be honest but I haven’t taken everything apart yet and won’t until next week as we have a motorcycle trip this weekend. Maybe it will take since then.
So we have 3 parts -

1. the Teryx hub
2. The wheels spacer (which has an inner potion that goes on the hub and an outer portion that mates to the KRX wheels)
3. Finally the KRX wheels.

if I understand correctly - the Teryx hub is 108 mm and the spacer is 110 mm on both sides and finally the KRX wheels are 110 mm. Is that understanding correct?

so the spacers would go on the hub so that the spacer is still hub centric. However, there is no lip on the outer portion of the spacer and no lip on the KRX wheels so thee is no way to keep the KRX wheels hub centric when mated to the spacer - is that correct as well?

Thanks for your patience!

#23 ·
It sounds like you almost have it figured out. I should have mentioned about the "spacer" The teryx has 4/136 lug nut bolt pattern, while the KRX wheels have a 4/156 bolt pattern. So you need a 4/136 to 4/156 lug nut adapter/spacer
The adapter's come in 3 widths ( 1 inch, 1 1/2 inch, & 2 inch thickness's ) The 1 inch is not enough and the inside of the front wheels will be up against the tie rod end and the wheel won't spin freely. The 1 1/2" clears by a half inch and works great, But I plan on getting the Super ATV heavy duty tie rod ends which have a bigger diameter over the factory tie rod ends so I went ahead and removed the 1 1/2" spacer/adapters and put the 2" spacer on and now I should have the clearance when I get them. The adapter/spacer has the same 108mm diameter as the hub of the teryx. so 1st you bolt the adapter to the hub ( using splined lug nuts, explained below ) then you put the 108mm to 110mm hub centric rings in the center hole of the KRX wheel and bolt it onto the adapter/spacer. the hub centric ring is 110mm on the wheel side, and narrows to 108 mm on the adapter side so there is no play and you know they are centered. since the KRX wheels have a deeper offset on the inside of the wheel, they don't stick out 2" more and its really close to the original factory width. I should also mention that the holes on the adapter are too small to get a socket in so you can tighten them to the teryx hub, so you will need a splined lugnut kit that has the lugnuts and the splined socket for them. I got all 3 items ( the wheel adapters, hub centric rings, & the splined lug nut set ) from amazon and can post the links to those on here if you would like to see them. one last thing, the studs on the adapter are a different thread pitch than the studs on the teryx hub, I just bought lug nuts that look the same as the factory lug nuts, but in the new thread pitch.
I hope I haven't confused you more now, just come on over and I can show you mine and you will see how easy it is in a couple minutes. I was confused in the beginning too, because I had never heard of hub centric rings, or splined lug nuts either. but it all went on easily once I had the right parts.

#24 ·
Thanks I have the 2” spacers that you originally linked to as well as the splined lug nuts and the hub centric adapters. Just waiting on the flat lug nuts to come in from Fastenal.

I am sure it will all make sense when I put it all to together next week.

Another question - the hub centric adapters are plastic. I ordered different ones than you had listed so not sure if yours were metal or plastic?

#25 ·
did you find metal hub centric rings? Mine are plastic and when I switched from 1 1/2 thickness to 2" adapters, I discovered 2 were broken so I ordered another set to replace them. I would rather get metal hub centric rings
If you ordered metal rings let me know where you got them. I could have re-used the broken plastic ones I had as long as I was careful and get them into place. but cheap enough to replace and have peace of mind.

#26 ·
Feel free to ask me any questions you might have on this project. I'll answer them if I can.
But it sounds like you won't have any problems getting it done. Looks like you have the parts needed.
I should have asked this 1st, but do you have the offset A-arms needed to put the 31x10 KRX wheels & tires on it?
I got the High Lifter offset A arms, but wish I had bought the SATV offset A arms, the SATV A arms have zirt fittings on them while the highlifters don't.

#27 ·
Feel free to ask me any questions you might have on this project. I'll answer them if I can.
But it sounds like you won't have any problems getting it done. Looks like you have the parts needed.
I should have asked this 1st, but do you have the offset A-arms needed to put the 31x10 KRX wheels & tires on it?
I got the High Lifter offset A arms, but wish I had bought the SATV offset A arms, the SATV A arms have zirt fittings on them while the highlifters don't.
Yes sir, I have the SATV arms and 2" lift. Probably going to ditch the lift and go with shocks that have the lift built in. Thanks for answering the questions thus far!

#29 ·
I say buy 2 sets of the 110 to 106 aluminum ones, then heat each one up and perfectly stretch out the 106 side to 108, then send me one of the sets :)
I'm still undecided between longer shocks for lift ( & ride ) versus portals and the gearing they provide.

#31 ·
hey Sorry for the late reply, I was on the road to kansas city & back yesterday to help my daughter & fiancee paint a room in the house they just bought.
i think either way would work. whichever is easier to stay in place while you put the wheel on.
i put it on the adapter the 1st time, and on the wheel the 2nd time i did it, both worked just fine.

#33 ·
Thanks for the pic., Wow that looks great!
I feel like it will go about anywhere with those bigger tires, I can go places I wouldn't before when I had the stock tires.
If you want to get a spare tire, Facebook marketplace is a good place to find them at a good price since so many KRX owners pull them off and get bigger tires soon after getting their KRX. The spare I got has the matching green beadlock ring that matches your Teryx ( mines red ) and the tire doesn't have 300 miles on it.
what part of the country do you live in? I'm west of Branson, Mo.
I hope you get to take it out on some trails soon, you're going to like it even more. I air mine down to 8lbs in each tire when I'm going on the trails. I've climbed a couple steep hills that I would have been afraid to try if I hadn't been following LiftedT4le. I saw what these wheels and tires & Teryx can do on my 1st trip out.
I'm glad I could help. The next thing you should do is put some matching green stripes on your gladiator, especially if thats what you use to trailer your Teryx to the trails :)

#35 ·
Do you go to the offroad park down there? I've only seen it on tv ( Fourwheeler on motortrend channel ), it looks fun. I'm not that far away. We might have to plan a trip in the spring. I also want to go to the trails by the Mulberry river & some along the Big Piney river just north of russelville ar. After I get a skid plate, longer shocks will be next, then i can remove the lift bracket too. I'm not familiar with QA1 shocks, I'll have to look into them. I've only read about the Hester Elka Shocks so far.

#36 · (Edited)
My buddy used to own that park in Hot Springs with 14 other "friends". You don't stay friends too long when you go into business together so it got sold a few years ago. I have never been as you have to pay to ride there and there are sooo many other spots to ride in the national forest to ride for FREE. PLUS he said a lot of the trails at the park are very aggressive, rock crawling trails. We have mainly ridden in Mena and Mount Magazine as we used to live in Dallas and that is as far north as we wanted to go. Now that we have a place in Hot Springs, there are a ton of places north (Mulberry Mtn, Mill Creek etc) that we have plans to ride this year.

Search QA1 on this forum. There is a 7 page post on them and I added a write-up to that post based on my experience with these shocks. I couldn't stomach paying double the cost for Elkas or Bandits. I am sure they are fantastic but if I am sinking another couple of grand more into this machine, I will just upgrade/trade.

Question on your 31 Carnivores - do you rub on the drivers front at the large bumpout under the master cylinder?