Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about going with a hi lifter a arm up grade for my 2021 Teryx . Was wanting to know if 30 inch tires were to big for the machine to Handel after the a arm up grade or should I just go wi 28 to stay on the safe side?

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
Thinking about going with a hi lifter a arm up grade for my 2021 Teryx . Was wanting to know if 30 inch tires were to big for the machine to Handel after the a arm up grade or should I just go wi 28 to stay on the safe side?
No issues with mine saved weight with new wheels and tire vs the 28" so that is a plus

Attachments

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I've ran 30" tires on beadlocks (so the overall combination is on the heavier side) for several years with the stock clutching and I think it performs fine. Actually have 2 sets, one is Crawler XG for rocks and trails and the other is 29.5" Terminators for muddier trails. Long weekend rides are more difficult/technical trails so rocks, ruts, and hill climbs in places like Brimstone and Windrock. I run the Terminators because local areas are always sloppy and slick mud...not doing deep intentional mud bogging but the local riding areas consists of peanut butter clay most of the time and the Crawlers suck in mud. My setup is SuperATV arms in the front, Highlifter arms in the rear, and Bandit shocks that provide around 2" of lift. Clutching would probably feel great but don't really feel a need for it. Maybe if I did heavy mudding it would be different.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
213 Posts
I've ran 30" tires on beadlocks (so the overall combination is on the heavier side) for several years with the stock clutching and I think it performs fine. Actually have 2 sets, one is Crawler XG for rocks and trails and the other is 29.5" Terminators for muddier trails. Long weekend rides are more difficult/technical trails so rocks, ruts, and hill climbs in places like Brimstone and Windrock. I run the Terminators because local areas are always sloppy and slick mud...not doing deep intentional mud bogging but the local riding areas consists of peanut butter clay most of the time and the Crawlers suck in mud. My setup is SuperATV arms in the front, Highlifter arms in the rear, and Bandit shocks that provide around 2" of lift. Clutching would probably feel great but don't really feel a need for it. Maybe if I did heavy mudding it would be different.
Not to go off topic of the thread, but do you feel that the higher center of gravity with the lift and 30" tires is a detriment on the technical/steep trails at places like Windrock or Brimstone? Is the extra ground clearance worth the increased COG/"tip factor". I am only a year or so into the sxs game, coming from decades of atv's, so maybe it's just my inexperience but some of those trails around Northern TN seemed a lot more sketchy in the Teryx than my quad (like when you're off camber looking down a cliff). Maybe I just need more seat time to get comfortable but I'm still trying to find that balance of ground clearance and lift while keeping that center of gravity as low as possible to keep my shorts clean, lol.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Not to go off topic of the thread, but do you feel that the higher center of gravity with the lift and 30" tires is a detriment on the technical/steep trails at places like Windrock or Brimstone? Is the extra ground clearance worth the increased COG/"tip factor". I am only a year or so into the sxs game, coming from decades of atv's, so maybe it's just my inexperience but some of those trails around Northern TN seemed a lot more sketchy in the Teryx than my quad (like when you're off camber looking down a cliff). Maybe I just need more seat time to get comfortable but I'm still trying to find that balance of ground clearance and lift while keeping that center of gravity as low as possible to keep my shorts clean, lol.
I installed the original 2" lift and 2" spacers at the same time, so while I raised the CG I also increased the width. I also did the lift and spacers pretty early in the game so didn't have a lot of seat time on harder trails prior to it. Prior to getting the Teryx I spent 15 years trailriding fullsize rigs (Jeeps and trucks), and rode quads as a kid. When I first started riding the Teryx it just wasn't familar and I was a little cautious, but was also "used" to the off-road feeling. A couple weekends ago we were on an easy ride with a group that doesn't do serious trailriding. At one point we were running paved roads and just pulled off to the side to regroup and ran down into the ditch and sat there. I didn't think I was any where near close to rolling and it felt completely comfortable, but several people in the group comment that they thought I was going to roll.

Anyway, the increase in ground clearance plays a huge factor in trail riding. I definitely noticed the increased clearance after the lift on the trail and didn't notice any more tippy feeling (again, I did 2" spacers at the same time). This is comparing it to my buddy's Viking on 28's. When my Teryx had no lift and stock 26's I had a hard time following him around and got high centered on ruts and ledges he cruised right over. After just the 2" lift I could navigate rutted trails and ledges better than he could even though his tires were bigger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts