Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had use of a Rhino 660 over the last few months, it belongs to my son-in-law. My use has been on a small ranch...cow operation...fixing fence has worked out great....but I need to buy my own. It will be a Rhino, Teryx, or maybe a Prowler. I suspect at this point it will be a Teryx. This Rhino has ITP rims and 589s. 27x9x12 fronts 27x11x12 rears.

My question is on what tires for my new RUV, whatever brand it may be. These 589s...I really like them, they are excellent in the mud, and without further research, that’s what I’ll get. BUT...I’ve read they ride rough....they do, if you get on hard pack. My use is almost never on a road, etc and will be gravel if I do. I’ve also noticed, they do tear up the ground a bit. Again not an issue on the ranch, but it certainly is in the back yard....I’ve had to ‘repair’ some areas, the result of some aggressive right foot work, and these tires.

Is there a tire out there that performs as well as the 589s, but loses both of the above traits?

·
Registered
77 Posts
With a Short Wheel base and Almost all tires are going to be of a aggresive nature you will see issues especiall since the rear axles are locked together and are not open such as ina pickup truck.

You can look into a Small truck allterrain on a 14" rim and be good to go

·
Registered
66 Posts
If ya go with a less aggressive tire you wont be happy...even the stock tires will tear up the yard if ya turn hard....executioners are a little more aggressive and will last longer than the 589's running gravel..

·
Just a guy with a toy
66 Posts
I have the 589s on a Can Am 800, not rough at all, and I know have the Kenda Executioners on our Teryx on again not rough at all unless you are on pavement and then a little bit.

The suspension is so good on these things that it ain't a worry.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right or wrong...I went with XTR Mudlites. I have not given them a good test yet.

I am noticing, the floor pan kick out on the Teryx is going to make it more forgiving on sling mud on you....I think.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes that is right ...However the front fenders being narrow you get alot of high speed mud and water flung from the top of the tires in your face...But hey arent ya suppose to get dirty???

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are alot of good tires out there for you kind of riding. How much mud do you plan on getting in? The executioners run short but so do some of the other tires. The tires I feel you need to look into are the Mudlite XL's. They seem to be the best riding tire out of the Executioners, 589's, Mudbugs, Gators, Swamp Witches, etc. But to me another tire you you should really look into is the Maxxis Big Horn. It is the best all around tire I have used, it does alot better in the mud then given credit for also.

·
Just a guy with a toy
66 Posts
See and I am the opposite and will never run a Mudlite again, they are too soft, don't work near as well in the mud as do other tires.

We have now been running the Kenda's for 2 weeks now and they are an awesome tire on this unit, we don't feel the bumpy bumpy ride typical of a mud tire, as the teryx has such a good suspension and is as heavy as it is.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've already pulled the trigger on XTRs. I have been ready lately, many really like the Bighorns, and if I had not bought already I would check them out.

My ranch has a lot of black gumbo. In the wet season, a pickup (not a mud truck) is likely to get stuck. For sure you will with a trailer of hay behind you. The tractor makes BIG ruts...which stay there for a long time (it's a big tractor 120hp). Short of it...you go through the pasture during the wet time, you cannot avoid getting mud AND cow poop all over you, at least in the Rhino with 589s. I'm hoping this Teryx with the XTRs...and fender flares...will do much better. Kind of think from the mud prespective it will.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
i ran the mud machines on my old grizzly,worked good in the mud but didnt climb very well.maybe because i had the tris on front and back?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts