Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 2018 T2 and am debating between a 6" lift, 6" lift without using lift brackets, or 4" portals. I am looking to stay around a 30-32" tire. Which setup will give me the best ride. I already have arches front and back arms, 1 1/2" wheel spacers, and 814's. Do mostly trail riding in Northeast PA, so lots of hills, some rocks, some deep mud holes in areas. Will portals help with articulation at all, being that they widen the stance?

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Portals will widen the stance, raise the ride height and add weight, I don't think it will affect articulation. You will also loose approximately 35% of your top speed due to gear reduction, which on a Teryx is a concern to some. We installed portals on a test vehicle with portals and 30" tires, looked awesome and definitely had some low end grunt, but it's top speed was only 30-35 MPH.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Portals will widen the stance, raise the ride height and add weight, I don't think it will affect articulation. You will also loose approximately 35% of your top speed due to gear reduction, which on a Teryx is a concern to some. We installed portals on a test vehicle with portals and 30" tires, looked awesome and definitely had some low end grunt, but it's top speed was only 30-35 MPH.

Mike
Thank you for the info. So even if I only went with the SATV with 15% reduction it would still hurt the overall top speed to that degree? This is good information, because I was under the assumption that if you chose a gear reduction and added that same percentage to tire size increase you would maintain the same top speed.

·
Vendor
880 Posts
Thank you for the info. So even if I only went with the SATV with 15% reduction it would still hurt the overall top speed to that degree? This is good information, because I was under the assumption that if you chose a gear reduction and added that same percentage to tire size increase you would maintain the same top speed.
You'll be pretty much back to stock speeds with the 15% and 32" tires. The portals won't technically add suspension travel because the shocks aren't effected...but it does add simulated travel (increased final articulation) from the added width.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll be pretty much back to stock speeds with the 15% and 32" tires. The portals won't technically add suspension travel because the shocks aren't effected...but it does add simulated travel (increased final articulation) from the added width.
Awesome, thanks for the info. Yes that's what I thought because of the width. With the 814's I am already so much happier than with the original Fox shocks and on top of the extra articulation I got it also seemed to make everything grip better with the shocks.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Based on already having the arms and shocks I would recommend the portals. For articulation I agree with what was mentioned above. You should have more useable articulation, meaning you could pull the front tire up on a higher rock before the opposite side rear comes off the ground. That is mainly because of the geometry changes. The angle of the suspension will stay the same but being longer puts the outer end (tire) further up. The added weight of the portals and leverage on the shocks should also make sure you get the most flex possible.

Also agree with the gear reduction part of it. There is about a 15% difference in the circumference between a 26" to 32" tires, so the 15% gear reductions should equal it out. However it doesn't compensate for the increased weight and rolling resistance of the tires and the portals. With 32" tires and 15% portals I would say the machine will probably feel slower and less powerful than with stock tires. Don't get wrong as I think it would work fine on 15% portals, just don't expect to have all the seat of the pants power you had with stock tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same setup and planning to add 4” portals in the future. The 814’s are great, worth every penny. I plan to run 33” tires and am torn between 15% and 30%. Any pros/cons to one gear reduction to the other? And does superATV offer any forum discounts on portals?

·
Vendor
880 Posts
I have the same setup and planning to add 4” portals in the future. The 814’s are great, worth every penny. I plan to run 33” tires and am torn between 15% and 30%. Any pros/cons to one gear reduction to the other? And does superATV offer any forum discounts on portals?
;) I'm sure I can help out a little.

For the gear reduction, it really comes down to how you ride. Personally, I'm always going to say lower is better, but if you're concerned about maintaining a top speed, then maybe the 15% would be the best. Around here, we're not really ever hitting top speed at WOT, so top end speeds aren't a concern.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You will also loose approximately 35% of your top speed due to gear reduction...
Isn't that before adding larger diameter tires?
I could certainly be wrong but as I understand it the bigger tires make up for some/all of the reduction as they effectively add higher gearing.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Funny, after rereading my post I see "loose" instead of lose! We had 30" tires in the one we did and it would only do 35MPH WFO. I don't remember what brand the portals were, it was probably 5 years ago.

Mike

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Isn't that before adding larger diameter tires?
I could certainly be wrong but as I understand it the bigger tires make up for some/all of the reduction as they effectively add higher gearing.
Correct. Portals with 15% gear reduction means you would lose 15% of your top speed, 30% reduction is 30% reduction in speed, with the same size tires.

The one thing you have to consider is the factory speed and rev limiter. If you just bolt on 15% reduction portals and don't reprogram or correct the speed reading the machine will show 50 mph on the speedo and activate the speed limiter when you are only actually moving 42-43 mph.....again, assuming you have stock tires. If you put the right size larger tires on it you can equal this out, or at least compensate to some degree. I would highly recommend having the ECM reflashed to get rid of the speed limiter and raise the rev limiter if you got portals.

I will also say again that larger tires will compensate for the gear reduction just in the larger size (larger circumference) in gearing, but they are still much heavier and harder to spin. So if you put 15% reduction portals and 32" tires that are 15% bigger on paper it seems to equal out, but if those 32's are heavy deep lug mud tires you are not going to be able to spin them the same as the stock tires in heavy mud.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts