Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· TOTM Winner May 2022
Empire slip on,Memphis sound bar, Tusk windshield, winch, light bar etc.
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just picked up a almost mint 2013 t4 that I'm getting ready to tear apart and do some major mods to. I'm definitely going to build the motor up but suspension wise I've been looking at the 6" satv lift kit and was wondering if I can just not install the upper lift brackets and bolt my stock shocks to the stock mounts? I do a bunch of trail riding on steep hills and I don't want it jacked way up in the air but I do want it widened out with better travel. Keep in mind I'm not trying to dump a fortune in this thing. Trying to keep my budget around $5000 total and that's including some motor work to get around 80-100 hp at the wheels. I'm doing all the work myself except for machine work and stuff like that. Has anyone seen anybody do this before or is it even possible?

· Vendor
1,070 Posts
I think @6.2Blazer is working on the same thing right now.

You would have to have longer shocks if you're not using the drop brackets. There are 2 shock companies selling specific shocks to make this mid-travel kit work. I wouldn't run the stock axles with it. It'll sit way too low and the ball joint plates on the arms will be at more of an angle than I'd like to see.

I'll try to copy his thread in here so you can check out all the options he's working with.

EDIT:
Follow along here:

· Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
651 Posts
Hey guys just picked up a almost mint 2013 t4 that I'm getting ready to tear apart and do some major mods to.
Nice to have you back in the Teryx club! I'm sure the 2013 is a much different ride than the S model was, but I'm sure you'll have fun modifying it into a beast. If you haven't watched Hester's Youtube video of his mid travel set up, you should check it out... pricey but badass.

· TOTM Winner May 2022
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I'll definitely check it out! I'll post pictures of the t4 when it's together. And yes it's definitely a completely different buggy than the s model but hopefully we can get her really working good for us. At least that's the plan anyways 😂.

· Registered
1,470 Posts
I recently posted some threads talking about this. The SuperATV 6" lift minus the brackets and longer shocks has been used for awhile. Hester's Motorsports sells a complete kit and you can e-mail him and get a quote. Hester's has Elka brand shocks for this kit. He actually had a good price on the SuperATV 6" lift when you buy the whole kit. Both Bandit and 814 also sell specific shocks to use with the SuperATV 6" lift.
Pretty sure the factory shocks would be quite a bit too short to use with the 6" lift and not lift brackets, however I haven't been able to get any dimensions of the longer shocks any of these companies sell....sent messages to all of them and none have responded with the total eye to eye extended length or stroke of their "mid travel" shocks. I am considering getting the 6" lift and modifying the brackets to use stock length shocks for maybe 2"-3" of lift until I can afford the longer shocks. By looking at pictures it appears the issue is not just the vertical height of the brackets but rather the lower shock mounts on the a-arms are further away from the frame. This puts the shocks at a steeper angle which effectively requires a longer shock to span the distance. For example if the shock mounts were 12" apart and allowed the shock to sit straight up and down " I " it's only 12". Now take the mounts and keep the up and down distance 12" but move the lower shock mount 6" further away from the frame so it sits an an angle " / " the mounts are now 13.5" apart.

· TOTM Winner May 2022
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I get what you're saying. I had a feeling they might be a bit short but wasn't completely sure. I'm still waiting on the lift to get delivered. Once it gets here I'll get a better idea of what can be done with it. I seen the Hester videos of the mid travel on YouTube and that's exactly what I'm going for. I actually didn't see his videos until after I conjured this up in my brain and ordered the lift but it is what it is. I don't have enough money up front to buy that kit anyways lol. So I'll build my own lol. I'm gonna try to get some info on shock lengths as well and hopefully we can come up with something. Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. I'll definitely let you know if I find anything out.

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Sounds like we have the same thoughts. My plan would be to get a bunch of baseline measurements on my current setup with the longer shocks (about 2" of lift) including ride height, shock lengths at ride height (weight on them), etc.... Probably pull the springs off the shocks so I could cycle the suspension. Then install the SuperATV components and set ride height where you want it (by jackstands under the frame) and see what the distance is between the a-arm and frame shock mounts and cycle the suspension. Was thinking about 1" more height than what I have now and mess with the geometry (shock angle) to see how much additional travel I could get.

Would really like to just get the longer shocks to start out with, but like you really don't want to spend the money.

· Vendor
1,070 Posts
If we could find the eye to eye lengths and spring rates from Elka, Bandit, and 814...we could possibly work with them to bundle it up cheaper. Or...to offer it on the website without the drop brackets...and maybe shave off a few bucks from the kit (with the requirement that you purchase the specific Elka, Bandit, or 814 shocks. Or....if one of those companies wanted to reach out to me personally....maybe we could just put together a comprehensive kit.

· TOTM Winner May 2022
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now that would be sweet. I guarantee there would be a lot of people interested in buying a kit like that.

· Registered
2019 Teryx4 LE; 814 Suspension; SuperATV skid plate, storage box, & flip up windshield
20 Posts
I have installed the SuperATV 6" lift with 814 standard(not mid length) shocks by modifying the SuperATV upper shock brackets gaining approximately 3" of additional lift, and having additional suspension travel. The front suspension travel with my setup is 14" versus the 16" of wheel travel that a true mid travel setup has. I did not measure the rear wheel travel. Attached are two pictures of the Teryx4 on my trailer with a line from wheel center to wheel center to see how much it is lifted. Total lift from stock is around 5". The third picture is from the rear showing the left side with stock a-arms and the right side is with the lift installed. The 4th picture is to show how small the 28" blackwater evolutions look with the SuperATV lift. I have 18" shock travel limiting straps in the rear and 17 in the front. I chopped the rear of the cage 6" before installing the SuperATV lift so the Teryx4 will still fit in my garage. I have 32" tires and new wheels I am working on installing, and will post a pic with the new wheels and tires after I finish installing them.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Car

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Now that would be sweet. I guarantee there would be a lot of people interested in buying a kit like that.
That is basically the SuperATV long travel kit.
https://www.superatv.com/kawasaki-teryx-3-inch-long-travel-kit
In final form this kit basically does the exact same thing as using the 6" lift kit as a mid-travel kit, except it comes with brackets to use the stock shocks but not give all the lift. It looks sweet and pretty much what I want....except it costs $3,000 with is over $1,000 more than the 6" kit and still retains the stock shocks (and it's only 2016 and newer, so a moot point for my '15). For $500 more you could buy a complete Hester's mid-travel kit which includes the shocks. Don't get me wrong as the boxed a-arms and other components such as tierods look "better" for doing a mid-travel setup I don't think it's worth the money.

· TOTM Winner May 2022
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now it just needs a 1000cc big bore kit and it will be the baddest buggy out there. 🤣🤣🤣

· Registered
2019 Teryx4 LE; 814 Suspension; SuperATV skid plate, storage box, & flip up windshield
20 Posts
Thank you. It does well, and I cannot wait to try it out with the 32’s. I’ll send a picture of it with the new tires and wheels when I get a chance

1 - 20 of 20 Posts