Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here, wanted to come on here and ask a question about a Kolpin Full Tilt Windshield i just bought from gearup2go.com. I have a 2011 Teryx 750, with a JStrong Roof with Speakers. So i bought this windshield thinking it would be nice to have, and when it got here i tried putting it on, and well, apparently there isn't enough room since i have a JStrong roof, the top part of the windshield won't go all the way up, so the bottom part of the top part of the windshield, if that makes sense meets the middle of the top part of the bottom of the windshield. My question is, how can i make this work? Will i have to take the roof off, maybe get some larger screws and washers to make it flush again, or will i have to ship this windshield back and keep shopping??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Where are you located in AR? I have the same windshield and might be able to help you if I could see what you're up against. I live in Jacksonville.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in Greenbrier

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ok. This is probably going to sound crazy. You can take 3" off the bottom of the lower piece without having to drill new holes for the lower mount. If that's not enough, you could move the bottom mount up so the bottom threaded hole lines up with the top hole in the lower windshield and drill a new hole for the top bolt. You would almost lose all reason for the half windshield but you would still be able to use the tilt feature which helps keep dust out of the passenger compartment.

You can also cut the top lip off the upper windshield if you need to. I know the J Strong top hangs down but I'm not sure how far below the upper bar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man i really didn't want to have to drill or cut, but if i have too, i guess i have too. Guess i should've did more research on the JStrong Roof's and the Kolpin Full Tilt Windshield before spending the money, but hell i didn't know. Live and learn. Thanks a ton for the quick response. I'll figure something out. If i do decide to go this route, i probably would rather try cutting that top lip off, just got to find something that will be able to cut it, any suggestions??

·
Registered
674 Posts
I would use one of those vibrating saws with a blade made for plastic to cut it. How much do you need to cut off to make it work with your top?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sorry man for the late reply, i will have to measure tomorrow and see for sure.

I was also looking and i really think, even if i did cut the top part and made it fit, even with the spot lights on the roof the tilt might not work because of them. I really should have thought this through a lot better apparently. I'm new to all this. As you can tell!

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Only problem with cutting it on top or bottom is you are cutting the bent part out which serves to keep it from flexing.

IF it was me, I would draw the bottom contour higher up on the lower piece, put masking tape on the windshield to protect it and use a jogsaw with a high number of teeth on it then smooth out the cut with a sander with tape on the edges. Should be pretty easy to do.

These windshields are made from polycarbonate so they will not break or crack

·
Registered
674 Posts
Only problem with cutting it on top or bottom is you are cutting the bent part out which serves to keep it from flexing.

IF it was me, I would draw the bottom contour higher up on the lower piece, put masking tape on the windshield to protect it and use a jogsaw with a high number of teeth on it then smooth out the cut with a sander with tape on the edges. Should be pretty easy to do.

These windshields are made from polycarbonate so they will not break or crack
This is what I suggested in my 1st response. If I were to take anything off the top section, it would only be the top 3/4" lip. I'd leave at least 1 bend in the top to keep it rigid in the center.

Sorry man for the late reply, i will have to measure tomorrow and see for sure.

I was also looking and i really think, even if i did cut the top part and made it fit, even with the spot lights on the roof the tilt might not work because of them. I really should have thought this through a lot better apparently. I'm new to all this. As you can tell!
J Strong makes a windshield that folds down that will work with their top but it runs around $400. This might be a better option as opposed to cutting the Kolpin windshield.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that is the route i'm going to go. I really don't want to have to cut anything. Therefore, i'll probably be sending this one back. I hate to do it, but i can't make it fit. I'm going to do some research on that J-Strong windshield, thanks for the heads up. Thanks for all the replies and help. I've been a reader of this forum for awhile, great forum, great people here! Thanks again!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
No problem. Where do you ride? A group of guys on here went to Windrock ATV Park in TN last week and some of them want to come to Arkansas to ride. I was thinking Wolf Pen Gap in Mena or Superlift OHV Park in Hot Springs. If we can get the ride together, you're welcome to come along.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moccasin Gap i believe is what its called. The National Forrest just north of Russellville. Only been there once, it was alright, the place is huge of course, better have a GPS on hand, you'll get lost in there. Luckily i was with another person who has a Rhino, he had the GPS. I'm not big on mud pits, sinking the teryx, i dont' mind some, but i won't be sinking mine. I'm hoping mine will last me a good while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts