Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have an anchor point you installed for a snatch cable or winch hook to connect to the front and back of your Teryx?

In the back, I put in a 2" hook receiver I have used for recoveries in the past, but I was looking for a reliable spot on the front of the T4 to run the winch cable back to if I ran out to a snatch block. I'd rather know these things before I get in the soup than have to hook someplace not p referred when it's raining and I'm waste deep chocolate milk.

I'm in a 2016 T4 with a 4500lb KFI Winch in the factory mounting spot.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm looking for something for the front too. I have one of these on the back. It doesn't stick out far. But the hooks on my buddies winches are too small to fit around the shackle so I stuck another clevis on there. Works good. Way better than using the hitch safety chain holes I see others use all the time!

For the front I'll probably weld a hook, hoop or piece of chain with a hook on it near the hitch plate. The front bumper looks too crapy use to pull from.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was thinking of picking up a soft shackle to go around the hook in the back that a winch hook could connect to.

I looked at the bolt on recovery hooks but I'm not sure where I would feel comfortable drilling mounting holes at. There are uprights welded to the frame behind the winch that look like another good spot for a soft shackle, but would be very inaccessible if the front end was in the mud very deep. It is also only about a 3" gap between the front shroud mounts and thew inch to get a hook through.

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,129 Posts
You could upgrade your front bumper. Mine not only gets the winch up out of the way to help keep it clean and dry, but it also gives me 2 "D" hooks to hook back to (although I've never needed to do that). You should be able to hook your snatch block to the one tree, and your winch to another tree back closer to you and serve the same purpose.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
62 Posts
I have the Super ATV winch mount, which mounts the winch up higher. I then attached a "Jeep style" tow hook to the factory winch plate. This gets the winch up higher where it is more protected and easier to access when you are stuck in some deep stuff, and also gives you a strong tow point for double line pulls or snatch recoveries... and the SATV winch mount is pretty affordable compared to upgrading to a whole bumper or something. It's a little hard to see in the pic, but below the winch is the hook.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the Super ATV winch mount, which mounts the winch up higher. I then attached a "Jeep style" tow hook to the factory winch plate. This gets the winch up higher where it is more protected and easier to access when you are stuck in some deep stuff, and also gives you a strong tow point for double line pulls or snatch recoveries... and the SATV winch mount is pretty affordable compared to upgrading to a whole bumper or something. It's a little hard to see in the pic, but below the winch is the hook.
View attachment 62978
That looks like the easiest way to go. I'm cheap and do like the winch down low as I like to think if it was any higher and I'm winching onto someone else's quad I'd be pulling myself down even further rather than up and out. There usually aren't many trees to winch onto in the middle of meadow full of bottomless muskeg and the trees that are there usually pull right out of the ground.
I may try to rig up a receiver hitch on the front and jam a clevis mount in it for being yanked out and also be able to use my spare winch mounted to a hitch I'll now be packing around with me....

Turns out I broke the drum on my warn winch on my last trip. The rope was all bound up and not reeled in properly so I'll take the blame for that one.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
62 Posts
That looks like the easiest way to go. I'm cheap and do like the winch down low as I like to think if it was any higher and I'm winching onto someone else's quad I'd be pulling myself down even further rather than up and out. There usually aren't many trees to winch onto in the middle of meadow full of bottomless muskeg and the trees that are there usually pull right out of the ground.
I may try to rig up a receiver hitch on the front and jam a clevis mount in it for being yanked out and also be able to use my spare winch mounted to a hitch I'll now be packing around with me....

Turns out I broke the drum on my warn winch on my last trip. The rope was all bound up and not reeled in properly so I'll take the blame for that one.
I like to keep the winch up out of the mud as much as possible, especially when I need to get to it for a recovery, but that certainly makes sense about the leverage of pulling down to another machine when you're trying to pop it up and out of the mud. I also use my Teryx for plowing snow so I like the winch up higher for that as well as the angle of pull is easier on the winch and rope. You may be able to mount a tow hook or shackle mount underneath that factory winch plate with the winch on it, if you could get it back far enough to get some bolts through behind the winch? Although, if you're buried in muskeg you would likely have a hard time getting to it.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Agreed with VH. SuperATV front bumper.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts

·
Aug 2020 TOTM Winner
85 Posts
Brute performance sells a plate that bolts under your winch, it’s great
Thanks for the tip! It looks like a good option for us stock bumper folks.
https://bruteperformance.com/products/ols/products/brute-performance-teryx-front-pull-plate

Fortunately, I've never had to winch out of any situation (yet)... I was thinking that in a pinch, I could loop a tree strap around the bottom of the winch plate to use with a snatch block since there was nothing to hook on to on the front of my machine. Not sure if it would work, but it seems the plate listed above would put the stress on the same 4 bolts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts