Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Is anybody running 28x9x14 & 28x11x14 Blackwater evolutions on aftermarket rims? The rims are 14x7 with a 5+2 offset.
I have ordered the tires, rims and arched a-arms, however i'm not going to be able to get the a-arms installed and alignment done anytime soon.
Its on a 2018 2 seater. I'm wondering if i'm going to have any clearance/ rubbing issues with the tires till I can get the a-arms done.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The Blackwaters run on the smaller side so I would think it would be fine. I put a set of 27's on my dad's Ranger and compared them to the factory 26" Bighorns that came on mine and they were identical in height, so would expect the 28" Blackwaters to be the same as most other 27's.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Anyone running 28" Blackwater evo's?

My 2013 T4 has 28x10x14 blackwaters all around on STI wheels. With a 2” lift they didn’t rub until I had the recall for the floorboards done. After the recall work I had to grind away some of the new plate. It will just barely rub now if the wheel is a full lock and there’s a lot of weight on the front tire. I’ll probably need new tires after hunting season. If they were new I don’t think they would fit without some more work with the grinder and dead blow hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I now have the Super ATV arched a-arms and 2" lift also. The Blackwaters have done everything I expected them to, they are good on trails and not to bad in the mud, but I try to avoid the mud these days anyway.
Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Which lift are you using with the arms? The tires were on the machine when I bought it and I’ve been perfectly happy with them. I don’t get into deep mud if I can help it but for eastern mountain trails and muddy hill climbs they’ve been doing good.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Which lift are you using with the arms? The tires were on the machine when I bought it and I’ve been perfectly happy with them. I don’t get into deep mud if I can help it but for eastern mountain trails and muddy hill climbs they’ve been doing good.

Depends on which brand of arms you have. If they are SuperATV arms than only the SuperATV lift if the only bolt-in option. The Highlifter arms come with the options of either keeping stock height or a 2" lift.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I run 28" bighorns. 2 inch spacer and beadlocks 4-3. No issues. Tires run small though. 28 mudlights as well and no issues.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I also got a set of the Blackwater Evulutions for our 2020 LE. The Bighorns went and rode well, but I did want a little more ground clearance and at least 8 ply. We ride in rocky areas, so I was worried about the stock 6 ply. I can use one of the stock ones as a spare now (on the front since it is smaller).
I went with the 28s. They are heavier, 6 lbs in the front and 8 lbs in the rear. These were different wheels than stock so not a really good comparison on weight, but heavier for sure.
Taller for sure also. Approximately 2 inches taller than the 27 inch Bighorns. Raised the machine 1 inch. I have not added a lift yet, but will need to. (I like the Brute Performance one based on description and reading and reviews.) Tires rubbed the floor guard on the driver side at full turn, but a rubber mallet fixed that for flat ground and slight yard angles.
I will post up after going riding some in the next few months.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
What’s the deal with the brute performance lift? Is it the one that moves the mount inward and makes the suspension feel softer?

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is how it reads. Makes some sense based on leverage, but not 100% sure if it really works in actuality. It also moves the shock inward to help with tire rub, though that is minimal. If I end up getting that lift, I will post my thoughts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That’d be great. Best I can tell my lift is Highlifter. It was on the machine when I bought it. The lift is fine but the machine rides like a log truck. Anyways, my blackwaters are still great. I might replace with the exact same ones when the time comes. They’re also made in the USA, which is a very big deal to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Rode the first time on the Blackwaters today. At Blue Holler.
Good -
They hooked up great. Good mud and dry grip. Good straight and lateral grip. Also did well on the rocks even when they were wet.
Ran in low most of the time due to low speeds.
Stock suspension and no lift. No rubbing.
Bad -
Got a sidewall puncture. About 3/4 inch from the rim. Slow leak. Used some CO2 cartridges to keep it Inflated to get back to the truck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Glad you liked them but that really sucks about the puncture. Will you have to replace it? A new tire on my machine would rub even with the lift. Did you have the floorboard recall done?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not sure on replacing yet.
I am going to mess with it today. The cut is about 1/2 wide at the surface but barely leaking, so I think the actual hole is small. I have a friend in the tire business, so I am going to see if he can patch plug it like they do in automotive tires. If he is confident in the patch, I may not replace. If he is not confident, I am will go with that as a spare and order a new wheel and tire. Then use the plugged one as a spare.
I have been reading this morning on Spare Tire carriers. Looks like I will be trying to fab something up to work off the receiver. I like being able to see behind me in the rear view mirror so the one mounts to the X on the cage is out for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hole was tiny on the inside. Easily plug patched.
I need to add some Slime or something like it. It would have fixed this hole for sure based on my past experience with that stuff.
I got the Brute Performance Lift. I started a thread about it in the Suspension area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts