Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got an opinion about the use of front and rear arm guards. Do they work and will they really protect? Tks

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
242 Posts
It probably depends on the type of riding you will be doing but I have always run them on my machines. For technical and rocky trails I think they do a good job at protecting the a-arms from impact and sliding across rocks, as well as offering some intrusion protection for the axle shaft. I am running some custom aluminum guards on the front of my T4, I haven't made them for the rear yet but I probably will, although the rear lowers are pretty stout from the factory.

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,415 Posts
I ran the big aluminum one's myself and HATED them. I trail ride and occasionally kick up gravel, mud and leaves, all of which loved to collect inside the shields. Total PITA to clean out too. Finally, after pulling them off one time to clean, because that was the only way to get it clean, I came to my senses and left them off for good.

So I would say that it definitely depends on your riding location. All I can say is, they never did me any favors and I no longer run them. I put the stock plastic one's back on and have had no problems since.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
242 Posts
I ran the big aluminum one's myself and HATED them. I trail ride and occasionally kick up gravel, mud and leaves, all of which loved to collect inside the shields. Total PITA to clean out too. Finally, after pulling them off one time to clean, because that was the only way to get it clean, I came to my senses and left them off for good.
This is a good point and can definitely be an issue, when I build mine I put in a few large drain holes/cut outs on the bottom side to allow dirt and leaves to wash out easily.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Had a buddy rip/tear a front CV boot after a year of riding so went and bought front and back aluminum guards, the next year of riding he took out 2-3 boots. They would get packed full of mud, dirt, and rocks and chew up the boots.

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,415 Posts
Had a buddy rip/tear a front CV boot after a year of riding so went and bought front and back aluminum guards, the next year of riding he took out 2-3 boots. They would get packed full of mud, dirt, and rocks and chew up the boots.
Exactly!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a friend with a Rzr and Ranger that said the same thing, so he took his off. I run the stock plastic and have never had any issues (and we ride a lot of rocky and muddy trails in E. TX and AR).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts