Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Aug 2020 TOTM Winner
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before pulling the trigger on what I'm about to buy, I thought I'd stop here and ask... I want affordable coms for cabin occupants to talk to each other (I do not need a radio, but like the idea of the option to add one later). The dedicated race intercoms and radios are really expensive, and I cannot justify spending that kind of coin.

I am thinking of going with an aviation intercom - FlightCom IIsx and 4 place expansion unit with 4 Rugged Air RA200 headsets. I can convert an ammo can (either a metal one or plastic one) into a dedicated enclosure for the intercom to keep it out of dust and elements, or velcro it down exposed on the middle cowl near the parking brake. I think I'd be in it for less than $500, maybe less if I stalk ebay.

What says the hive? Good idea, or no? My machine sees zero mud or deep water. It's mostly used for venturing on easy to moderate mountain roads or down to the beach with the family.

·
TOTM Winner Sep '21
737 Posts
Is there no cell service where your folks ride?

I personally would not want something the size of an ammo can attached to the center console.

·
Aug 2020 TOTM Winner
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cell service would not do much for the application I'm looking for... I am trying to figure out an in-cab intercom for occupants to talk. I went out to the garage and agree that an ammo can is much to big and cumbersome. I can probably fit the intercom box in a small canvas bag - it could easily be zipped up and protect the electronics from dust.

Has anyone used an aviation intercom in their machine?

Another option is walker's razor walkie talkie attachments that clip to their ear pro. Reviews are mixed and I'm not sure how they'd perform with the constant noise of the teryx.
https://www.walkersgameear.com/razor-walkie-talkie-attachment/

·
TOTM Winner Sep '21
737 Posts
Sorry, I didn't really understand what you were wanting to do. I thought from what you wrote in your post that you were wanting to assemble a communication system for folks to communicate between a cabin and the Teryx. My bad.

·
Aug 2020 TOTM Winner
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here is a thread with info on what you want to do, it is possible and a good idea.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=14001&share_type=t&link_source=app

Inexpensive coms
I saw that thread the other night and chose to take the plunge. I ordered 4 Rugged Air headsets directly from Rugged Radio's ebay storefront and am looking at the Flightcom box or a Pilot USA 4 place box. Surprisingly there are not many reviews on aviation intercoms to be found on the internet.

Flightcom IIsx (needs an expansion box to make it 4 place) https://www.flightcom.net/products/general-aviation-products/intercoms/iisx-portable-intercom/
This product seems to be pretty popular as a starter intercom system, and I've found people online who are using this in UTVs and Jeeps.

Pilot USA PCA-24
https://www.pacificcoastavionics.com/products/256-pca-24.aspx

The Pilot USA product looks like it has a bit more options, like being able to isolate crew (would be the adults in riding in the front seats), and the passengers (rug rats in the back). With shipping, this product also comes out to be about $55 cheaper.

EDIT: went with the flightcom system based on a review I found online saying the construction is all metal and robust and because it seems to be the more popular of the 2.

·
Registered
168 Posts
yeah one of those pictures is my stuff but have not finished the in helmet mic and audio have to make my own pigtail plugs almost have everything to complete, but with headsets would have been done already.

·
Registered
168 Posts
How/where are you planning to place those intercom boxes in your cab?
Good quality velcro main box center of the driver passanger and the other just rear most of center console, two way race radio is already on the dash radio spot

·
Aug 2020 TOTM Winner
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you think those boxes will fair okay exposed to the elements and dust? That location will keep it pretty dry, my main concern is the dust, as from what I hear these things are not weather proofed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Do you think those boxes will fair okay exposed to the elements and dust? That location will keep it pretty dry, my main concern is the dust, as from what I hear these things are not weather proofed.
Reason for velcoro is so i can remove it and clean or blow it out. yes they are not very sealed at all boxes they could be sealed with caulking? I am not anticipating getting them wet but the caulking would also help with that. i think i will seal them with clear silicone..m

·
Aug 2020 TOTM Winner
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My expansion box for back seat coms came in today, waiting the main intercom box and headsets... Hope to have them in early next week. I also am hopeful that someone with a similar setup will chime in to give input and feedback.

·
Aug 2020 TOTM Winner
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks great! How long have you had it set up that way, and any problems with it exposed to the moisture, dust, and dirt? That false ceiling looks like a good idea.

·
Aug 2020 TOTM Winner
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The more and more I look at your overhead setup, the more I like it. I may copy your mounting solution into my Teryx, if the simple idea of storing it in a small Craftsman toolbag hanging from the rear grab bar does not work out.

·
Aug 2020 TOTM Winner
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quick update: I took the machine out for a ride this past Friday - I used velcro strips to secure the intercom boxes to the bottom of a Glad disposable plastic container that fit perfectly in a small toolbag. I used a couple of bungee cords to secure the bag to the rear grab bar. That way if it really starts to storm, I can unplug all the headsets and cover up the electronics with the plastic lid. It also makes it very easy to put in and take out of the machine before and after rides.

The bag did a good job in protecting the boxes from dust, and suspending it from the bar kept it out of the way from the occupants. Overall, the headsets did a fantastic job in cutting the noise from the machine down and allowing the riders to talk and communicate. The feedback from my 2 kids were positive - they said the ride was so much more fun being able to talk to each other. My only regret was not springing for an intercom box that cut the pilot and copilot out of the passenger's conversations, as I was treated to a medley of Christmas carols and school songs!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts