Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a backup light today.I got a cheap set of small driving lights and installed on in the center under the tailgate.I had to mount it to the piece of plastic below the tailgate.If I tried to mount it to anything metal it would either arc,stay on all of the time or cause it not to fire.:banghead:

The light has a hot and a ground wire but for some reason it wants to ground out thru the bracket and cause a short.I was able to mount it to the plastic to get it to work right.I have never run across anything like this before.I thought I would post this in case anyone else wants to add a backup light also.:icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is perfectly normal. Most all ATV's and UTVs have a reverse position switch that connects to ground when you shift into reverse. So if the light is grounded to any part of the frame, it will be on all of the time as that is the side of the circuit that opens and closes. The sparks were probably from you hooking it up backwards. The Brown wire is the hot, the R/W wire is the ground per the manual. Going to be doing this in a few days so will double check on the colors.

You could always use these two wires to trigger a relay that would turn the lights off and on. That would eliminate the grounding issue as well as avoid any possible overloading of the reverse position switch circuit with too large of lights. Probably the best way to go about doing this mod.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is the wiring I was refering to. If you use a light that has a metal case and grounds to the frame, it will not work as happened above.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My mistake...hey what about picking up some rubber grommets to use between the Teryx frame and the light frames. Not only would it have some give, but would also preven the metal on metal contact??

Just a thought.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I suppose that would work but you would have to make sure the mounting bolts didn't touch both the light and frame. You could also try and find some lights with a plastic housing. It's really kinda dumb but as I mentioned, this is the norm for the way they wire these things.

In this case, we are installing a set of Warn 35 watt Trail Lights which have metal housings and metal brackets. So they will be on all of the time if wired directly to the factory harness. To fix, the harness will be used to activate a relay and the light power will come straight from the battery. Should not be too bad of a job as the rear is pretty open and easy to access. The lights will be mounted in an EMP rear bumper. We took the center 2 holes on each side and milled them out to fit the lights. Pretty slick how they came out. The lights are fully protected and out of the line of fire from the tires. Will be sure to post pictures when the job is finished.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is the only one I currently have. It is the EMP bumper with some openings cut into it to fit a set of Warn Trail lights. He had the bumper sprayed with a bedliner material.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is the only one I currently have. It is the EMP bumper with some openings cut into it to fit a set of Warn Trail lights. He had the bumper sprayed with a bedliner material.
so they work when dropped into reverse? draw us up a how to wire diagram please. i'm having issues

1 - 9 of 9 Posts