Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They say, “a picture is worth a thousand words”. So, I’ll keep the written part of this post short and instead show a bunch of photos.

I did not use an aftermarket winch mounting plate to attach the Badland winch. I used the Teryx stock mounting plate along with some spacers to raise the winch (see pic). Raising the winch is necessary to gain clearance for the fairlead & fairlead mounting plate above the Teryx front skid plate.

I drilled two new holes in the Teryx mounting plate. I also had to oblong two existing holes in the plate (see pic).

I did not install a dash-mounted rocker switch. I only intend to use the hand-held rocker switch on the 12’ extension lead. The plug receptacle is mounted inside the cab (see pic).

I cut all the wiring and soldered new fittings as needed to neatly fit the required wire lengths. There is no extra wiring bundled and zip-tied away.

I had to cut off 1/8” of the ‘blue’ cable mounting stud on the winch. If the blue cable stud is not trimmed the copper stud will make contact with the stock Teryx bumper.

That’s it. Really pretty simple install and the wiring goes together nice, clean, and tucked out of the way.

I had to drill two new 11/32” holes in the front of the Teryx mounting plate. I also had to oblong the two existing holes in the back. Note that the three existing holes on the left are already oblonged about ¼” as standard from Kawasaki.

I added steel spacers. The spacers are 3/8” I.D.x 3/4” O.D.x 1/2” Tall. I also added some shims inside the spacers that fit the 8mm mounting bolts closely so the spacers self-center when the bolts are installed through the Teryx mounting plate.

These photos show the spacers in place. The fairlead just barely clears the top of the front skid.

Longer winch mounting bolts are required.

This is where I mounted the control lead receptacle. A 7/8" mounting hole is the perfect size.

This is where the control lead receptacle enters into the inside of the Teryx center console. Access to this space is obtained by removing the center skid underneath the Teryx. The wire runs over to the existing Teryx wire harness and then follows the wire bundle straight up into the area on the left side of the fuse panel cover. It’s very easy to push the winch control wire up along the existing wire harness.

See the winch control wire zip-tied to the wiring harness on the left in this photo. Also, see the Badland’s ‘hot lead’ breakers are all bundled-up in electricians tape and a rubber sleeve (old bike tire inner tube) over the top. Then, the breakers are zip-tied to the right of the battery against the square tubing that is beside the radiator.

Winch control wire coming away from the firewall, alongside the air filter box, and then to the solenoid.

Winch wires all taped-up neatly and leading up to the solenoid.

The solenoid is attached to the square tubing that sits just to the side of the headlight housing.

All ready to get un-stuck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed this winch last year. I put both the dash mounted rocker switch and the hand held near each other in the dash. I like your placement of the switch much better. Shortening your wires also looks a lot better than the bundles I zip tied together. Nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like you install , do you know what model Badlands winch you have ...I see 3 different 5000 lbs on the web site...
I have the 3500 lbs on the rear of mine and a Bronco winch on the front ( and don't like it ) was on the Rex when I bought it..

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like you install , do you know what model Badlands winch you have ...I see 3 different 5000 lbs on the web site...
I have the 3500 lbs on the rear of mine and a Bronco winch on the front ( and don't like it ) was on the Rex when I bought it..
#61384. I think these are the newest design as the store was out-of-stock the week before I bought, and then they got a delivery the day before I bought mine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Beautiful install. Thanks for sharing...

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the compliments!

I could have bought a pre-fit mounting plate for the Teryx, but I am so 'cheap' I can't stand spending money when I don't have to (har har)! :grin I know VirginaHawk can appreciate my way of thought..., he is the only person I have heard/read of that fabricated his own roof on his Teryx!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great install and I love the pics! I bought mine last August and this is one of my next big buys for it. Hard riding around in all this GA mud without a winch!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just finished using my winch for the first time and it worked beautifully!

Was out in the woods behind the house shooting my new pistol. On the way back out I decided to cut through a different road that comes right in behind our property. I cut through the slushy snow for a mile right up to within 60' of busting out onto a cleared road on the property! That last 60' I got high-centered in an area where the snow was drifted deeper than the average surroundings (aaarrrgh)!

Pulled the entire usable length of the winch line and then attached a strap that went to a tree-saver around a 16" tree. In short, the Badland-5000 pulled the Teryx right through the deep drift with no trouble at all!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 5000 Badland winch on sale for $139.99. After seeing all the pics on how to install it, I am going to get on it today. Thanks for your great information and pictures on installing it on the Teryx. I have a 2015 model and we call it the T-Rex.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just bought a 5000 Badland winch on sale for $139.99. After seeing all the pics on how to install it, I am going to get on it today. Thanks for your great information and pictures on installing it on the Teryx. I have a 2015 model and we call it the T-Rex.
Good luck with your install!

Only used the winch twice but it's still working perfectly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts