Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start with I have trolled almost every forum on this topic for the last 3 days and cant find this answer. What is the available watts from the stator. I know that factory said is makes 340watts or so. That is not available. What does the engine use, no lights or whats the total that the rex uses. I did see endi statement that there is 100 watts for accessories. Is this right?

the reason why I ask: i have 3 solotek lights, hid conv, Rugged Radio, Led whip, oddyessy 925 and upgraded fan. i am going to put Led in the tail lights and i have had battery issuses. should I put in a sec battery and if i do should i use a isolator or a seperator like the 1314. i understand how a isolator works. if the aux battery is very low does the main still get some of the charge? Seems like the Seporator is better option.

Thanks

·
Work blows, I wanna ride !!
708 Posts
Let me start with I have trolled almost every forum on this topic for the last 3 days and cant find this answer. What is the available watts from the stator. I know that factory said is makes 340watts or so. That is not available. What does the engine use, no lights or whats the total that the rex uses. I did see endi statement that there is 100 watts for accessories. Is this right?

the reason why I ask: i have 3 solotek lights, hid conv, Rugged Radio, Led whip, oddyessy 925 and upgraded fan. i am going to put Led in the tail lights and i have had battery issuses. should I put in a sec battery and if i do should i use a isolator or a seperator like the 1314. i understand how a isolator works. if the aux battery is very low does the main still get some of the charge? Seems like the Seporator is better option.

Thanks
You've had batt issues even with the Odyssey ?? I ask because I've ran my 925 for a couple years now & never had an issue, I always top off my batt before a trip. Stays charged even on the annual 11 day trip to Dumont over Turkey Day.

I run Hid conv + 2 HIDs on the front bumper, rear amber led dustlight, 2 led whips, rugged radio w/ sirius sat radio & car-to-car, gps, on-board air compressor, horn, 2 led dome lights, & a 4500# winch when needed (which is just about every trip),

Ohh, and I almost forgot my wifes seat heater (& mine if it's it's really chilly)

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
hopefully this helps. This was research and info from others on the forums and my own research

Subject: Teryx charging stuff

24.2 amps-14v-340 watts
If it goes below 12.4V your not charging your battery

with all accessories on, you need to know how much amperage you are using, to find that out you disconnect the neg. cable on the battery, and run an amp meter between the post, and the cable with all accessories on. After that you will know what your amp draw is when all the accessories are running, then you need to know the charging output when your engine is running. If the amp output with the engine running is more than you are using, then the battery is charging.

24.6 amps at 14.4 volts, power = voltage x amperage, so the charging system should be good for about 350 watts. deduct 70 watts for stock head lights, I = P/E so the stock lights draw 4.6 amps, then there is the electronics, plus all other lighting, and the radiator fan, plus the resistance of wiring, we are probably left with between 10 and 13 amps available for after market lighting. this is all in theory of course, but you should be able to run at least two 35 watt HID, plus change the stock lights two HIDs, the charging system should be able to handle it

individual watts amps
stock 340 24.6
kc lights 4x55 watts 220 18.3
stock headlights 2x35 watts 70 5.8
stock taillights 2x5 watts 10 0.8
whip 12 0.8
guages

Watts to Amps Watts/Volts
Amps to Watts Amps x Volts
Watts to Volts Watts to Volts
Volts to Watts Volts to Watts

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
hopefully this helps. This was research and info from others on the forums and my own research

Subject: Teryx charging stuff

24.2 amps-14v-340 watts
If it goes below 12.4V your not charging your battery

with all accessories on, you need to know how much amperage you are using, to find that out you disconnect the neg. cable on the battery, and run an amp meter between the post, and the cable with all accessories on. After that you will know what your amp draw is when all the accessories are running, then you need to know the charging output when your engine is running. If the amp output with the engine running is more than you are using, then the battery is charging.

24.6 amps at 14.4 volts, power = voltage x amperage, so the charging system should be good for about 350 watts. deduct 70 watts for stock head lights, I = P/E so the stock lights draw 4.6 amps, then there is the electronics, plus all other lighting, and the radiator fan, plus the resistance of wiring, we are probably left with between 10 and 13 amps available for after market lighting. this is all in theory of course, but you should be able to run at least two 35 watt HID, plus change the stock lights two HIDs, the charging system should be able to handle it

individual watts amps
stock 340 24.6
kc lights 4x55 watts 220 18.3
stock headlights 2x35 watts 70 5.8
stock taillights 2x5 watts 10 0.8
whip 12 0.8
guages

Watts to Amps Watts/Volts
Amps to Watts Amps x Volts
Watts to Volts Watts to Volts
Volts to Watts Volts to Watts
I'm no electrician, but that seems like a great post.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i bought a ammeter because i am OCD like that and this is what i found out. i disabled the stator and took amp reads:

Motor running no lights .4 amps
Tail lights 1.2 amps
LED Tail Lights .3 amps
HID head lights 7.0 amps
Rugged Radio .1 amps
3 Solotek lights 17 amps
Total 24.3 amps

so i am pulling .3 amps less that the stator can handle. i am happy but that is ideal. just wanted to spread the finding. :campfire_flames_md_

1 - 5 of 5 Posts