Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I recently purchased a 2021 Teryx4 LE, and it is now time to hook up a battery tender for the winter. I have two questions:

1. Does anyone have a particular battery tender that you recommend?

2. The manual shows how to disconnect the breather tubes (by opening the front access/hood, However I am not able to find how to actually get to the battery. It doesn't seem accessible through front access/hood. Yikes ... does that mean that I need to squeeze my 6'1" frame through the wheel well and try to screw the leads on in that cramped space?

The forum has been very helpful to me, as a newbie. Thanks.

·
Administrator
4,015 Posts
Hi All - I recently purchased a 2021 Teryx4 LE, and it is now time to hook up a battery tender for the winter. I have two questions:

1. Does anyone have a particular battery tender that you recommend?

2. The manual shows how to disconnect the breather tubes (by opening the front access/hood, However I am not able to find how to actually get to the battery. It doesn't seem accessible through front access/hood. Yikes ... does that mean that I need to squeeze my 6'1" frame through the wheel well and try to screw the leads on in that cramped space?

The forum has been very helpful to me, as a newbie. Thanks.
Welcome, Robb.

1. I’ve used the Deltran battery tenders for years and never had a problem with them. I currently have a 4 bank system charging two of my ATVs, an electric start generator and a zero turn. A 2 bank charger is hooked up to my truck and another ATV battery. I have a battery tender Jr charging my big tractor battery. I also have a NOCO charger as well. It has more features, like cold/agm settings and 6v/12v settings, but I pretty much leave it on the normal 12v setting.

2. I’m not sure if the ‘21 model is setup different, but you may have to remove the air box if you ever need to replace the battery. Accessing the terminals shouldn’t be that difficult. I owned a 2012, so they may be different.

·
Registered
2018 teryx 4 le
60 Posts
You can access the battery thru passanger wheel well if you need replacement if you connecting leads for tender you can break loose thru wheel well....work nuts back on from up top reachng down by air box very simple im 6'0 190 get in there easy

·
Registered
17 Posts
I run the 800ma Waterproof Battery Tender up to my winch control relay because it is heavy gauge wire direct to the battery. After a ride weekend, I pop the "hood" off the front, run the wire up through the front driver side wheel well and plug it directly into the leads provided by Battery Tender.

The Battery Tender devices also come with clamps you can use if you do not want to bolt them on right now. The posts on my 2016 are accessible from behind the front passenger wheel. If you don't get clamps and need a set, send me a message and I'll ship you the clamp kit because I do not use it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How about just starting your machine a few times a month? I live in northern Maine, and at first I didn't think my first new ever owned 2019 Teryx 4 would fit in my shed, but I manage to fit it in. My plan is to treat the gas and start it a few times a month. We have 6 months of winter up here and that's a long time to let it set.

·
Registered
293 Posts
What about pickup a cheap little solar panel with some alligator clamps. I used to have one for my old king quad that would drain the battery if not used often enough. It came in handy on one winter camping trip where I killed the battery in my truck overnight(beer,campfire, stereo...)I hooked the little panel up and went quading for the day, came back 8hrs later and it had just enough juice to fire it up.

·
Aug 2020 TOTM Winner
97 Posts
This is what's clamped on to my battery right now:

It was around $25 at Home Depot. I start the machine up and let it run every other week or so to get it warmed up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome, Robb.

1. I’ve used the Deltran battery tenders for years and never had a problem with them. I currently have a 4 bank system charging two of my ATVs, an electric start generator and a zero turn. A 2 bank charger is hooked up to my truck and another ATV battery. I have a battery tender Jr charging my big tractor battery. I also have a NOCO charger as well. It has more features, like cold/agm settings and 6v/12v settings, but I pretty much leave it on the normal 12v setting.

2. I’m not sure if the ‘21 model is setup different, but you may have to remove the air box if you ever need to replace the battery. Accessing the terminals shouldn’t be that difficult. I owned a 2012, so they may be different.
Very helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about just starting your machine a few times a month? I live in northern Maine, and at first I didn't think my first new ever owned 2019 Teryx 4 would fit in my shed, but I manage to fit it in. My plan is to treat the gas and start it a few times a month. We have 6 months of winter up here and that's a long time to let it set.
I'd love to, but my garage is too small and I need to have my second car garaged as we have severe winters. I am storing it in a friend's pole barn. Thanks.

·
Specka
19 Posts
I use these and it makes it a lot easier.

I attach the battery leads pigtail from my battery tender to these along with accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't know that such a gizmo existed, Thanks for the info. I have purchased a great deal from Rocky Mountain - I'll log in and check it out. It sure appears to make life much easier. Thanks, again.

·
Specka
19 Posts
I didn't know that such a gizmo existed, Thanks for the info. I have purchased a great deal from Rocky Mountain - I'll log in and check it out. It sure appears to make life much easier. Thanks, again.
They’ve worked great. No complaints yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I tried a solar panel for a while. It may be coincidence but shortly after I started using it my stator went out. The panel I bought is supposed to have overcharge and back feed protection so who knows.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts