Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
July 2022 TOTM Winner
2022 Teryx SLE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m gearing up for my Hatfield McCoy trip with the tools I’ll need in case of belt breakage. Already have the 22 and 27mm sockets for the clutches, and the crow bar to hold them. Also have a new factory belt.

1st question is about my impact wrench. It’s a Ryobi 3/8” 18 volt with 220 foot pounds of torque. Will this be enough torque for the job? 2nd question is about the spreader bolts. What size/length do I need? Anything else I will need besides the tools to actually get to the clutches?

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,618 Posts
You can get your spreader bolts here:

As for your 3/8" impact, I have doubts about it being strong enough. It would be enough for the spreader bolts, but not the main clutch bolt. For that, I would reccomend an impact with a 1/2" drive. You could use the same tool to change a flat if needed. But the chances of you needing to change a belt on your trip are very slim. I've put over 4000 miles on the Hatfield and Outlaw trails and I've never blown a belt on a ride.

·
July 2022 TOTM Winner
2022 Teryx SLE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can get your spreader bolts here:

As for your 3/8" impact, I have doubts about it being strong enough. It would be enough for the spreader bolts, but not the main clutch bolt. For that, I would reccomend an impact with a 1/2" drive. You could use the same tool to change a flat if needed. But the chances of you needing to change a belt on your trip are very slim. I've put over 4000 miles on the Hatfield and Outlaw trails and I've never blown a belt on a ride.
I’d rather be safe than sorry, and have the equipment just in case. Tried the 3/8 impact on my lugs; it broke them loose, but just barely. Ordered a 1/2” impact this morning.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Is there a size/length bolt that I can buy locally?
You need a pair of m8x50. No way the 3/8 impact would do the clutch. How many miles do you have on your belt? These machines are known for not eating belts. If you are worried just put a new Kawasaki belt on before you go and use low appropriately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
July 2022 TOTM Winner
2022 Teryx SLE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need a pair of m8x50. No way the 3/8 impact would do the clutch. How many miles do you have on your belt? These machines are known for not eating belts. If you are worried just put a new Kawasaki belt on before you go and use low appropriately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info on the bolts. My Teryx only has 350 miles on it. I’m not really worried about the belt, just want to be prepared. When it comes time to change it I’ll already have the components. I’ve ordered the 1/2” impact.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
595 Posts
Thanks for the info on the bolts. My Teryx only has 350 miles on it. I’m not really worried about the belt, just want to be prepared. When it comes time to change it I’ll already have the components. I’ve ordered the 1/2” impact.
I understand being prepared for the worst, I do the same and all my buddies make fun of me... until they need something on the trail, lol. Bring a socket for your Teryx lug nuts to fit the new impact driver as well. I also make sure I have one for the truck and trailer wheels because I have used the impact to change those while traveling to and from the trails way more than I have on the Teryx. I actually made myself a little procedure cheat sheet that I carry in the glove box for changing the belt, just so I don't forget any tools before I leave or miss a step if I had to change it. I have opened it up a few times for maintenance and such, but I figure it's always different doing it out in the bush than it is at home in the garage. It would be a bit more stressful to change with 8 of my Honda riding buddies over my shoulder harassing me about how they don't use belts :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: .

Attachments

·
July 2022 TOTM Winner
2022 Teryx SLE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand being prepared for the worst, I do the same and all my buddies make fun of me... until they need something on the trail, lol. Bring a socket for your Teryx lug nuts to fit the new impact driver as well. I also make sure I have one for the truck and trailer wheels because I have used the impact to change those while traveling to and from the trails way more than I have on the Teryx. I actually made myself a little procedure cheat sheet that I carry in the glove box for changing the belt, just so I don't forget any tools before I leave or miss a step if I had to change it. I have opened it up a few times for maintenance and such, but I figure it's always different doing it out in the bush than it is at home in the garage. It would be a bit more stressful to change with 8 of my Honda riding buddies over my shoulder harassing me about how they don't use belts :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: .
I’m the only one in my group with a Kawasaki, so my tool pack will be completely different. I’ll be riding with several Polaris and one Honda, and they all are well prepared.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
595 Posts
I go through a belt every 1500 miles. I do lots of road running and I believe the heat is the problem.
Have you looked into a belt housing fan system? I am hoping to make my T4 street legal in the next year or so and I am thinking of adding a fan and belt temp sensor. But, I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with the actual difference that a fan system may (or may not) make. It's a pretty cheap and simple DIY project, just a 4" marine blower fan and some hose plumbed in, but the infrared belt temp sensor is the expensive part.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I’m the only one in my group with a Kawasaki, so my tool pack will be completely different. I’ll be riding with several Polaris and one Honda, and they all are well prepared.
Thats because they HAVE to be! :LOL:

If you are riding with Polaris owners, you might want to carry a good fire extinguisher... For them, not you ;)

For Kawasaki owners, carrying anything other than a spare tire could be considered overkill.

·
July 2022 TOTM Winner
2022 Teryx SLE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats because they HAVE to be! :LOL:

If you are riding with Polaris owners, you might want to carry a good fire extinguisher... For them, not you ;)

For Kawasaki owners, carrying anything other than a spare tire could be considered overkill.
Actually, one of the Polaris owners in our group says he’s going to buy a new KRX 4 seater. Says he’s tired of working on his Polaris!

He recently told he that when I bought my Teryx, he wondered why the hell I wanted a Kawasaki? Now after riding with me for a few months he understands.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yep, heat is the killer for these belts, especially if you road ride. I do lots of road riding so I bought a KRX-4. I'm thinking it will work much better for me.

·
July 2022 TOTM Winner
2022 Teryx SLE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, heat is the killer for these belts, especially if you road ride. I do lots of road riding so I bought a KRX-4. I'm thinking it will work much better for me.
I do a fair amount of road riding too but figure I can buy a bunch of belts for the cost difference of a KRX. Bought the Teryx because of the price point versus performance, and I can’t go but so fast through the woods.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
A friend of mine has a KRX. It's an extremely capable bike, but after sitting in it, I find that I rather prefer my Teryx. I like the upright "pickup truck" feel, especially off road.

·
July 2022 TOTM Winner
2022 Teryx SLE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A friend of mine has a KRX. It's an extremely capable bike, but after sitting in it, I find that I rather prefer my Teryx. I like the upright "pickup truck" feel, especially off road.
I driven and ridden in a RZR and a Can Am, and don’t like the seating position either. It feels like sitting in a sports car, and vision over the hood is limited. I’m also used to driving a truck and my Teryx just feels natural.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts