Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Kawasaki Teryx 4...I put a CATVOS 3" Lift Kit which is a complete suspension replacement including front and rear upper and lower control arms so I could run bigger tires, 33"BKT's on 18 inch rims. I put an EPI clutch kit they recommended but it was just springs and no weights as they said my model didn't need weights and then I put an EPI severe duty belt but blew that within 5 months. Any suggestions??

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,436 Posts
Get a clutch kit with weights. I recommend you contact V-Force John. He will likely have exactly what you need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get a clutch kit with weights. I recommend you contact V-Force John. He will likely have exactly what you need.
Ok I googled V-Force and I'm not sure what I'm looking, can you point me in the right direction??

And I'm going to go factory belt this time as I talked to 2 companies that don't have a belt for my machine listed on there website and that's what they both recommended??

My mechanic recommended portals but that's a big expense if I can take a cheaper route??

Thanks for all the help and pointers.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
273 Posts
Ok I googled V-Force and I'm not sure what I'm looking, can you point me in the right direction??
VForce John is pretty much the guru for Teryx clutch systems, here is a link to his website. Your best bet is to just call him directly at 570-773-1240, M-F 9am-6pm EST. Just tell him what the issues are and he will help you out and let you know if any changes need to be made.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Portals.... Lol! 🤣 I know you already mentioned it, but the gear reduction will save your belt, your axles, and the rest of your driveline.
And yet, I've heard people say that Portal's won't slow you down. Uhmm... gear reduction? :rolleyes:

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
273 Posts
And yet, I've heard people say that Portal's won't slow you down. Uhmm... gear reduction? :rolleyes:
It has to do with the fact that most people add bigger tires with the portals. The larger tire diameter basically counteracts the gear reduction, gaining you some of that loss back.

Reactions: SuperATV

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All your comments are all very valuable so ty. Ok, so my situation which initially left out is i'm in a wheelchair and portals will also give me a 4inch higher lift which makes things much tougher to get in as its already on 33's with a 3 inch lift and my wife's about to kill me for doing that as it just got dropped off at my house with the lift and bigger tires install and my wifes was like something looks different...lol

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
It has to do with the fact that most people add bigger tires with the portals. The larger tire diameter basically counteracts the gear reduction, gaining you some of that loss back.
That is probably the biggest factor. Going from stock tires to 32's would completely make up for, and actually a little more, than a set of 15% reduction portals........at least on paper for gearing purposes as you still have to have enough power to make up for the extra resistance of the portals and heavier tires and wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
All your comments are all very valuable so ty. Ok, so my situation which initially left out is i'm in a wheelchair and portals will also give me a 4inch higher lift which makes things much tougher to get in as its already on 33's with a 3 inch lift and my wife's about to kill me for doing that as it just got dropped off at my house with the lift and bigger tires install and my wifes was like something looks different...lol
So a question if I may? Why are you running 33's? Thats a lot of tire for an 800cc bike.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I do agree that "in theory" or "on paper" the taller tires should make up for the gear reduction of the portals. At least in my limited experience which was a stock 2015 that we ran 30" tires on, BIG at the time, it turned a 50mph machine into a 37mph machine. I don't recall the brand of portals or what the advertised amount of gear reduction was. As has been mentioned, I believe the added weight of the big wheels and tires comes into play on a 50H.P. machine.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So a question if I may? Why are you running 33's? Thats a lot of tire for an 800cc bike.
Recommendations from others locally after putting the 3 inch lift on and not getting the height lift I was hoping for...probably would have been cheaper to go with portals from the start but everyone I talked to locally said it would slow my bike down way too much...hmmm, probably should have posted on here first but live and learn.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I do agree that "in theory" or "on paper" the taller tires should make up for the gear reduction of the portals. At least in my limited experience which was a stock 2015 that we ran 30" tires on, BIG at the time, it turned a 50mph machine into a 37mph machine. I don't recall the brand of portals or what the advertised amount of gear reduction was. As has been mentioned, I believe the added weight of the big wheels and tires comes into play on a 50H.P. machine.

Mike
I agree with the added weight of the tires.
On the example above, so you are saying that machine had portals on it? Keep in mind that my above response was based on 15% reduction portals, and therefore obviously different when you start going to 30% or 45% reduction portals. It's also important to state exactly where the speed is coming from. As soon as you start changing tire size and/or installing portals the factory speedometer is going to be way off and you really need to at least delete the 50 mph speed limiter.
I will say that I have a '15 model running 30" tires on beadlocks and still hit the 50 mph limiter per the speedo (technically it's going faster than 50 mph if you measured by GPS), but it does take longer to get there.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Yes, we put portals on a stock machine .All of our speed measurements were always done by GPS, and as I said I don't recall the brand or specifics of the portals. It sure did look cool though, and was a crawling biatch in low!

Mike

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Use oem belts only!!!!! Verify part number as well. Should be 0031 belt for the 2012/13 t4 models.

Clean the clutches. Break in the new belt with a several heat cycles and low-medium load use at first. Some people say wash belt in dishwasher

As stated big large aggressive tires can cause more wear etc from the gearing On your year machine install a 2014+ secondary clutch and matching belt and you will gain low end gearing but lose some top end

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

Mike
It would be interesting to know what ratio the portals were. While I completely understand that "on paper" doesn't always equate to real life, going from stock to 30" tires and 45% reduction portals comes out to right at 37 mph actual (GPS) speed when the speedo would be reading 50 mph. I would also be curious to know if the top speed was limited simply by a lack of power, or was it hitting the limiter? It would also be curious to know how much power a portal sucks up (how hard it is to spin them), because just like mentioned 50 HP will only get you so far.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts