Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Vendor
936 Posts
There's no loss in power. You're just tilting the scales in the direction of low end torque instead if high end speed. I'd say that you were probably maxing out because of the rev limiter. Going WOT with portals is no different than WOT without when it comes to rpms. The motor is still turning the same rpms. Its geared down out at the wheels now for added low end torque for bigger tires. Getting rid of the rev limiter will help if you're worried about top end speed.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
There's no loss in power. You're just tilting the scales in the direction of low end torque instead if high end speed. I'd say that you were probably maxing out because of the rev limiter. Going WOT with portals is no different than WOT without when it comes to rpms. The motor is still turning the same rpms. Its geared down out at the wheels now for added low end torque for bigger tires. Getting rid of the rev limiter will help if you're worried about top end speed.
Portals have to take a certain amount of power to turn them, just simple physics. Even if only a small amount of power, that is power that is not going to the tires.

·
Vendor
936 Posts
Portals have to take a certain amount of power to turn them, just simple physics. Even if only a small amount of power, that is power that is not going to the tires.
I see what you're saying now. Kinda like dyno tuning where you know you'll always have more HP at the crank than at the wheels. Yes, there's less HP at the wheel that's been used to gear down for more torque. You may not hit 50 mph with 32"s and 30% reduction, but you'll get to....say 35mph (for example) a whole lot faster than another Teryx with 32"s and no gear reduction. If you don't need bigger tires, lift, and gear reduction, and you're concerned about top speed at WOT, then the portal thing may not be for that particular rider and riding style. If you need bigger tires, lift, gear reduction, and play in the mud or crawl...and don't care about top speed at WOT, portals are a game changer.

BTW...check out this cool little video on gear reduction and the physics of off roading. Be prepared to bust out your kids Lego kits.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I see what you're saying now. Kinda like dyno tuning where you know you'll always have more HP at the crank than at the wheels. Yes, there's less HP at the wheel that's been used to gear down for more torque. You may not hit 50 mph with 32"s and 30% reduction, but you'll get to....say 35mph (for example) a whole lot faster than another Teryx with 32"s and no gear reduction. If you don't need bigger tires, lift, and gear reduction, and you're concerned about top speed at WOT, then the portal thing may not be for that particular rider and riding style. If you need bigger tires, lift, gear reduction, and play in the mud or crawl...and don't care about top speed at WOT, portals are a game changer.

BTW...check out this cool little video on gear reduction and the physics of off roading. Be prepared to bust out your kids Lego kits.
Exactly. There are pros and cons of each setup, and a perfect example is why you don't see people running portals in the sand dunes or desert out west, but they are really nice to have in hardcore rocks and mud combined with large tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 Kawasaki Teryx 4...I put a CATVOS 3" Lift Kit which is a complete suspension replacement including front and rear upper and lower control arms so I could run bigger tires, 33"BKT's on 18 inch rims. I put an EPI clutch kit they recommended but it was just springs and no weights as they said my model didn't need weights and then I put an EPI severe duty belt but blew that within 5 months. Any suggestions??
Do you have e the stock rear shock i need one would but both. Let me know .
Mike B 805 218-8829 txt me

21 - 25 of 25 Posts